Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit Game Duds
Margus Hunt. He did look fast the one time he jumped offsides...because no one else was moving.

Keith Wenning. Time for Joe Licata to replace him...for good.

Rey Maualuga. Not on the field for many snaps, but looks as heavy as a refrigerator and moves like one.

Shawn Williams. Tackles with his head down too many times. Stop trying to mame and just make the tackle.

And, as much as I hate to say it, Mike Nugent. It was indoors, it was turf, and you missed two routine kicks and nearly missed a third. It doesn't hurt now, but you have to get that crap straightened out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 09:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Margus Hunt.  He did look fast the one time he jumped offsides...because no one else was moving.

Keith Wenning.  Time for Joe Licata to replace him...for good.

Rey Maualuga.  Not on the field for many snaps, but looks as heavy as a refrigerator and moves like one.

Shawn Williams.  Tackles with his head down too many times.  Stop trying to mame and just make the tackle.

And, as much as I hate to say it, Mike Nugent.  It was indoors, it was turf, and you missed two routine kicks and nearly missed a third.  It doesn't hurt now, but you have to get that crap straightened out.

We really missed the boat on Brown.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I would add Cedric Peerman to that list as well. Had 6 carries for a solid -1 yard.

Personally I thought Dre K didn't have a very good game this week either.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 09:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Shawn Williams.  Tackles with his head down too many times.  Stop trying to mame and just make the tackle.

I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed like a couple of times he was right there to be able to swat down a pass or intercept it and did neither but try to hit the guy. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 09:54 AM)Sweetness513 Wrote: I would add Cedric Peerman to that list as well. Had 6 carries for a solid -1 yard.

Yeah, should've read the OP closer, I just assumed Dre was on the list.  He sure deserves to be.

Reply/Quote
I know we just paid Williams. I know Williams has shown to be capable when he can stay on the field. That said, I think he'd better be extra careful to stay healthy if he wants to keep Derron Smith at bay. He'll take a safety spot and run with it if given the chance.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 09:58 AM)samhain Wrote: I know we just paid Williams.  I know Williams has shown to be capable when he can stay on the field.  That said, I think he'd better be extra careful to stay healthy if he wants to keep Derron Smith at bay.  He'll take a safety spot and run with it if given the chance.

like he took that pick last night and ran with that!   ThumbsUp   
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 09:54 AM)Sweetness513 Wrote: I would add Cedric Peerman to that list as well. Had 6 carries for a solid -1 yard.

I know he's a STs stud and it's not too fair to grade him when he's behind 2-3rd stringers.  But I thought Burkhead and Carson looked much better running the ball.

And I think Carson looks better than any of our running backs in terms of plowing through a defense.  He not only appears to have really good vision and hits the hole like lightning, but when he makes contact he just takes 2-3 players another 3-5 yards after the contact.

If it's me I'm keeping that guy as a legitimate backup for Hill.

If he goes to the practice squad he'll be gone, and I'm not sold on Hill yet.  He looked good because he had holes the size of a freeway.  We've got enough players on STs to do well with.  But our backups are not really good runners (Peerman) or are fragile (Burkhead).
Reply/Quote
Dre K got worked by MLJ and Tate III. Peerman is trash when actually running the ball. And Hunt is well just Hunt. Zeitler got owned by Ngata.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

(08-19-2016, 09:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, should've read the OP closer, I just assumed Dre was on the list.  He sure deserves to be.

Yup, these two are what I came into the thread to add if they weren't already there.

I honestly think that this game sealed Peerman's fate on the roster. Great ST guy, but the Bengals went through this before with Kyries Hebert, and they found someone else to take his role pretty easily.

This kind of just shows that even if they're not a starter, most RBs tend to decline around 30. (Peerman is 30 in October.) So far this preseason, Peerman is at 13 carries, 7 yards. I know the run blocking hasn't always been excellent (Peerman did get mobbed by like 5 guys in the backfield one play) but I think that's enough to push him off and let in one of those young guys.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Peerman like Tate is going no where. His leadership and intangibles , especially on ST make up for RB weakness.

Kirkpatrick seems to be in the right spot but doesn't make impact plays on consistent basis. It would not surprise me one bit if WJ3, unproven as he is, takes his spot next year.

Nugent isn't going anywhere. I don't know when his contract is up but I would be surprised if they resigned him to a new contract. His 82.1% FGA was 23rd in the NFL. He will cost the Bengal's at least one close game.

