Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devin White
(02-11-2019, 03:36 PM)Synric Wrote: In one word size. 

If he comes in at 6'2 or even a tall 6'1 238 to 240 lbs his size will allow him to play all 3 spots in a 43 defense. Bush wont be able to play Mike or Sam due to size you wouldn't want him taking on second level blockers regularly.

the best linebacker in the league this year is 6' and bush may be 5'11 1/2?  Bush is 240?  of the top 3 lb's Bush is the best at shooting the gap for with 5 sacks each of the last two seasons.  He has tons of broken up passes and gotten an interception.  Lastly, he ranks right up there with white and Wilson for tackles.  Sorry, you have to do a bit better than that. 

It all depends on our defensive scheme next year.  If we are playing more aggressive and using more blitz packages than Bush is probably the best of the 3.  White is obviously the best of the class but not by much and he's more of a jack of all trades backer.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 03:46 PM)Okeana Wrote: the best linebacker in the league this year is 6' and bush may be 5'11 1/2?  Bush is 240?  of the top 3 lb's Bush is the best at shooting the gap for with 5 sacks each of the last two seasons.  He has tons of broken up passes and gotten an interception.  Lastly, he ranks right up there with white and Wilson for tackles.  Sorry, you have to do a bit better than that. 

It all depends on our defensive scheme next year.  If we are playing more aggressive and using more blitz packages than Bush is probably the best of the 3.  White is obviously the best of the class but not by much and he's more of a jack of all trades backer.

He may also be 5'10 3/4ths or a half and he's 225. Like I said you dont want him taking on Fullbacks, second level OL, or TEs as a Mike or Sam You want him as a free runner weak side linebacker shooting gaps.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So I have been pushing Devin Bush and now Hobson took him in his media draft at 11 so now I have the pick haha. All joking aside I think 11 is too early but a slide back to 16-18 would be a nice place to snag him while adding another 3rd.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 04:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'll just post this here and get some opinions.

So, when White goes off the board at #10 because some team trades up and takes him after Lapham declares him the Bengals pick, who do we take?

I'm still torn on taking a LB that high in the draft.  Theres always a top 5 type guy that slides down the board (Last year it was Minkah).  I think that's the guy we end up taking.

Well I believe that would completely depend on who was still available. I can think of several guys that I would draft in that position. Namely Jawaan Taylor if he is still on the boards. Doubt he will be but I would take him over White if they were both still there. Jonah Williams is a guy I would select if White were off the boards and he were still available. Dwayne Haskins, TJ Hockenson(I know some will disagree with this selection but I think this kid is an elite talent that is going to get much better), Andre Dillard, Christian Wilkins, Greedy Williams(don't need a CB this high but he is worth the selection).
Reply/Quote
I was just watching the Jawaan Taylor film against LSU and it left me wondering about all of the hype on White. I saw one play in the entire Florida game that would go down as a wow play. Just saying. Yes the kid is fast and I understand he is still learning the position but in the Florida game he did not show overwhelming instincts or anything that jumped out and made me want to watch him. In fact I found myself having to look for him.

On the flip side of that. No one that Taylor had to block was a factor in any play for the entire game.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 09:43 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I was just watching the Jawaan Taylor film against LSU and it left me wondering about all of the hype on White. I saw one play in the entire Florida game that would go down as a wow play. Just saying. Yes the kid is fast and I understand he is still learning the position but in the Florida game he did not show overwhelming instincts or anything that jumped out and made me want to watch him. In fact I found myself having to look for him.

On the flip side of that. No one that Taylor had to block was a factor in any play for the entire game.

I'd be happy if the Bengals selected either Jawaan Taylor, or Cody Ford.  I watched a film study on Taylor last week, while he could use a little tweaking in his pass pro footwork (like most prospects do), he's got the strength, toughness, tenacity and grit that make the difference between a technician and a mauler.  Multiple times in the 20+ minute video, I saw him dominating his head up defender, and then discarding him to get downfield and make a second block.  I pass pro, when he gets his hands on the defender, they're stood up.  When he does get beat on the edge, he follows and makes the recovery.  The guy just plays through the whistle.

Yeah, I know this is the Devin White thread, but when you mentioned Jawaan Taylor, I just had to chime in.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 09:50 AM)uticabengalfan Wrote: I dont see any scenario we pass on this guy if hes still there at 11. Guy has the ability to anchor our weakest part of the defense for many years. The only other player id even consider at 11 if White is available is Jonah Williams

Really! You don't see any scenario the Cincinnati Bengals pass on this guy? Let me present to you one Mr John Ross.
Reply/Quote

“People know ‘Devin isn’t going to be on the board long, and we’re not going to find another Devin 10 years from now. He’s rare,’' White said, via Roy Lang of the Shreveport Times. “Draft me, because when I hit free agency in five years, the price will go up. I’ll be looking for $100 million then.”

