Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devin White
I'll just post this here and get some opinions.

So, when White goes off the board at #10 because some team trades up and takes him after Lapham declares him the Bengals pick, who do we take?

I'm still torn on taking a LB that high in the draft. Theres always a top 5 type guy that slides down the board (Last year it was Minkah). I think that's the guy we end up taking.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 04:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'll just post this here and get some opinions.

So, when White goes off the board at #10 because some team trades up and takes him after Lapham declares him the Bengals pick, who do we take?

I'm still torn on taking a LB that high in the draft.  Theres always a top 5 type guy that slides down the board (Last year it was Minkah).  I think that's the guy we end up taking.

Must move up to get this guy.And he will be worth that.I say he goes in top 10,so have to give up something,maybe a 2nd round pick in 2020.I would love to land this guy,but will they?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 04:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'll just post this here and get some opinions.

I'm still torn on taking a LB that high in the draft.  Theres always a top 5 type guy that slides down the board (Last year it was Minkah).  I think that's the guy we end up taking.

I take one of the following if available:
1) Nick Bosa
2) Quinnen Williams
3) Jonah Williams
4) Ed Oliver
5) Devin White
6) Greedy Williams (unless Dennard is re-signed)

If none are, I consider one of the other DL prospects here, as there should be a ton (Simmons, Ferrell, Gary, Wilkins), or I maybe consider Greg Little or Jawaan Taylor. However, I could see Little or Taylor struggling initially and that could infuriate fans. If Bengals are dead-set on OL, LB, or TE and White and Williams are gone, I'd probably consider trading back. Trading back to around 18th pick should also net a 2nd rounder too based on trade value chart (1250 vs 1300). Bengals could use about 5 picks within the first three rounds, especially if they avoid FA like they've traditionally done.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 05:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I take one of the following if available:
1) Nick Bosa
2) Quinnen Williams
3) Jonah Williams
4) Ed Oliver
5) Devin White
6) Greedy Williams (unless Dennard is re-signed)

If none are, I consider one of the other DL prospects here, as there should be a ton (Simmons, Ferrell, Gary, Wilkins), or I maybe consider Greg Little or Jawaan Taylor. However, I could see Little or Taylor struggling initially and that could infuriate fans. If Bengals are dead-set on OL, LB, or TE and White and Williams are gone, I'd probably consider trading back. Trading back to around 18th pick should also net a 2nd rounder too based on trade value chart (1250 vs 1300). Bengals could use about 5 picks within the first three rounds, especially if they avoid FA like they've traditionally done.

I personally think there's a good chance White will be there.  Non pass rushing LB's tend to fall, and it would be tough to see somebody trading up that high for one.  

If Greedy is still sitting there at #11, I sprint that pick up to the podium no matter what.  If Dennard is resigned, I would try to package Dre and our 2nd to move up into the bottom of 1.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 08:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: I personally think there's a good chance White will be there.  Non pass rushing LB's tend to fall, and it would be tough to see somebody trading up that high for one.  

If Greedy is still sitting there at #11, I sprint that pick up to the podium no matter what.  If Dennard is resigned, I would try to package Dre and our 2nd to move up into the bottom of 1.

Roquan Smith was a non- pass rushing LB and he went top 10 just last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Cody Ford or Isiah Simmons from Clemson.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

I'm still torn on taking a LB that high in the draft. Theres always a top 5 type guy that slides down the board (Last year it was Minkah). I think that's the guy we end up taking.

White will be there. But if he isn't Oliver will.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 08:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: I personally think there's a good chance White will be there.  Non pass rushing LB's tend to fall, and it would be tough to see somebody trading up that high for one.  

(01-07-2019, 08:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Roquan Smith was a non- pass rushing LB and he went top 10 just last year.

Kuechly - #9 as well. It’s not every year, but every down MLB’s that can also lead the defense can and do go top 10.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 11:45 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Kuechly - #9 as well. It’s not every year, but every down MLB’s that can also lead the defense can and do go top 10.

Kuechly is arguably the best LB in football and Roquan has a shot at DROY. White is really good, but those guys are on another level. White is a first rounder, but I think we'd still be talking about him as falling to us if we were picking in the 20s. 
BENGALdawg
Reply/Quote
...and Deion Jones went in the late 2nd. It's always tough to figure out with stack linebackers. I will say he is still raw where as Smith and Kuechly were both cleaner prospects. What sometimes happens though is you start projecting guys a bit more than normal and they get a bump. I think he is there at 11, but if not I trade back because a lot of the guys that are there at 11 are the same ones that will be there at 20. At 11 you will have some teams jockeying for QB2 so you may be able to make a decent trade back.
Reply/Quote
I dont see any scenario we pass on this guy if hes still there at 11. Guy has the ability to anchor our weakest part of the defense for many years. The only other player id even consider at 11 if White is available is Jonah Williams
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 09:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: ...and Deion Jones went in the late 2nd. It's always tough to figure out with stack linebackers. I will say he is still raw where as Smith and Kuechly were both cleaner prospects. What sometimes happens though is you start projecting guys a bit more than normal and they get a bump. I think he is there at 11, but if not I trade back because a lot of the guys that are there at 11 are the same ones that will be there at 20. At 11 you will have some teams jockeying for QB2 so you may be able to make a decent trade back.