3rd and 4th team defensive units looked hapless.

Tra Carson is a big, shifty RB that looks good against 3rd stringers. Wish they put him in with 1st unit to see his level of skill. Probably a strong candidate for PS.

Boyd looks every bit like a candidate with Pro-Bowl potential and OROY. Boyd is a game changer.

I am worried about the O-line a bit.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
As others have said Hunt is a full blown dud ! There was a play near halftime I believe, still haven't re-watched, but Hunt completely quit when the QB rolled away from him. I mean he had gotten around the OT and the QB rolled away and Hunt just flat out stood there - pathetic.

It's time to retire Peerman.

Nugent ???? just wow

Kirkpatrick - not sure what to say, hope he can get it together.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 03:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup, these two are what I came into the thread to add if they weren't already there.

I honestly think that this game sealed Peerman's fate on the roster. Great ST guy, but the Bengals went through this before with Kyries Hebert, and they found someone else to take his role pretty easily.

This kind of just shows that even if they're not a starter, most RBs tend to decline around 30. (Peerman is 30 in October.) So far this preseason, Peerman is at 13 carries, 7 yards. I know the run blocking hasn't always been excellent (Peerman did get mobbed by like 5 guys in the backfield one play) but I think that's enough to push him off and let in one of those young guys.

And posters have went this route for years on the idea the Peerman is going to be cut.. they are not going to cut their ALL PRO Special Team stud for a 4th RB that will maybe get 10 meaningful carries if that in a season.   

My opinion RB is the most set position on the team.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 10:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And posters have went this route for years on the idea the Peerman is going to be cut.. they are not going to cut their ALL PRO Special Team stud for a 4th RB that will maybe get 10 meaningful carries if that in a season.   

My opinion RB is the most set position on the team.

This is the first year I thought Peerman was going to be cut. Not to mention, you typed All-Pro in all caps as if to emphasize it, yet he has never been All-Pro. He was a Pro Bowler (as an alternate, no less), which is significantly different.

Hebert had like 20 special teams tackles one year as the ST Captain, and he got replaced the next year (the year they got Peerman) and the beat went on.

There's just not a good reason to carry a nearly 30-year-oild RB to be your #4 RB. It's best to put a developmental guy there who might possibly have some upside. Sure he'll probably have 10 or less carries, but if another guy can play ST and give you a higher ceiling if god forbid he is pressed into service, then why not?

Not to mention it's silly to pay over $1.2m for a ST guy who isn't a returner, and who can't be a proper backup for his position.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 09:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: As others have said Hunt is a full blown dud ! There was a play near halftime I believe, still haven't re-watched, but Hunt completely quit when the QB rolled away from him. I mean he had gotten around the OT and the QB rolled away and Hunt just flat out stood there - pathetic.

It's time to retire Peerman.

Nugent ???? just wow

Kirkpatrick - not sure what to say, hope he can get it together.

Hunt pulled the same shit game 1.

Reply/Quote
As he continued to show that he should be gone, Margus Hunt had another horrible game. I also hope that this is the final year for Mike Nugent because he has one of the weakest legs in the NFL and his accuracy is something to be desired. He has cost this team 7 points in the first 2 preseason games and if they were regular season games this could have been disastrous. He makes me nervous every time he comes out to kick a field goal of any range and now even an extra point. I also am personally not sold on Cedric Peerman as the 4th rb. I know he led the team in special teams tackles last season but if he would ever be called upon to have to play in a regular season game as a rb it will hurt this team. He is slow and I think he is just not that good but hopefully Tre Carson can beat him out and send him home because I agree if Carson goes to the practice squad he will be gone because another team will grab him quickly. I honestly am hoping that Nick Vigil can somehow step up in the season and take over for Rey Maualuga because Rey looks out of shape and slow. Also I was not impressed with Vincent Rey either. I thought he looked very average in his play last night. I know that this thread is for the duds in the game but I would like to give some props to a few of our rookies last night. The first being Nick Vigil. I think he needs to be in the starting lineup somehow before the season ends because he is very instinctive and I think he is going to be a very good lb in this league. Next of course is an easy one but great night again for Tyler Boyd. He once again showed why he is in line to be either the starting slot receiver or even a possible number 2 in this lineup and why we honestly are not going to miss Jones and Sanu. I would also like to give some props to Cody Core. Yes he only had a couple of catch but I think he is going to make this team as one of the 6 or 7 wrs depending on how many they keep. Finally I would like to say how impressed with Alex Erickson I was again. Even though he had only a couple of catches but his return skills are starting to show. One last thing and I know everyone is going to hate me saying this but I could not help but be impressed with Brandon Tate. He was solid in the return game and he displayed why he is making a strong run at one of the key wr positions. I am one to bash him quite often so it is only fair to give him a compliment when he did well.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 10:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This is the first year I thought Peerman was going to be cut. Not to mention, you typed All-Pro in all caps as if to emphasize it, yet he has never been All-Pro. He was a Pro Bowler (as an alternate, no less), which is significantly different.

