Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devin white write up
(12-20-2018, 01:34 PM)3wt Wrote: Per Walter Football Mack is projected to run in the area of a 4.79.

Too slow.

I truly hope he runs a lot faster.   He's well thought of.   But we don't need any more slow backers.   We have a room full of them (except Vigil and Evans)

First off....Walter Football is trash.

Second, no he isn't too slow. I don't care what the 40 time is he covers side line to sideline in the SEC without issue. Mosley ran a hand timed mid to high 4.6 at Bama's pro day which is an electric timed 4.7 of some sorts in most cases yet has had no issues. When you diagnose plays quicker and get moving in the right direction it makes up for a "lack of speed". We need players who can play and Wislon can play. I prefer White but have 0 issues with Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'd take Mack Wilson if White was gone and be fine with it. We should have a chance at one of them, if not that means another really good player has fallen in to our lap.

I like Wilson a lot, but I think he’s more of a late-1st or early-2nd rounder. Given where the Bengals pick, I think it would be wise to move back at least 5 picks or so (if they can) if both White and Jonah Williams are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 01:34 PM)3wt Wrote: Per Walter Football Mack is projected to run in the area of a 4.79.

Too slow.

I truly hope he runs a lot faster.   He's well thought of.   But we don't need any more slow backers.   We have a room full of them (except Vigil and Evans)

I very highly doubt Wilson runs that slow. A year ago, Wilson ran a 4.59 40 in spring practice. I know hand times at college are usually faster than combine electronic times, but not .2 secs slower. I’d expect him in the 4.65-4.69 range, which is fast enough given his instincts and coverage ability.
http://southboundanddown.com/2017/03/17/alabama-football-spring-testing-numbers-are-insane/

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I very highly doubt Wilson runs that slow. A year ago, Wilson ran a 4.59 40 in spring practice. I know hand times at college are usually faster than combine electronic times, but not .2 secs slower. I’d expect him in the 4.65-4.69 range, which is fast enough given his instincts and coverage ability.
http://southboundanddown.com/2017/03/17/alabama-football-spring-testing-numbers-are-insane/

Especially when you consider that Darius Leonard ran a 4.7 in the 40 this year. I think from tap you can see he is fast enough.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I really want a plug and play linebacker selected with our first round pick. But I think White will be gone early and Wilson seems to go back to Bama. Devin Bush will be there - but is he really a first round prospect? There is also the mentality in this franchise that LBs should be taken in later rounds, so my gut feeling is that we will be looking at other positions in the first round. With our Draft history I wouldnt be surprised if we go WR or CB.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2018, 09:23 AM)Moorne Wrote:  With our Draft history I wouldnt be surprised if we go WR or CB.

I think contract status is also a factor.  It depends who we re-sign.  Right now we have 4 tackles who are UFA's and 3 TE's.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/cincinnati-bengals/
Reply/Quote
Just saw this on my news feed.  Should make the Devin White crowd very happy, as they have White to the Bengals at #12.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2019-nfl-mock-draft-the-strangest-qb-draft-in-years/ar-BBRnDeS?ocid=spartandhp

And then, looka here..

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/report-3-clemson-players-fail-drug-test-days-before-cfb-playoff-semifinal-game/?fbclid=IwAR2iB4WuQqWV_SV77SXglFA6RJ9eBm_Ptq8V4zjGv-Vuevl6D7Su4c2ZWeo

With NT Dexter Lawrence currently projected at #24, maybe a failed drug test causes him to slide to the top half of the second round?  How sweet would that be for the Bengals to be able to grab to premium defenders like White and Lawrence in 1 and 2?

I guess that would mean OT in free agency, but oh well..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 05:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just saw this on my news feed.  Should make the Devin White crowd very happy, as they have White to the Bengals at #12.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2019-nfl-mock-draft-the-strangest-qb-draft-in-years/ar-BBRnDeS?ocid=spartandhp

And then, looka here..

