Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dhani Jones returns as a LB for the Bengals (At least in one snap)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHphz3VUAAA5u9x.jpg:large
Follow
Jay Morrison @JayMorrisonCMG
Former #Bengals LB Dhani Jones was at minicamp today, lining up as an official.
4:34 PM - 16 Jun 2015

thought this was cool.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
I always loved Dhani Jones. Guy was a character, student, and most importantly a class act.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dhani is a class act, and im glad the dude has stayed around the Cincy area as well as the Bengals organization.
Reply/Quote
Dhani does not get the credit he deserves for helping turn our defense around. When he was first inserted in the starting lineup in the middle of 2007 the Bengals defense was on pace to be one of the worst in NFL history (397.1 yards per game over first 8 games). We only allowed 300.3 over the last 8 with Jones starting at SOLB and rose from 32nd to 27th by the end of the year. In 2008 he moved over into the starting MLB position and we ranked 12th in yards allowed, and then in '09 we rose all the way to 4th (our highest ranking in 25 years).

I don't have high expectations for A J Hawk being an impact player for us, but the Bengals to have a history of getting solid production from older players (Jones, Nate Clements, Terrence Newman)
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 10:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't have high expectations for A J Hawk being an impact player for us, but the Bengals to have a history of getting solid production from older players (Jones, Nate Clements, Terrence Newman)

Have there ever been older players that they didn't get solid production from?

I'm just wondering because a typical fredtoast response to this would be to blatantly insult the person because they made a blanket statement and a claim only using 3 examples of "solid production" where there have been dozens and dozens of players signed over the last decade or so.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 10:30 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Have there ever been older players that they didn't get solid production from?

I'm just wondering because a typical fredtoast response to this would be to blatantly insult the person because they made a blanket statement and a claim only using 3 examples of "solid production" where there have been dozens and dozens of players signed over the last decade or so.

The typical fredtoast response is about football not petty personal animosity.

Of course there have been a lot of older players signed by the Bengals that did not produce.  But any NFL fan should understand that that is just a given.  Every NFL team in the league signs older players.  Almost every NFL player tries to hang on after he is washed up and every team in the league gives these guys a chance.  Most of them don't amount to anything, but the Bengals have a history of getting solid production out of some of these guys. 
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 10:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The typical fredtoast response is about football not petty personal animosity.

Of course there have been a lot of older players signed by the Bengals that did not produce.  But any NFL fan should understand that that is just a given.  Every NFL team in the league signs older players.  Almost every NFL player tries to hang on after he is washed up and every team in the league gives these guys a chance.  Most of them don't amount to anything, but the Bengals have a history of getting solid production out of some of these guys. 

Every NFL team has a history of getting solid production out of SOME older guys.

Do the Bengals do it at a higher rate than most? I'm not sure.

I think it's awesome that we turned around careers like Jones and Newman, but what about all of the others? The fact that we can't sit here and rattle off more names (outside of CB/S) makes me think it's not so much of a known history of them getting a lot out of older guys. If anything, I guess we could say they have a history of getting solid production out of older guys and reclamation projects in the secondary? I think that would fall more on positional coaching than anything though. Jones, Newman, Clements, Nelson (not old but turned his career around here), Crocker being able to come back and play at a decent level after sitting on his couch, J. Jo and Hall not being busts, and then late round picks like Iloka turning into excellent players. We don't really have that history at LB like we do in the secondary.

I don't want to be down on A.J. Hawk, but I don't see a track record at his position that makes me thrilled about a possible late career surge.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 10:30 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Have there ever been older players that they didn't get solid production from?

Superbowl MVP Dexter Jackson....
L Coles

Odom (outside of 1 game)

just off the top of my head without thinking.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 11:43 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Superbowl MVP Dexter Jackson....
L Coles

Odom (outside of 1 game)

just off the top of my head without thinking.

James Harrison, Jason Allen, Travelle Wharton, Jamaal Anderson (not necessarily "older" but had about 5 years NFL experience when signed)

Those are a few more in just recent memory.

FWIW, with any NFL team I'm sure there will be many more guys that didn't pan out than ones that did, I'm just not so sure that I'm ready to say the Bengals have a track record of turning older players into solid contributors regularly compared to their peers.
Reply/Quote

But hey, we kick a lot of tires...usually re-treads.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Not sure what was wrong with the response by Fred that sent you into douche mode.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 04:10 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure what was wrong with the response by Fred that sent you into douche mode.

Have you had ANY actual football discussion with your posts on the new board? Honestly, I feel like every single time I see your name it's just you bitching about somebody. Fred and I are alright, we argue like this all the time, he's a big boy and can handle himself just fine.

Now, do you think the Bengals have a track record of getting solid production out of older guys more so than their peers, the other teams around the league? I don't think so myself except for in the secondary and I attribute that to good positional coaching.
Reply/Quote
I'm a fan of Dhani and the work he did for us. He wasn't a flashy player but he was stout and got the job done and seemed to have a high IQ.
Reply/Quote
Always enjoyed Dhani. Good guy and a solid player.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote