Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O-line overhaul-LT, C and RT are still not stable Mock
This Mock assumes that the Bengals win in the AJ McCarron grievance case and trade him to Cleveland for a 2nd round pick. 
(Watch us lose the case nullifying this Mock but here it goes)

1st - Mike McGlinchey (Left Tackle) 6' 7  310 pounds - Left tackle is still a glaring need and I have heard more than 1 Analyst that I respect consider McGlinchey to be the Top prospect at the position. Use this pick to fix the problem.

2nd (from Cleveland for AJ) - Orlando Brown - (Right Tackle) 6' 7   340 pounds - The right tackle position is still unsettled and this pick should settle it. Brown is a massive, athletic tackle with NFL bloodlines as his father was an NFL tackle. Has the girth you want in a right tackle and I don't want another season of hoping that Fisher pans out. Right Tackle problem should be fixed with this pick.

2nd - Malik Jefferson (Linebacker) - 6' 3   240 pounds - Entering the draft as a junior and playing next year as a Senior may have pushed him into round 1 of the 2019 draft. Bengals add some much needed linebacker talent to develop. They will likely bring in a Free Agent as well with a return of Kevin Minter or possibly Tahir Whitehead who Teryl Austin has worked with. Jefferson has good size and athleticism.

3rd - Frank Ragnow - (Center) - 6' 5   318 pounds - A larger man than Bodine that should upgrade the Center position. Dalton thrives when he can step forward to throw in the pocket and Ragnow may be the answer.

3rd (Comp pick) - Mike Gesicki - (Tight End) - 6' 6   252 pounds - Tall, athletic pass catcher with good size at 250 plus pounds. No longer hoping for a healthy Tyler Eifert to be able to play. If uncertain that Gesicki will be here, I would package another later pick with this one and move up earlier into round 3 to get him.

** This mock would allow for Tyler Eifert and Andre Smith to possibly not return with their money to be used elsewhere. Any odd players out like Jake Fisher/Cedric can compete at Guard or be backup tackles should they get beat out fairly quickly by a drafted player. Eric Winston could be a standby option like he was last year in case of injury. Andre Smith could still return with this mock but may not need to. Andre was the 2nd highest Free Agent signing last year so that money could be used elsewhere. Tyler Eifert could still return under a Bengal friendly prove it deal but the Gesicki pick should ensure healthy tight end options are on the roster. Offense thrives when the tight end is productive.
Reply/Quote
I’d love this draft. McGlinchy and Jefferson are two of my favorite prospects in the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't really think McGlinchey fixes any problem at LT. He's not an elite pass blocker by any stretch.

I would love Brown, but I'm not sure he makes it to the 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:38 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't really think McGlinchey fixes any problem at LT.  He's not an elite pass blocker by any stretch.  

I would love Brown, but I'm not sure he makes it to the 2nd round.

Former NFL GM Charlie Casserly has mocked Mike McGlinchey to the Ravens at pick #16 and he considers him to be a solid Left Tackle prospect.

Casserly was a successful GM and gets knee deep into his mocks for NFL Network. He gets into it and I respect his opinion.

Rare to have a former successful GM do extensive, well thought out mocks, so I give his more weight than say a Kiper/Mcshay/ or Website. 

I don't see the Bengals getting a legit Free Agent to solve the left tackle problem, so to me, we better take the Top prospect in this draft or we likely don't fix it. If another Left Tackle prospect rises to a Top half of the draft caliber guy then I am all for taking whoever that ends up being.

Orlando Brown at the top of round #2 may or may not be possible. He is getting late 1st looks or barely squeaks to the top of the 2nd. I see Orlando as a Lock if we were to get him to be an excellent right tackle. I maybe trade up to low 1st to make sure we get him (from Cleveland pick) but I think different than most which can be good or bad.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:52 PM)depthchart Wrote: Former NFL GM Charlie Casserly has mocked Mike McGlinchey to the Ravens at pick #16 and he considers him to be a solid Left Tackle prospect.