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/report-3-clemson-players-fail-drug-test-days-before-cfb-playoff-semifinal-game/?fbclid=IwAR2iB4WuQqWV_SV77SXglFA6RJ9eBm_Ptq8V4zjGv-Vuevl6D7Su4c2ZWeo

With NT Dexter Lawrence currently projected at #24, maybe a failed drug test causes him to slide to the top half of the second round?  How sweet would that be for the Bengals to be able to grab to premium defenders like White and Lawrence in 1 and 2?

I could get on board with that.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2018, 05:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just saw this on my news feed.  Should make the Devin White crowd very happy, as they have White to the Bengals at #12.

And then, looka here..

I think Billings is playing rather solid at NT, no need to replace him already with Lawrence. I think more of a 3T or nickel DT would be more beneficial, and that's not Lawrence IMO. I do think (at least) one of Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Rashan Gary (nickel DT), Christian Wilkins, Dremont Jones, or Jerry Tillery should be available in Rd 2 given the abundance of talent at the position.

That would allow for LB or OT in Rd 1. Personally, I'd go White if he's there, but I could also be game for Jawaan Taylor, Jonah Williams, or Greg Little too.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I am now seeing White projected as early as 6-10, so why would I see some sites thinking White will be available in the late teens?
If he's really of the same caliber skill as Roquan Smith (who went 8th last year), isn't it very unlikely he falls into the back half of the first round? I'm thinking it's unrealistic for some people to mock a trade-back scenario and still getting Devin White late. Heck, Bengals might not even get him where they currently are slotted.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I am now seeing White projected as early as 6-10, so why would I see some sites thinking White will be available in the late teens?
If he's really of the same caliber skill as Roquan Smith (who went 8th last year), isn't it very unlikely he falls into the back half of the first round? I'm thinking it's unrealistic for some people to mock a trade-back scenario and still getting Devin White late. Heck, Bengals might not even get him where they currently are slotted.

I don't think there's any way he's sliding to the 16-18 range, but he could easily be around at 12.  Linebackers that don't rush the passer don't seem to be taken as high as they should be these days.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 05:19 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think there's any way he's sliding to the 16-18 range, but he could easily be around at 12.  Linebackers that don't rush the passer don't seem to be taken as high as they should be these days.

We thought the same about Roquan Smith last year before the Bengals traded back to 21, but he was gone before the Bengals' original pick too. If a player has an elite skill set and has proven production in college, there's a good chance they go high. Roquan Smith had both. White looks to also have both.

Players I think have a very high chance of going ahead of White:
- Nick Bosa, DE OSU
- Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama
- Ed Oliver, DT Houston
- Greedy Williams, CB LSU

After that, I think you have the following players who could go a little before or possibly after White depending on which team is selecting:
- Jonah Williams, OT Alabama
- Clelin Ferrell, DE Clemson
- Josh Allen, EDGE UK
- Rashan Gary, DE/3T Michigan
- Deionte Thompson, S Alabama

I think Dwayne Haskins also could jump into the Top 10 if he declares because it's a weak QB class and a team would be willing to gamble on his one year of good production at OSU. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 05:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We thought the same about Roquan Smith last year before the Bengals traded back to 21, but he was gone before the Bengals' original pick too. If a player has an elite skill set and has proven production in college, there's a good chance they go high. Roquan Smith had both. White looks to also have both.

- Nick Bosa, DE OSU
- Ed Oliver, DT Houston

After that, I think you have the following players who could go a little before or possibly after White depending on which team is selecting:
- Josh Allen, EDGE UK

I think Dwayne Haskins also could jump into the Top 10 if he declares because it's a weak QB class and a team would be willing to gamble on his one year of good production at OSU. 
I would say Haskins is a top 3 lick and pretty sure he's gonna go 1 or 2
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 05:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We thought the same about Roquan Smith last year before the Bengals traded back to 21, but he was gone before the Bengals' original pick too. If a player has an elite skill set and has proven production in college, there's a good chance they go high. Roquan Smith had both. White looks to also have both.

