Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devin White
(01-22-2019, 08:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Add McGary and Dillard to those five. I had considered Risner but I’m down on him a bit.

I think McGary and Dillard are guys that will need a year or two before they are ready to start at T, imo.  McGary you could probably slide in at RG as a rookie.  Dillard needs at least a year in a pro strength and conditioning program.  Risner just has too much going against him.  I like his edge, but he doesn't have the size and length to compensate for his feet.  He's probably a G.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 09:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think McGary and Dillard are guys that will need a year or two before they are ready to start at T, imo.  McGary you could probably slide in at RG as a rookie.  Dillard needs at least a year in a pro strength and conditioning program.  Risner just has too much going against him.  I like his edge, but he doesn't have the size and length to compensate for his feet.  He's probably a G.

Dillard was fine with top 10 pick Montaze Sweat today. He and McGary really are no less refined than Cajuste. Little is raw and I think will struggle with pass protection early, and maybe forever outside. There is no such thing as a “clean” tackle anymore really.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 09:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: Dillard was fine with top 10 pick Montaze Sweat today. He and McGary really are no less refined than Cajuste. Little is raw and I think will struggle with pass protection early, and maybe forever outside. There is no such thing as a “clean” tackle anymore really.

Sweat and Ferguson beat Dillard today iirc, both on inside moves.  He'll be one to watch the rest of the way.  

From what I've seen and heard, Cajuste has better hands and footwork than McGary and better hands than Dillard.  He's a cut above those two imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 11:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sweat and Ferguson beat Dillard today iirc, both on inside moves.  He'll be one to watch the rest of the way.  

From what I've seen and heard, Cajuste has better hands and footwork than McGary and better hands than Dillard.  He's a cut above those two imo.

In 11 on 11 Dillard did fine with him stone walling Sweat on multiple reps. Cajuste has slow feet and short sets when he needs to take it wide. He will struggle with NFL speed rushers early in his career but should excel against power rushers, he is kind of the opposite of Dillard. 
Reply/Quote
Keep an eye on tytus Howard, ot from Alabama state. Could be a fast riser with a good showing at the senior bowl this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 11:08 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Keep an eye on tytus Howard, ot from Alabama state.  Could be a fast riser with a good showing at the senior bowl this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He had a good day yesterday, if we end up going BPA early in the 1st or 2nd he could be the move end of Day 2 into Day 3.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 09:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: In 11 on 11 Dillard did fine with him stone walling Sweat on multiple reps. Cajuste has slow feet and short sets when he needs to take it wide. He will struggle with NFL speed rushers early in his career but should excel against power rushers, he is kind of the opposite of Dillard. 

Cajuste definitely needs to work on his footwork.  He compensates with his length and hands.  To me, he is a guy that you can plug and play at RT and eventually kick to LT if you can get his footwork right.  Worst case, you can slide him to G, as he's a monster at the point of attack.  I also love the edge the kid plays with.  
Reply/Quote
I came here to talk about White, but it appears I’m lost in the OT thread?

Just listening to the Kiper/McShay podcast and McShay just gushed over Devin White. Said he was an amazing athlete, great instincts and his knowledge of and love for football were one of the best in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 02:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I came here to talk about White, but it appears I’m lost in the OT thread?

Just listening to the Kiper/McShay podcast and McShay just gushed over Devin White. Said he was an amazing athlete, great instincts and his knowledge of and love for football were one of the best in the draft.

Yea wondered into OT a bit in the realm of what if he isn’t there. I’d comp him to Bobby Wagner coming out. That doesn’t mean he will be the Bobby Wagner of today but he has a similar skill set to him coming out.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 09:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: Dillard was fine with top 10 pick Montaze Sweat today. He and McGary really are no less refined than Cajuste. Little is raw and I think will struggle with pass protection early, and maybe forever outside. There is no such thing as a “clean” tackle anymore really.

And if there is, they are likely going Top 10.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And if there is, they are likely going Top 10.

Yea I mean you look at all the knocks on McGlinchy last year yet he had a really good rookie season. Every prospect has flaws and it’s simply about what flaws can be overcome and how long that could take.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 02:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea I mean you look at all the knocks on McGlinchy last year yet he had a really good rookie season. Every prospect has flaws and it’s simply about what flaws can be overcome and how long that could take.

One of the least penalized Oline man in the league last year and zero holding penalties. 20/20 hindsight says the Bengals did the wrong thing trading for Glenn and moving down. The fix for the line was to move up for Nelson or McGlinchey.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 05:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: One of the least penalized Oline man in the league last year and zero holding penalties. 20/20 hindsight says the Bengals did the wrong thing trading for Glenn and moving down. The fix for the line was to move up for Nelson or McGlinchey.

Yea, but I don't think anyone expected Hopkins to emerge as a viable C candidate at the time. And you had a new OL coach in.
They were trying to fix two positions with one draft pick.
But yes, McGlinchey-Hopkins would have been better probably than Glenn-Price (at least based on 2018 results).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 06:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea, but I don't think anyone expected Hopkins to emerge as a viable C candidate at the time. And you had a new OL coach in.
They were trying to fix two positions with one draft pick.
But yes, McGlinchey-Hopkins would have been better probably than Glenn-Price (at least based on 2018 results).

