Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deshawn Williams role moving forward
Watch Hardison's tape and you'll see why this guy could probably fill Gilberry's role without much of a drop off.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2016, 11:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Williams-acts-the-vet-on-D-line/315812fd-9840-4740-8af1-8390c2e5e562

The article above appears to suggest that Williams will be Geno's backup considering Thompson will definitely start the year on the PuP.

No idea who will fill the Gilberry role. Our backup DEs seem to be Hunt and Clarke and that's scary.

Yeah, read this earlier. DeShawn was impressive last preseason, he can rush the passer from the inside spot.

Probably Atkins/Peko early in the year with DeShawn and Billings rotating.

(05-08-2016, 05:45 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have a feeling hardison was drafted to take the Gilberry role.  

Yeah, me too. I just hope he produces cause Hunt and Clarke have shown us nothing.

Maybe the Ryan Brown DE UDFA will be good for us, he has good size and was good in college.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2016, 09:39 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: The team needs to be renamed the Cincinnati 3-techniques. Two defensive ends, 3 nose tackles, a bunch of 4-3 linebackers, and a ton of 3 techniques. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the front 7.

Dead on.  That's why I was really hoping for a speed rusher for rotation on the RDE side.  I have long said that was the missing piece of our defense.  No one to take advantage of the match-ups afforded by the likes of Dunlap and Geno.  MJ played hurt most of last year, but he is just not a speed outside threat.   

I don't think, at least not this year, that Billings can rotate with Peko enough to afford Sims to go, but no one else is really that type of player.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just want to link another article ( http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/05/11/cincinnati-bengals-deshawn-williams-2016-defensive-line/84227460/ ) discussing Williams and that he turned down a starting spot on the saints 53 for the opportunity to grow in our system. You have the head coach and the defensive coordinator taking this guy on road games and working with him personally. My prediction is that he not only makes the 53 this year, but a rotational starter that fills gillberry's roll on the inside pass rush. He's an inch shorter, but heavier and brandon thompson made comments that his body looks different after an extremely productive year of training. It's rare to see a true college free agent garner so much attention.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Williams isn't the first PS player who rejected other teams for the Bengals. However, he seems like a legit option to give Geno a breather. Our D didn't look good when Geno was rotated out last season. If Williams can step up, that'd be huge for our D.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 04:27 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Williams isn't the first PS player who rejected other teams for the Bengals. However, he seems like a legit option to give Geno a breather. Our D didn't look good when Geno was rotated out last season. If Williams can step up, that'd be huge for our D.

If Billings pans out and Hardison & Williams can step up better - or at least more consistently than Sims & Thompson our D-line should be improved.

Hardison, Williams and Billings need to get some significant 1st team snaps from the get go in pre season.  The vets should only need one game to get them ready for the season.  We need to know what they are going to bring.

And I'm feeling pretty positive about all three.  If so - if we can stop the run better (especially at the end of games) and put more pressure on the QB at the end of games we should be a Super Bowl contender.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for sharing the link - this was a particularly interesting decision because I was told those four games would have given him an accrued NFL season - which is huge when it comes to pensions, etc. The easy thing to say is Billings replaces Gilberry and Williams takes over Thompson's spot for the first 6 weeks while he's on PUP, with the team keeping 10 d-linemen again. Not that easy of course, but Thompson's situation gives them a little roster flexibility in that regard.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2016, 04:03 PM)Okeana Wrote: I just want to link another article ( http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/05/11/cincinnati-bengals-deshawn-williams-2016-defensive-line/84227460/ )  discussing Williams and that he turned down a starting spot on the saints 53 for the opportunity to grow in our system.  You have the head coach and the defensive coordinator taking this guy on road games and working with him personally.  My prediction is that he not only makes the 53 this year, but a rotational starter that fills gillberry's roll on the inside pass rush.  He's an inch shorter, but heavier and brandon thompson made comments that his body looks different after an extremely productive year of training.  It's rare to see a true college free agent garner so much attention.

Wow, interesting stuff.

Knowing this and how well he played last preseason along with the lack of production from Sims last year and the injury
to Thompson i agree with you and think DeShawn Williams makes the team. Atkins, Peko, Williams, Billings as our 4 DT's
this year.
Reply/Quote