Casserly was a successful GM and gets knee deep into his mocks for NFL Network. He gets into it and I respect his opinion.

Rare to have a former successful GM do extensive, well thought out mocks, so I give his more weight than say a Kiper/Mcshay/ or Website. 

I don't see the Bengals getting a legit Free Agent to solve the left tackle problem, so to me, we better take the Top prospect in this draft or we likely don't fix it. If another Left Tackle prospect rises to a Top half of the draft caliber guy then I am all for taking whoever that ends up being.

Orlando Brown at the top of round #2 may or may not be possible. He is getting late 1st looks or barely squeaks to the top of the 2nd. I see Orlando as a Lock if we were to get him to be an excellent right tackle. I maybe trade up to low 1st to make sure we get him (from Cleveland pick) but I think different than most which can be good or bad.

Yeah, there are a ton of former personnel guys who do mock drafts.  Some are right, some are wrong.  To me, McGLinchey has too many warts in pass protection to be a top 12 guy.

The other thing, and I don't agree with it, is that I highly doubt the Bengals are even looking at T as a need (other than depth) at this point.

I think they feel that a new line coach along with young 1st and 2nd round picks in Fisher and Ced will suffice for the year.  Not my belief, but I just get that feeling.

Now, if there was a clear cut franchise type LT in this draft, I think they would take a look, but there's not.
Reply/Quote
Holy shit.....if they pulled that off, I'd be stoked.  Nice work!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 05:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, there are a ton of former personnel guys who do mock drafts.  Some are right, some are wrong.  To me, McGLinchey has too many warts in pass protection to be a top 12 guy.

The other thing, and I don't agree with it, is that I highly doubt the Bengals are even looking at T as a need (other than depth) at this point.

I think they feel that a new line coach along with young 1st and 2nd round picks in Fisher and Ced will suffice for the year.  Not my belief, but I just get that feeling.

Now, if there was a clear cut franchise type LT in this draft, I think they would take a look, but there's not.

This is what I would do as of now. I usually mock as if I am GM.

So who is your long term Left Tackle fix for the Bengals going to be then or their Planned guy long term ?  (Cedric/Boling/not many Free Agent fixes that they would actually pay up for) (later round tackle prospect that likely is not in McGlinchey's class but could be developed)  ?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 05:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: Holy shit.....if they pulled that off, I'd be stoked.  Nice work!

I am a Big believer in what looks like Over-Kill to many.

Three early O-line picks invested in fixing what everyone says is the problem.

Sounds logical to me & it looks like you too but is likely "strange thinking" to the Bengals Front Office and many others.

I say, use our resources to fix the problem and still get a few other positions of need early and in spades later on in the draft.
Reply/Quote
So hate the brown pick. Go read my scouting report in the q and a topic if u wanna know why. He needs 2 years to sit minumum.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 05:46 PM)Jpoore Wrote: So hate the brown pick. Go read my scouting report in the q and a topic if u wanna know why. He needs 2 years to sit minumum.

I'm seeing varying reports on Brown with late 1st and early 2nd round grades.

You could be correct that he takes a while to develop but you also said he has Pro Bowl potential.

It is still very early in the process and I am always open to changes in my mocks should better options present themselves.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 06:17 PM)depthchart Wrote: I'm seeing varying reports on Brown with late 1st and early 2nd round grades.

You could be correct that he takes a while to develop but you also said he has Pro Bowl potential.

It is still very early in the process and I am always open to changes in my mocks should better options present themselves.

Id switch mcg to rt and put rankin at left tackle. But that's just me.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 05:38 PM)depthchart Wrote: This is what I would do as of now. I usually mock as if I am GM.

So who is your long term Left Tackle fix for the Bengals going to be then or their Planned guy long term ?  (Cedric/Boling/not many Free Agent fixes that they would actually pay up for) (later round tackle prospect that likely is not in McGlinchey's class but could be developed)  ?

