Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Andy have the worst offensive supporting cast?
Everyone will point to AJ Green has a super star but after that what does Andy have?
Running Backs- Mixon and Bernard are pretty good but the Offensive Line blocking ruined their game this season.
WRs- Besides AJ Green who was the other capable Wr? Malone, Erickson, and Laffell we're all under 70% according to PFF. Which means below average/ both Malone and Laffell we're in the 40s which is considered poor. Boyd was good but he didn't play that much this past season.
TE- Kroft and UZ are backup TEs - Kroft was also considered a poor starter according to PFF.
Oline- yeah they sucked couldn't pass block or run blocking all year. Boiling was the only serviceable guy on the unit last season.
I bring this up because despite that Andy still managed to throw for 25 touchdowns last season to only 12 INTs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I don't know about the worst. For one, there's always the Browns. What did the Giants have after losing Beckham. What did Cam Newton have after trading Benjamin and losing Olsen - sure at least an O-Line, but still. And I don't even know for sure what the 49ers actually had. There are other bad supporting casts out there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals had decent paint on the house. Unfortunately, the foundation had three giant cracks in it for most of the season.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He had the second worst coaching staff only ahead of the 0-16 team up north.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Worst OL last season? One has to say yes. The line as a whole could neither pass block nor run block until the team had an internal meltdown and changed the blocking scheme. It has had the worst LT and C in football last year and the worst Center the last three years.

WR wise it is AJ Green then a bunch of players who are basically reserve types. Boyd started to flash late but everyone else showed zero ability to separate or play the ball in the air. At TE Eifert is made of glass and Uzomah is not starting material (way too inconsistent a receiver). Kroft flashed here and there that he can be a short yardage target and such but needs more snaps to be sure. Plus the pass protection was so bad that the ball had to come out super quick - which made it really hard to have plays develop.

RB is a question mark because the line play was so bad none of them ever had a chance to get into any real rhythm.
Reply/Quote
Not good, but I don't think it was the worst.
Reply/Quote
Not the worst but damn close.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 08:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: I don't know about the worst. For one, there's always the Browns. What did the Giants have after losing Beckham. What did Cam Newton have after trading Benjamin and losing Olsen - sure at least an O-Line, but still. And I don't even know for sure what the 49ers actually had. There are other bad supporting casts out there.

Newton had McCaffrey, Funchess emerged, Curtis Samuel came on....those guys made Benjamin expendable.  Johnathan Stewart is still Johnathan Stewart.

If we could run block.....our backs would have been a factor.  We also started off handcuffed by Zampese.....and went all season with Piano Man.  Then you have Mediocre Merv vs Ron Rivera.

I'd say NYG was the most decimated in the league.  They would be the worst.  The Brownies have Josh Gordon...and some decent pieces, need a QB badly. SF has Carlos Hyde, that's about it, but Jimmy G made a pretty big impact.....jury out.

All in all, we have some pretty good weapons, but as McC noted.....when you constantly lose the battle up front, all the nukes in the world won't make much difference.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 08:40 PM)McC Wrote: The Bengals had decent paint on the house.  Unfortunately, the foundation had three giant cracks in it for most of the season.

This

The OL was the root of most problems

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don’t know, I think the Oline got much better as the season went on. Kind of like a point guard in basketball, I view the QB position as one who’s #1 job is to put the players around him in position to be most successful. His job is to make them as good as they can be via leadership, presnap reads, and throws. All of that has to happen before the skill positions can even start to make a play. Andy doesn’t make anyone around him better. Tough for me to blame others after a certain point. AJ Green, for example, can get open, only to have the ball sail out of bounds, so many times before you realize that it isn’t usually the skill guys.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 12:22 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This

The OL was the root of most problems

I disagree. I think they had some bad moments and toug games, especially in run blocking (until The OC took over), but they had decent pass protection games and the QB just didn’t have it together. A lot of missed throws this year when protection was fine.
Reply/Quote
Like others have said, I don't know about worst but all things considered we were way down there.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 09:15 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I disagree. I think they had some bad moments and toug games, especially in run blocking (until The OC took over), but they had decent pass protection games and the QB just didn’t have it together. A lot of missedd throws this year when protection was fine.

We will just have to agree to disagree then. 

Working and do not have time to debate. but believe the bad throws you are referencing when he did have time was because he so rarely had time that he was hearing phantom footsteps. 

Who wouldn't after the pressure usually arrived before he could look at his second read. 

Plus one sets up the other and there was no rushing attack at all even though they have good rbs

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 10:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: We will just have to agree to disagree then. 

Working and do not have time to debate. but believe the bad throws you are referencing when he did have time was because he so rarely had time that he was hearing phantom footsteps. 

Who wouldn't after the pressure usually arrived before he could look at his second read. 