New Line Coach, new Off. Scheme, I believe they're going to zone blocking from drive blocking.  Different pieces, different techniques, players will likely be in different places or not at all.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 02:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I came here to talk about White, but it appears I’m lost in the OT thread?

I think pretty much all of us would be happy with White at #11.  Kid looks like a stud, and we need LB help.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And if there is, they are likely going Top 10.

Jonah Williams is probably about as close to a clean T prospect as you're going to find in this day and age.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 09:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: Jonah Williams is probably about as close to a clean T prospect as you're going to find in this day and age.

I don't know about this.  He may have to move to the inside if small arms.  Risner is my favorite OT prospect and maybe be there in round 2.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 09:50 AM)uticabengalfan Wrote: I dont see any scenario we pass on this guy if hes still there at 11. Guy has the ability to anchor our weakest part of the defense for many years. The only other player id even consider at 11 if White is available is Jonah Williams

This.  Taking Ross at #9 was a vision of Tyreek Hill for the Bengals.   They thought he could take the top off defenses and let AJ, Eifert, and Boyd feast underneath.  At least part of the problem became the predictability of that game plan and the underneath guys were dropping like flies.  Ross actually made some nice plays in the Red Zone, where he was no longer relegated to:  "You just run deep".  

I think the Bengals aren't stupid (maybe just a little) and they realize just how poor their LB play was last year.  They see Burfict's decline and they know how they were a different defense when he was healthy.  If White is there, he makes an immediate upgrade to the entire defense.  

They need to also get a LB that can start in FA and let the rest of the draft come to them.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: There are some concerns he has topped out in terms of pass rushing ability along with his attitude. I have heard some comparisons to Marcell Dareus. He would be good, probably a headache at times, but not sure he is worth that pick with the quality of the other DT's in that tier.

Yeah, I loved him early on but I really hated the crap that kept coming out down the stretch.  I will give him somewhat of a pass, though, as I wasn't in that locker room and don't know what the coaches were doing to him.  He was playing his last season and was an inevitable top 10 pick.  A lot of other guys were debating sitting out after they had injuries to not hurt their draft stock (Bosa).  

Although he has a knack for sliding through the line, I have to question his performance against top tier talent.  I also weigh heavily that DT seems to be one position that is very difficult to make the transition to the pros and make an immediate impact.  I see more LBs that have success early than DTs.  

I don't know what DTs will be available in FA, but if the right guy is there...combined with a starting caliber LB and I would be thrilled heading in to the draft with those pieces already in place. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:30 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Great Answer.  However if Ford is really as good as you are projecting him to be, then maybe he should be our 1st round pick.  I don't think he will make it to the 2nd based off of what you have stated.  However there is a chance he does make it to us in the 2nd and I can see your point in taking a guy that definitely won't be there.

I am not sold on Devin White though.  Will he be a 1st rounder?  Yep.  Will he make it to us in the 2nd?  Nope. 

I am not saying that.  What I am saying is that White strikes me as a guy that we select in the 1st round and then doesn't perform to the 1st round expectation.  Very important to understand that I don't think White will be terrible and not be productive.  However a 1st round LBer needs to be a game changer.  I don't see White as a game changer.  I wouldn't hate the pick, but I wouldn't love it either.

Here is a draft profile on him.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/05/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-devin-white/

Talks about a lack of balance and foot work.

While not flashy, I am solely an OLine guy.  I don't care who your LBers are if you have a good / great OLine, you will have success in this league.  OLine to me was worse than LBer (though we do need to address LBers, which I would do in FA), and hell I am so crazy about OLine guys that I would even invest 3 rds to OLine players.  Williams in the 1st, Little or Ford in the 2nd and if the other fell to us in the 3rd (it could happen) grab them.

Odds of missing on OLine is less than on LBer, however we HAVE missed on OLine recently, which is not surprisingly the main reason we have lost many of our games, so I wouldn't mind getting those 3 guys and if they all pan out, you have a great OLine for the next few years, if not, then 1 should at least be serviceable.  Try again next year.

We seem to go FA for LBers more than OLine or at least willing to PAY more for LBers than OLine, so using the draft to get OLine help and FA for LBers would be the way to go.  

While I understand this in principle, our defense was on pace to set NFL records for sucking ass.  The offensive line will get hammered on individual scores through measures like PFF, but what really counts is how they play as a UNIT.  They averaged nearly 5 ypc in the run game.  Dalton was largely kept clean until his weapons started dropping like flies and their replacements weren't able to get open as quickly, forcing him to hold the ball too long.  The offense was rolling before losing the likes of Eifert and Green.  Would a better RT improve them?  Sure, but would the Bengals be a contender with a defense that isn't massively overhauled in the middle?  No way in hell.

I also trust the new Bengals coaches to develop a scheme that plays to their strengths and can help the RT with a TE or RB chip.  There is nothing coaching can do when your LBs can't cover, can't tackle in space, and lack instincts.  
Reply/Quote