Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devin White
(01-14-2019, 12:48 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Same. I was just logging in to write something about that. It would be hard for this kid to pass up top 15 pick money but he is a Louisiana kid so he might want to stay at LSU for one more season. It doesn't happen as often now but that is a respectable move for the kid if he decides that since he is a team leader already.

He was quoted as saying the money didn't matter he wanted to make sure he was ready for the NFL before he left. I can appreciate that, but man we live in the post Jaylon Smith world and that is scary. If he doesn't come out look for Devin Bush to be a climber along with Mack Wilson. Neither will be in White's range but both could find themselves in the 20-32 range due to demand. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 12:48 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Same. I was just logging in to write something about that. It would be hard for this kid to pass up top 15 pick money but he is a Louisiana kid so he might want to stay at LSU for one more season. It doesn't happen as often now but that is a respectable move for the kid if he decides that since he is a team leader already.
I respect it, but at the same time lber class has no 1st round picks and is shot at that point.
Reply/Quote
He finally declared
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 04:54 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Shame that I couldn't have had more great exchanges like this.  Unfortunately I was met with out of context attacks and left to groan at the ineptitude of the other members.  I sent a mod my request to have my account deleted, don't know how to do it myself and other members aren't aware of how to either.

With that said, I am sure White will be a good player, I see him as a Keith Rivers though, solid but not special.  If he is our selection then I hope I am wrong and he is Burfict but with ice cream.  As I said I wouldn't hate the pick, but as of now, I wouldn't love it.  BTW Hobspin has us taking a DT, talk about a bad selection.

This is a great exchange.   I would not delete your account.  We all have our moments or threads where either we, others or all go sideways on each other.

I certainly enjoyed this exchange.   Stick around.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We can all breath now...
Reply/Quote
This pick at 11 makes so much sense assuming he is available (regardless of what Hobspin says)
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
4 out of every 5 mocks have White at 11, the pitch is more how historically bad they were there rather than selling White.

Cincy bucked a trend and went with a young coach from the outside, it's now the FO's job in FA to make gaping holes average. If White is a top 10 talent awesome, but reaching for a need is always a bad move and could be critical this year especially with all the DL talent.

Teams will ho QB and WR for need and leave a guy like Ed Oliver, Polite or Lawrence on the board. You can't rationalize that we have Geno, so though Oliver could be Aaron Donald (play along), we HAVE to go LB at 11 because all we did in FA was resign our 2 down MLB and kick tires.

White has the athleticism and nose for the ball when he sells out on a play but they better dig in and see star ability to take him. I'm not against taking a guy like Greedy if he somehow falls or trading down if need be. I think they'll sign the FA RT finally and if they deal down to where a guy like Little is BPA then they can move him to RG. The line and lb spots are so bad that I'd rather deal down and get depth than take White if you aren't sold on him.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 08:36 PM)phil413 Wrote: 4 out of every 5 mocks have White at 11, the pitch is more how historically bad they were there rather than selling White.

Cincy bucked a trend and went with a young coach from the outside, it's now the FO's job in FA to make gaping holes average.  If White is a top 10 talent awesome, but reaching for a need is always a bad move and could be critical this year especially with all the DL talent.

Teams will ho QB and WR for need and leave a guy like Ed Oliver, Polite or Lawrence on the board.  You can't rationalize that we have Geno, so though Oliver could be Aaron Donald (play along), we HAVE to go LB at 11 because all we did in FA was resign our 2 down MLB and kick tires.  

White has the athleticism and nose for the ball when he sells out on a play but they better dig in and see star ability to take him.  I'm not against taking a guy like Greedy if he somehow falls or trading down if need be.  I think they'll sign the FA RT finally and if they deal down to where a guy like Little is BPA then they can move him to RG.  The line and lb spots are so bad that I'd rather deal down and get depth than take White if you aren't sold on him.

I see White sliding down to the 18 to 25 range, if so, it would be great if we could trade down, still get White and more with extra pick or 2
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 04:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see White sliding down to the 18 to 25 range, if so, it would be great if we could trade down, still get White and more with extra pick or 2

I don't think so, it appears he is actually climbing based on some things I have seen. It's more likely to me he goes before 11 now than after 11. The combine will confirm what the tape shows, he is an athletic freak, and that could be all she wrote in terms of us getting him without a move UP. Wagner, Kuechly, Smith, Vander Esch, etc have all shown how big of an impact these new age LB's who can run and cover can have on defenses.
Reply/Quote
I know there are talented D-Line prospects this year, but if White is there at 11, I would jump to the podium. I cannot remember the Bengals having a decent ILB since Spikes.

I don't know if Mack Wilson declared but he would be my 2nd choice if there in round 2 if the Bengals drafted Oliver or Polite or someone in round 1.

I do think they need tight-end fairly high this year in draft and of course 2-3 O-Line.

Then there is the QB possibility given the new head coach. So many holes.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 06:04 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know there are talented D-Line prospects this year, but if White is there at 11, I would jump to the podium.  I cannot remember the Bengals having a decent ILB since Spikes.  

I don't know if Mack Wilson declared but he would be my 2nd choice if there in round 2 if the Bengals drafted Oliver or Polite or someone in round 1.  