You’re right in that White is somewhat more raw than Smith and Kuechly but he’s also seen with really high potential like Tremaine Edmunds was getting touted with last year. Edmunds ended up going 16. Difference I see in White and Edmunds is White has been better in college than Edmunds, seems further along in development. Safer pick.
I could see White maybe not going Top 10 but I don’t see him going as late as Edmunds did barring some pre-draft injury or off-field issue that comes up.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 10:22 PM)Jpoore Wrote: White will be there. But if he isn't Oliver will.

Yeah, just like Ragnow was there last year when we picked.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You’re right in that White is somewhat more raw than Smith and Kuechly but he’s also seen with really high potential like Tremaine Edmunds was getting touted with last year. Edmunds ended up going 16. Difference I see in White and Edmunds is White has been better in college than Edmunds, seems further along in development. Safer pick.
I could see White maybe not going Top 10 but I don’t see him going as late as Edmunds did barring some pre-draft injury or off-field issue that comes up.

Edmunds was 6'5 though with all that talent which made him a physical freak and added to the intrigue. I think that 9-16 range is a pretty good bet for White, but I hope it is at #11. The issue with guessing though is that sometimes weird runs happen and it can push and pull guys up and down the draft board. The fact only two CB's are projected before 20 by most people seems off to me and reminds me of the year Eli Apple jumped into the top 10. I think some CB's will climb during the process making for some potential movement. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:17 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, just like Ragnow was there last year when we picked.

I never wanted ragnow
Reply/Quote

I kept an eye on M. Wilson and J. Williams last night in the Championship game and came away unimpressed with either. I kept thinking if we don't have a shot at White, what about Wilson or Williams. Maybe both just had a bad game? Last night Wilson always seemed to be a step or 2 late, causing him to be out of position. Williams was owned by Ferrell quite a few times and he looked sloppy. To answer your question, IMO we had better hope White is there...
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: Edmunds was 6'5 though with all that talent which made him a physical freak and added to the intrigue. I think that 9-16 range is a pretty good bet for White, but I hope it is at #11. The issue with guessing though is that sometimes weird runs happen and it can push and pull guys up and down the draft board. The fact only two CB's are projected before 20 by most people seems off to me and reminds me of the year Eli Apple jumped into the top 10. I think some CB's will climb during the process making for some potential movement. 

I kind of have him between 11-18.  I think he will be a great pro, but I kind of wonder given his inexperience if he's going to be a Kuechley/Lewis QB of the Defense type, or an Odell Thurman great individual player type.

If he goes before us, I think it's because the DT's fall.  It's a stacked DT class in the 1st and I can see teams in the Top 10 going in other directions with the feeling that they can still get a good one in 2.  It's shaping up to be a good FA DT crop, as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 01:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: I kind of have him between 11-18.  I think he will be a great pro, but I kind of wonder given his inexperience if he's going to be a Kuechley/Lewis QB of the Defense type, or an Odell Thurman great individual player type.

If he goes before us, I think it's because the DT's fall.  It's a stacked DT class in the 1st and I can see teams in the Top 10 going in other directions with the feeling that they can still get a good one in 2.  It's shaping up to be a good FA DT crop, as well.

I only expect one DT to go in the top 10 and that is Williams. He will still go in the top 10 because he has too many Donald like similarities for a team to pass on. I feel like the next 3 or 4 DT's are pretty much interchangeable so I can see less of a drive to grab the first of the next tier.
Reply/Quote
Devin White is my guy all the way.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The thing about the draft is that it is totally unpredictable.

Not only that but there are only a finite amount of picks before your team. In our case 10. So if one guy that you like is already taken, that usually means someone else that you thought wouldn't be there will be. So if people want White and he is taken then that means someone they thought would go before White will be available. Maybe J. Williams.

I wouldn't cry if we took Williams in the first and then Greg Little in the 2nd (if he is there).

As bad as the defense was last year I actually think the OLine still needs the most help. The Defense was terrible sure, but I think that was an aberration of the new rule, DC that tried to make round pegs fit into square holes, and injuries. Players lost and confused most of the time. I don't see that happening with a new HC and staff in town. The defense actually played better after Austin left, so that leads me to think that Austin was the biggest problem.

This is why the HC will be important. Zac Taylor or Todd Monkin would be great choices since they have been apart of the building process that turned around some bad teams. Winning starts in the trenches and the OLine is crucial to making the offense run.
Reply/Quote