My guess is that we see Ced again at LT and a tackle drafted in round 2 or 3.
Reply/Quote
My hopes are the new coaching staff brings out the best in our little failed team. Still young enough to learn. How much heart left from the past will be left to be seen.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:52 PM)depthchart Wrote: Former NFL GM Charlie Casserly has mocked Mike McGlinchey to the Ravens at pick #16 and he considers him to be a solid Left Tackle prospect.

Of course Casserly mocks Quentin Nelson to us which kind of destroys your argument a bit.  I'd be satisfied with this mock despite not being overly thrilled with McGlinchey and the fact that McCarron won his grievance making it somewhat moot.  
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 02:03 PM)depthchart Wrote: This Mock assumes that the Bengals win in the AJ McCarron grievance case and trade him to Cleveland for a 2nd round pick. 
(Watch us lose the case nullifying this Mock but here it goes)

1st - Mike McGlinchey (Left Tackle) 6' 7  310 pounds - Left tackle is still a glaring need and I have heard more than 1 Analyst that I respect consider McGlinchey to be the Top prospect at the position. Use this pick to fix the problem.

2nd (from Cleveland for AJ) - Orlando Brown - (Right Tackle) 6' 7   340 pounds - The right tackle position is still unsettled and this pick should settle it. Brown is a massive, athletic tackle with NFL bloodlines as his father was an NFL tackle. Has the girth you want in a right tackle and I don't want another season of hoping that Fisher pans out. Right Tackle problem should be fixed with this pick.

2nd - Malik Jefferson (Linebacker) - 6' 3   240 pounds - Entering the draft as a junior and playing next year as a Senior may have pushed him into round 1 of the 2019 draft. Bengals add some much needed linebacker talent to develop. They will likely bring in a Free Agent as well with a return of Kevin Minter or possibly Tahir Whitehead who Teryl Austin has worked with. Jefferson has good size and athleticism.

3rd - Frank Ragnow - (Center) - 6' 5   318 pounds - A larger man than Bodine that should upgrade the Center position. Dalton thrives when he can step forward to throw in the pocket and Ragnow may be the answer.

3rd (Comp pick) - Mike Gesicki - (Tight End) - 6' 6   252 pounds - Tall, athletic pass catcher with good size at 250 plus pounds. No longer hoping for a healthy Tyler Eifert to be able to play. If uncertain that Gesicki will be here, I would package another later pick with this one and move up earlier into round 3 to get him.

** This mock would allow for Tyler Eifert and Andre Smith to possibly not return with their money to be used elsewhere. Any odd players out like Jake Fisher/Cedric can compete at Guard or be backup tackles should they get beat out fairly quickly by a drafted player. Eric Winston could be a standby option like he was last year in case of injury. Andre Smith could still return with this mock but may not need to. Andre was the 2nd highest Free Agent signing last year so that money could be used elsewhere. Tyler Eifert could still return under a Bengal friendly prove it deal but the Gesicki pick should ensure healthy tight end options are on the roster. Offense thrives when the tight end is productive.

Would be very happy if it happened this way. 

But FO will most never do it because it would be logical. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 03:30 AM)pledgi Wrote: Of course Casserly mocks Quentin Nelson to us which kind of destroys your argument a bit.  I'd be satisfied with this mock despite not being overly thrilled with McGlinchey and the fact that McCarron won his grievance making it somewhat moot.  

If Quentin Nelson is there still ? 

Then think we have to take him. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I see the Oline being addressed but idk if that fixes anything. I think you have got to try and get Nelson in 1. I think the bengals still have high hope for ogbuehi. So if they can draft nelson resign andre and sign a zach fulton or ryan jensen from free agency then i think we go into next season with a much more improved Oline. Andre can play left or right tackle although preferably at right and the hope is that ogbuehis play is much improved from last season. Ogbuehi, boling, Fulton, nelson, and smith would be much more improved than last year. doesnt break the bank and u dont go into this season like last with a bunch of young unproven guys on ur oline again.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 12:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If Quentin Nelson is there still ? 