I do think they need tight-end fairly high this year in draft and of course 2-3 O-Line.  

Then there is the QB possibility given the new head coach.  So many holes.

White makes so much sense for us that I'm convinced it'll never happen.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 12:50 PM)McC Wrote: White makes so much sense for us that I'm convinced it'll never happen.

We are so often in this position.  The guy we want is just a little out of reach.

I'm pretty sure he'll be gone by the time we pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 08:36 PM)phil413 Wrote: 4 out of every 5 mocks have White at 11, the pitch is more how historically bad they were there rather than selling White.

Cincy bucked a trend and went with a young coach from the outside, it's now the FO's job in FA to make gaping holes average.  If White is a top 10 talent awesome, but reaching for a need is always a bad move and could be critical this year especially with all the DL talent.

Teams will ho QB and WR for need and leave a guy like Ed Oliver, Polite or Lawrence on the board.  You can't rationalize that we have Geno, so though Oliver could be Aaron Donald (play along), we HAVE to go LB at 11 because all we did in FA was resign our 2 down MLB and kick tires.  

White has the athleticism and nose for the ball when he sells out on a play but they better dig in and see star ability to take him.  I'm not against taking a guy like Greedy if he somehow falls or trading down if need be.  I think they'll sign the FA RT finally and if they deal down to where a guy like Little is BPA then they can move him to RG.  The line and lb spots are so bad that I'd rather deal down and get depth than take White if you aren't sold on him.

The Bengals can't go into the draft simply hoping White(or any other player) will be there to fix a position group.  This is especially true when they are in a great position to get an OT or stud defender.

ILB is one of your best values in the open market.  The 10th highest paid ILB in the league is only making $7.5 mil a year.  The Bengals should really be looking to fix this position group in FA.
Reply/Quote
I would guess we sign another FA LB, or maybe they roll with Brown tough to say what the new staff will want to do. I am guessing we will part ways with Burfict in late February or early March. I think you need a LB whatever position you have him at (Will or Mike). I am starting to like Devin Bush more and more so I could be sold that if White isn't there we go for Bush trading back a couple picks to do so then coming back up in the 2nd for best OT available.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 01:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: I would guess we sign another FA LB, or maybe they roll with Brown tough to say what the new staff will want to do. I am guessing we will part ways with Burfict in late February or early March. I think you need a LB whatever position you have him at (Will or Mike). I am starting to like Devin Bush more and more so I could be sold that if White isn't there we go for Bush trading back a couple picks to do so then coming back up in the 2nd for best OT available.

I like Bush, but I like Ford and Yodny Cajuste more, personally.  If we moved down and noone fell, I would personally target one of those two.

Another possibility is the Bengals jump on the trend of using S's as LB's. I could easily see Williams in that role if the Bengals add a S in FA or early in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 02:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: I like Bush, but I like Ford and Yodny Cajuste more, personally.  If we moved down and noone fell, I would personally target one of those two.

Another possibility is the Bengals jump on the trend of using S's as LB's. I could easily see Williams in that role if the Bengals add a S in FA or early in the draft.

I think the round 2 tackle market is going to be better than people think, especially early 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the round 2 tackle market is going to be better than people think, especially early 2nd round.

I think a lot of those guys will get snapped up at the end of the 1st, though.  The Raiders need OL help and have a couple of picks in the mid-late 20's.  The Pats may lose Brown in FA and will need a replacement.  The Rams need a replacement for Whit.  I can see him walking off into the sunset if the Rams win the SB, the Rams making a business decision and cutting him to resign some younger players, or maybe play them a year at LG as a replacement for Saffold.

I think teams will be reaching on T's because this is a good class at the top, there's been several bad T classes in a row, and they are so expensive. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think a lot of those guys will get snapped up at the end of the 1st, though.  The Raiders need OL help and have a couple of picks in the mid-late 20's.  The Pats may lose Brown in FA and will need a replacement.  The Rams need a replacement for Whit.  I can see him walking off into the sunset if the Rams win the SB, the Rams making a business decision and cutting him to resign some younger players, or maybe play them a year at LG as a replacement for Saffold.

I think teams will be reaching on T's because this is a good class at the top, there's been several bad T classes in a row, and they are so expensive. 

This happens every year there are so many guys that "Have" to go in round 1 that we end up with more than 32. There are legit 8 tackles who I'd be willing to take, so I am positive we can get one in the 2nd even if we have to move up a couple spots to get one.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: This happens every year there are so many guys that "Have" to go in round 1 that we end up with more than 32. There are legit 8 tackles who I'd be willing to take, so I am positive we can get one in the 2nd even if we have to move up a couple spots to get one.

Who are the 8?  I would only be comfortable with Williams, Little, Ford, Cajuste, and Edwards as plug and play starters at RT.  If they don't get a solid T in FA, I would personally be very nervous about hoping one of those guys will be there in 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 07:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: Who are the 8?  I would only be comfortable with Williams, Little, Ford, Cajuste, and Edwards as plug and play starters at RT.  If they don't get a solid T in FA, I would personally be very nervous about hoping one of those guys will be there in 2.

Add McGary and Dillard to those five. I had considered Risner but I’m down on him a bit.
Reply/Quote