“It just shows my competitive nature, my hard work,” White said. “I’m not trying to do what anybody else did. I’m trying to create a lane for myself. I want to go in the top five.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/devin-white-ill-be-looking-for-100-million-in-five-years/
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:
“People know ‘Devin isn’t going to be on the board long, and we’re not going to find another Devin 10 years from now. He’s rare,’' White said, via Roy Lang of the Shreveport Times. “Draft me, because when I hit free agency in five years, the price will go up. I’ll be looking for $100 million then.”

“It just shows my competitive nature, my hard work,” White said. “I’m not trying to do what anybody else did. I’m trying to create a lane for myself. I want to go in the top five.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22/devin-white-ill-be-looking-for-100-million-in-five-years/

Yeesh...thinks he's getting $100 million as a 4-3 LB and refers to himself in the third person?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeesh...thinks he's getting $100 million as a 4-3 LB and refers to himself in the third person?

Well, the kid certainly doesn't lack confidence.  Mellow 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 10:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd be happy if the Bengals selected either Jawaan Taylor, or Cody Ford.  I watched a film study on Taylor last week, while he could use a little tweaking in his pass pro footwork (like most prospects do), he's got the strength, toughness, tenacity and grit that make the difference between a technician and a mauler.  Multiple times in the 20+ minute video, I saw him dominating his head up defender, and then discarding him to get downfield and make a second block.  I pass pro, when he gets his hands on the defender, they're stood up.  When he does get beat on the edge, he follows and makes the recovery.  The guy just plays through the whistle.

Yeah, I know this is the Devin White thread, but when you mentioned Jawaan Taylor, I just had to chime in.

I could not agree more with your observations. I was amazed in watching him that when he used poor technique that he was still able to anchor and stand up the defender. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread here...lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, the kid certainly doesn't lack confidence.  Mellow 

Crazy.  He's a great prospect, but with his reads, he's far from a sure fire All Pro type of prospect.

Can you imagine his negotiations with MB on his second contract?

"Devin White wants $100 million.  Devin White's don't just come along every decade."

"We appreciate your enthusiasm and dedication to the team, but we're not sure we are willing to commit to a 10 year contract."
Reply/Quote
The only way Devin White makes that much in 5 years is if he gets 100 million worth of prizes from McDonalds Monopoly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: Crazy.  He's a great prospect, but with his reads, he's far from a sure fire All Pro type of prospect.

"Devin White wants $100 million.  Devin White's don't just come along every decade."

"We appreciate your enthusiasm and dedication to the team, but we're not sure we are willing to commit to a 10 year contract."

I challenge anyone to watch the Florida/LSU game and show me a 100 million LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: Crazy.  He's a great prospect, but with his reads, he's far from a sure fire All Pro type of prospect.

I hope he's still not speaking in 3rd person 5 years from now.   LMAO
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 05:20 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well I believe that would completely depend on who was still available. I can think of several guys that I would draft in that position. Namely Jawaan Taylor if he is still on the boards. Doubt he will be but I would take him over White if they were both still there. Jonah Williams is a guy I would select if White were off the boards and he were still available. Dwayne Haskins, TJ Hockenson(I know some will disagree with this selection but I think this kid is an elite talent that is going to get much better), Andre Dillard, Christian Wilkins, Greedy Williams(don't need a CB this high but he is worth the selection).

TE's get hurt too much too spend that high a pick on one, especially with the number of quality TE's in this draft.  And a big fat no to Greedy Williams.  He will not be the first CB taken and I hope we don't take him and it seems unlikely we would.

Haskins won't get to 11.  Dillard seems to be strictly a LT.  Does he sit behind Glenn for a year or two?

I could get on board with Wilkins but isn't he a 3 tech?  Would he play next to Geno or for Geno?

Seems like we're looking for a guy to play right away and fill an existing hole and not take over later for someone we already have unless the pick is a transcendent talent.  Are any of the guys you mentioned one of those?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

You gotta love self created red flags at this time of the year.  I guess he could've just come out and said Don't touch me with a ten foot pole.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I know a lot of football players are narcissistic but this guy seems very selfish. Taylor would look for team oriented people so I don't think the Bengals take them at 11.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Yea I’m thinking attitude alone I’d rather have Bush now.
Reply/Quote