I absolutely agree 100%
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 08:05 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: My guess is that we see Ced again at LT and a tackle drafted in round 2 or 3.

(02-18-2018, 03:30 AM)pledgi Wrote: Of course Casserly mocks Quentin Nelson to us which kind of destroys your argument a bit.  I'd be satisfied with this mock despite not being overly thrilled with McGlinchey and the fact that McCarron won his grievance making it somewhat moot.  

(02-18-2018, 12:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If Quentin Nelson is there still ? 

(02-19-2018, 10:40 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: I see the Oline being addressed but idk if that fixes anything.  I think you have got to try and get Nelson in 1.  I think the bengals still have high hope for ogbuehi.  So if they can draft nelson resign andre and sign a zach fulton or ryan jensen from free agency then i think we go into next season with a much more improved Oline.  Andre can play left or right tackle although preferably at right and the hope is that ogbuehis play is much improved from last season.  Ogbuehi, boling, Fulton, nelson, and smith would be much more improved than last year.  doesnt break the bank and u dont go into this season like last with a bunch of young unproven guys on ur oline again.

My references to Charlie Casserly are more as a General Guide rather than a pick by pick absolute following of his views.

He won a Super Bowl as a GM which puts him in a very, very small group of people and of those Super Bowl winning GM's, I am not sure there are any others doing extensive Mocks that they update constantly until the Draft. Casserly also attends the Combine where he sees prospects up close and uses NFL Network resources to study players and teams. A good Guide and I am sure that there are other good guides.

As for Quenton Nelson, I would be more than happy if he ends up being the Bengals pick. I want Thoroughbreds added to the line and Nelson is a thoroughbred. A Nelson/Boling Guard combination would be a fine upgrade. Guard positions tend to be easier to fill than Left Tackle positions and we may have some decent right guard options on the team already including possibly Jake Fisher moving inside should we have gotten Orlando Brown in this scenario. I went with Mike McGlinchey here in large part due to the glaring need we have for a Left Tackle. I see McGlinchey and Nelson as Top half of the first round prospects at their respective positions with Nelson being more of a thoroughbred but at a position we are less desperate to upgrade or have less options to upgrade with. In short, I would be happy with either one as part of a sustained effort to continue to bring aboard Top Notch prospects until all five of our starting Offensive Linemen are an Elite Unit league wide.

Get 2 to 3 Pro Bowlers on the Offensive line via Drafts over the next two off seasons and have any non-pro bowl starters we have be pretty darn good themselves. I agree that Quenton Nelson is more of a sure fire Pro Bowl prospect at his position than McGlinchey is, so I would have no problem going Nelson's direction in the Draft. I see McGlinchey in the pretty darn good left tackle prospect category which is a position off greater need, so I could also be happy with going that direction.

Either way, my mindset would be to obtain a Top 5 offensive line, possibly Rival Dallas for the best Offensive Line in the NFL and put the thoroughbred pieces in place over the next 2 Drafts.

Turn a weakness into a strength by adding thoroughbreds.

This mock added Mike McGlinchey (LT), Orlando Brown (RT) and Frank Ragnow ©

Starting this process of Upgrading off by taking Quenton Nelson (G) would be fine with me though.

I am open to any Combination of players added that will ultimately get us there.

Right now the Bengals are trying to make Chicken Salad out of Chicken cr@p.

I want to keep buying Prime or Choice Grade Steaks in pursuit of an Elite O-line, while still having a good number of picks to address other positions. Turn this O-line weakness into a Strength and then address other team weaknesses/units early in future Drafts. Let's face it, they won't be ponying up the money needed to get multiple Prime or Choice Free Agents.

Without pursuing it and investing in it, we may be lucky to just crack a Top 20 offensive line over the next 2 seasons, if the Bengals stay their typical course.

To me, if you are not pursuing ELITE status, then you likely won't ever see ELITE status.
Reply/Quote