Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diabetic Life
(12-05-2015, 01:46 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Gotta watch the corn.....too much is not good.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss.  I eat a crap ton of  salad....5 or 6 a week.  I just pack the makings to work every day and make it there.  I also do meat and cheese rollups and leftovers of course.  A wildcat says....avoid processed stuff at all costs.

It's about the only time I eat corn, and since that is supposed to be four servings it isn't so bad.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2015, 09:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's about the only time I eat corn, and since that is supposed to be four servings it isn't so bad.

Rock On

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My wife is hypoglycemic and she works on a few things. Her biggest is how one food will "counter" another. For instance she says "I can eat this as long as I eat this."

I know she says cinnamon is great.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2015, 11:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My wife is hypoglycemic and she works on a few things. Her biggest is how one food will "counter" another. For instance she says "I can eat this as long as I eat this."

I know she says cinnamon is great.

Cinnamon is supposed to help lower blood glucose levels, as well as lipids (blood fat).  I take two 500 mg capsules three times a day.  Not sure if it's helping, but it can't hurt anything.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2015, 10:46 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Cinnamon is supposed to help lower blood glucose levels, as well as lipids (blood fat).  I take two 500 mg capsules three times a day.  Not sure if it's helping, but it can't hurt anything.

I'm all about the vinegar. My grandfather swore by it, and I have also found that when eating vinegary foods my sugar levels will be lower.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: ...we also use spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta, if done right, it's great!

Richard Simmons suggested that.  He also suggested some other things I'm not as sold on, but that's neither here nor there.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2015, 10:46 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Cinnamon is supposed to help lower blood glucose levels, as well as lipids (blood fat).  I take two 500 mg capsules three times a day.  Not sure if it's helping, but it can't hurt anything.

She actually buys the cinnamon sticks and we have a grinder that she uses to grind it up. One of her favorite deserts is baked squash with cinnamon.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2015, 12:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm all about the vinegar. My grandfather swore by it, and I have also found that when eating vinegary foods my sugar levels will be lower.

I'd heard about the cinnamon , but not vinegar.  I eat greens a lot and use vinegar in them.  I also use balsamic vinegarette quite a bit. I also eat a bit of kraut and Kimchi.

What kind of foods are you eating high in vinegar content?  I need to try that out.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 01:34 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I'd heard about the cinnamon , but not vinegar.  I eat greens a lot and use vinegar in them.  I also use balsamic vinegarette quite a bit. I also eat a bit of kraut and Kimchi.

What kind of foods are you eating high in vinegar content?  I need to try that out.

Some of those same things you mention, I use it to marinade, lots of pickled items as well. Vinegar works differently for different people, but studies show that it does help lower glucose levels. It inhibits the digestion of some sugars in the intestines allowing them to pass through without being absorbed. Just two teaspoons worth can have some effect. I can just drink vinegar, though, I like it that much. LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 08:53 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Some of those same things you mention, I use it to marinade, lots of pickled items as well. Vinegar works differently for different people, but studies show that it does help lower glucose levels. It inhibits the digestion of some sugars in the intestines allowing them to pass through without being absorbed. Just two teaspoons worth can have some effect. I can just drink vinegar, though, I like it that much. LOL

Rock On ......don't know if I can drink it though.... Smirk

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 09:19 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Rock On ......don't know if I can drink it though.... Smirk

My wife does not like it when I do. LOL

She hates vinegar, whereas I grew up using it to clean everything, grew up eating lots of pickled and fermented foods, etc. So for me the smell of vinegar is just a part of what a home should smell like.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 09:46 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: My wife does not like it when I do. LOL

She hates vinegar, whereas I grew up using it to clean everything, grew up eating lots of pickled and fermented foods, etc. So for me the smell of vinegar is just a part of what a home should smell like.

hmmm my wife says pickle juice is good for something.... but i dont remember what it is... hangovers maybe?
Reply/Quote
So.....went to the endochrinologist....lost 9 more pounds, and sporting a 6.3 A1C.....kinda stoked.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 06:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: So.....went to the endochrinologist....lost 9 more pounds, and sporting a 6.3 A1C.....kinda stoked.

Nicely done my brother!   Cheers
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:38 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Nicely done my brother!   Cheers

Cheers  Thanks bro....been blessed with a little willpower and positive vibes. Now....most of the time....the mere thought of eating bad grosses me out. The Lord works in mysterious ways. LOL

Reply/Quote
Had a good blood workup today. 6.6 A1C and I also lost 7 pounds. I'm happy with that.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Had a good blood workup today. 6.6 A1C and I also lost 7 pounds. I'm happy with that.

I'm still a work in progress. I have my next appointment in late March. Next week things return to normal in my routine and I am going to start making even more dietary changes as well as trying to get some daily exercise in.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Had a good blood workup today.  6.6 A1C and I also lost 7 pounds.  I'm happy with that.

Cheers Alright man!!!!  That's what we like to see!

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Had a good blood workup today.  6.6 A1C and I also lost 7 pounds.  I'm happy with that.

Great numbers indeed. Are you taking any pharmaceuticals to accomplish this, or is this a result of diet and exercise only?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 12:59 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Great numbers indeed. Are you taking any pharmaceuticals to accomplish this, or is this a result of diet and exercise only?

Oh no, I take Novolog and Lantus insulins, plus Metformin.  But diet has played a big part, too.  Exercise, not so much.
Reply/Quote