- Nick Bosa, DE OSU
- Ed Oliver, DT Houston

- Josh Allen, EDGE UK

Its very early in the draft process right now I wouldn't be so sure that anyone  is really a lock to be a top 10 pick except Bosa.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 02:09 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Its very early in the draft process right now I wouldn't be so sure that anyone  is really a lock to be a top 10 pick except Bosa.

That's fair to say it's early, but I don't think it's "very" early. The college season has finished. The only things remaining are a few bowl games, all star games, and Combine. Barring an injury during one of these, I don't see the players I listed falling massively. I think my list is rather realistic.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 08:22 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I would say Haskins is a top 3 lick and pretty sure he's gonna go 1 or 2

Not likely, I think the quality of defenders in this draft combined with the weak class will push athe first QB down a bit. I honestly don’t think a QB comes off the board until 6 to Jax. I think at 2 Gruden does something crazy and passes on QB until later in the round. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room so I think he believes he can grab one of these random guys in this class and make them work. There is also the rumor he and Carr are buddies and he may ride with Carr.

I could see Detroit trading back to someone looking to jump Jax for a QB. They could even be in play if the rumors about shopping Stafford are true.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 06:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not likely, I think the quality of defenders in this draft combined with the weak class will push athe first QB down a bit. I honestly don’t think a QB comes off the board until 6 to Jax. I think at 2 Gruden does something crazy and passes on QB until later in the round. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room so I think he believes he can grab one of these random guys in this class and make them work. There is also the rumor he and Carr are buddies and he may ride with Carr.

I could see Detroit trading back to someone looking to jump Jax for a QB. They could even be in play if the rumors about shopping Stafford are true.
See I disagree. I think bc there is only one franchise qb in this class(and there was on 1 before herbet went back to school) any qb needy team will trade up to get him bc they can't say oh well get the other qb at such and such.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:46 PM)Jpoore Wrote: See I disagree. I think bc there is only one franchise qb in this class(and there was on 1 before herbet went back to school) any qb needy team will trade up to get him bc they can't say oh well get the other qb at such and such.

I think what will happen is a guy like Foles or Bridgewater instead will get stupid money, I don’t think it’ll influence the draft much. My guess is a lot of teams will hold out for next year and a much better draft. Someone will fall in love with Haskins I’m sure, or Murray if he goes football, I just am not sure it’ll be before 5 or 6 though.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That phrase, when it comes to drafting a top of the class LB, just don't go well together.  A team's Alpha Inside LB, is supposed to be the "Quarterback of the defense".  Do you really want to put that in the hands of a guy that is slow to diagnose a play?

Sounds like a rich mans Malik Jefferson....
we need starters not projects at #11 in draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 02:49 AM)pledgi Wrote: I really like White.  The only other inside linebacker who compares is Wilson from Alabama who is more polished, but with less upside.  After seeing what Vander Esch and Smith have done for the Cowboys and Bears this year, I really think this could be a huge impact pick that makes the whole defense better immediately.  I also think the fact he has only been a linebacker for a couple of years, but has been so productive, makes his upside phenomenal when he finally learns the position.  I think any right tackle or tight end would be a reach in the 8-15 range and those are the only needs that really compare with linebacker at this point.

Exactly.  But don't go part way, go all the way...

They got the LT and C last year, but neglected to have a better option than Hart (I mean, a tackling dummy could beat out Ogbuehi and Fisher) and the RG spot.  If they get a LB like him in the draft.  They also have to get a starter to pair with him in base at SAM that can move up to rush the passer.  Vigil and Evans are solid and could probably look much better if they had an ILB that knew his butt from a hole in the ground.

What you said about LVE at Dallas is dead on.  They got tired of Lee's injuries and that kid is a difference maker.  Hoping for the same, with added depth through FA.  Heck, I would even draft two LBs and try to find an instinctive guy from a smaller school that could surprise.
Reply/Quote