Plus one sets up the other and there was no rushing attack at all even though they have good rbs

I don’t completely disagree with you. I think the line was, in a general sense, below avg. to bad. I also think that Andy Dalton was, in a general sense, below average to bad. The line had a few good to ok games and so did Andy Dalton - both had horrible, awful games or moments as well. Those two things didn’t necessarily go hand in hand, either. Sometimes when the line was fine, Dalton struggled. Even the line was bad, sometimes Dalton was fine. The footsteps thing I don’t have any sympathy for. He’s the highest paid guy playing the most important position. It’s fair to expect excellence and for him to have nerves of steel. As the saying goes.... No pressure, no diamonds.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 11:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don’t completely disagree with you. I think the line was, in a general sense, below avg. to bad. I also think that Andy Dalton was, in a general sense, below average to bad. The line had a few good to ok games and so did Andy Dalton - both had horrible, awful games or moments as well. Those two things didn’t necessarily go hand in hand, either. Sometimes when the line was fine, Dalton struggled. Even the line was bad, sometimes Dalton was fine. The footsteps thing I don’t have any sympathy for. He’s the highest paid guy playing the most important position. It’s fair to expect excellence and for him to have nerves of steel. As the saying goes.... No pressure, no diamonds.

Andy was a fearless runner in college.  He took the shots, he made the plays.  Hell, he took TCU to an unexpected Rose Bowl win over a very physical Wisconsin team.  I don't think that Andy's nerve is at question.  When provided even a little bit of time, he can demonstrate excellence.  When you compare what he makes, to the average of QBs with similar experience, he's quite justified in erring on the side of protecting his health.

Edit: Not trying to make this an Andy thread..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Andy was a fearless runner in college.  He took the shots, he made the plays.  Hell, he took TCU to an unexpected Rose Bowl win over a very physical Wisconsin team.  I don't think that Andy's nerve is at question.  When provided even a little bit of time, he can demonstrate excellence.  When you compare what he makes, to the average of QBs with similar experience, he's quite justified in erring on the side of protecting his health.

Edit: Not trying to make this an Andy thread..

Oh, I agree with you! I actually don’t think Andy had happy feet or heard footsteps, which is what I was the notion that I referring to. I think he just had a horrible season. I don’t think for a moment he isn’t tough or mentally sound back there. He’s a tough dude!
Reply/Quote
He actually did not have a horrible season. 25 TD to 12 INT with the horrid protection, no run game and only one reliable receiver is impressive.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:37 AM)Joelist Wrote: He actually did not have a horrible season. 25 TD to 12 INT with the horrid protection, no run game and only one reliable receiver is impressive.

Maybe this season you can find the time to watch the games.

Nearly 25% of his TD total (6) came against the Browns. The worst team in the league the past however many seasons back. Feel free to check out his passer ratings against teams that weren't in the toilet this season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs

Other than 1 half against the Packers (he stunk in the 2nd half and couldn't generate any offense) and a good game against the Titans, Dalton beat up on the worst teams in the league and got shut down by the better ones. He had 10 games.... 10.... with under 225 yards passing. Impressive??? In 2017's NFL?!?! Are you kidding me!? Eli Manning had a way worse O-Line and way worse talent around him. Hell, he didn't even play in a game and EVEN COUNTING THE GAME HE SAT OUT only had 8. Andy Dalton was.... HORRIBLE.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 11:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don’t completely disagree with you. I think the line was, in a general sense, below avg. to bad. I also think that Andy Dalton was, in a general sense, below average to bad. The line had a few good to ok games and so did Andy Dalton - both had horrible, awful games or moments as well. Those two things didn’t necessarily go hand in hand, either. Sometimes when the line was fine, Dalton struggled. Even the line was bad, sometimes Dalton was fine. The footsteps thing I don’t have any sympathy for. He’s the highest paid guy playing the most important position. It’s fair to expect excellence and for him to have nerves of steel. As the saying goes.... No pressure, no diamonds.

Fair enough

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 01:15 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Maybe this season you can find the time to watch the games.

Nearly 25% of his TD total (6) came against the Browns. The worst team in the league the past however many seasons back. Feel free to check out his passer ratings against teams that weren't in the toilet this season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/andydalton/2495143/gamelogs

Other than 1 half against the Packers (he stunk in the 2nd half and couldn't generate any offense) and a good game against the Titans, Dalton beat up on the worst teams in the league and got shut down by the better ones. He had 10 games.... 10.... with under 225 yards passing. Impressive??? In 2017's NFL?!?! Are you kidding me!? Eli Manning had a way worse O-Line and way worse talent around him. Hell, he didn't even play in a game and EVEN COUNTING THE GAME HE SAT OUT only had 8. Andy Dalton was.... HORRIBLE.

I did watch the games and sorry but our line was the worst in the league. and Andy did pretty well with that godawful line, no running game and basically one receiver. Other lines did not constantly have pass rushers flying in unblocked over left tackle and also in the G-C gaps. Which also accounts in part for lower yardage - our blocking was so bad the ball had to be gotten out almost immediately. 
Reply/Quote