Hebert had like 20 special teams tackles one year as the ST Captain, and he got replaced the next year (the year they got Peerman) and the beat went on.

There's just not a good reason to carry a nearly 30-year-oild RB to be your #4 RB. It's best to put a developmental guy there who might possibly have some upside. Sure he'll probably have 10 or less carries, but if another guy can play ST and give you a higher ceiling if god forbid he is pressed into service, then why not?

Not to mention it's silly to pay over $1.2m for a ST guy who isn't a returner, and who can't be a proper backup for his position.

Leonard what do you mean making perfect sense ??
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:09 AM)bengalsfan73 Wrote: As he continued to show that he should be gone, Margus Hunt had another horrible game. I also hope that this is the final year for Mike Nugent because he has one of the weakest legs in the NFL and his accuracy is something to be desired. He has cost this team 7 points in the first 2 preseason games and if they were regular season games this could have been disastrous. He makes me nervous every time he comes out to kick a field goal of any range and now even an extra point.

I also am personally not sold on Cedric Peerman as the 4th rb. I know he led the team in special teams tackles last season but if he would ever be called upon to have to play in a regular season game as a rb it will hurt this team. He is slow and I think he is just not that good but hopefully Tre Carson can beat him out and send him home because I agree if Carson goes to the practice squad he will be gone because another team will grab him quickly.

I honestly am hoping that Nick Vigil can somehow step up in the season and take over for Rey Maualuga because Rey looks out of shape and slow. Also I was not impressed with Vincent Rey either. I thought he looked very average in his play last night.

I know that this thread is for the duds in the game but I would like to give some props to a few of our rookies last night. The first being Nick Vigil. I think he needs to be in the starting lineup somehow before the season ends because he is very instinctive and I think he is going to be a very good lb in this league. Next of course is an easy one but great night again for Tyler Boyd. He once again showed why he is in line to be either the starting slot receiver or even a possible number 2 in this lineup and why we honestly are not going to miss Jones and Sanu.

I would also like to give some props to Cody Core. Yes he only had a couple of catch but I think he is going to make this team as one of the 6 or 7 wrs depending on how many they keep. Finally I would like to say how impressed with Alex Erickson I was again. Even though he had only a couple of catches but his return skills are starting to show.

One last thing and I know everyone is going to hate me saying this but I could not help but be impressed with Brandon Tate. He was solid in the return game and he displayed why he is making a strong run at one of the key wr positions. I am one to bash him quite often so it is only fair to give him a compliment when he did well.
Using paragraphs makes a word-wall easier for me to read.

IMO - V. Rey looked lost and awkward in coverage; Dansby and Maulaluga are out of football shape; Hunt looked like a statue; Peerman had no push as a RB; Kirkpatrick still looks like a rookie at CB; Nugent is a liability; Bodine is a second team center; Tackling was generally not crisp but should improve by the regular season.
Reply/Quote
Um hunt needs work to be sure but he looked like a whole differnt player game 1 to game 2 he had 7 qb pressures by my count 1 shoulda been sack where qb just got itt off one pressure which caused the pick 6 another play at dt where he fought the guard off to get where he needed to be to stop the run when he was pushed out of position he fought back into position.... And other plays where he looked like garbage and needs to be cut he was up and down a lot but at least there were a few ups this game as opposed to last game where there was no ups
Reply/Quote
Even with all of Hunt's failures, is he possibly going to make this team because he is a DE that can rotate inside?

By that, I mean that Hunt can stand and do nothing at both DE and DT. With the loss of Billings and the remaining talent mostly true DTs (except Hardison and Clarke) I wonder if they would keep Hunt because they don't want to use Hardison outside? Hunt could play just DE and if Clarke went down, that position has no true backups.
Reply/Quote