Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with 11 picks
Don't be afraid to move up for what you want.

And also let your new coaches have a say in what they want. I want to see what offensive lineman Frank Pollack wants and what system he wants to implement with the blocking scheme.
Would like to see what Teryl Austin is bringing over, will he want a linebacker who's similar to Deion Jones? (Roquon) Or will he want to go after a defensive tackle in Vea?
There's positions we need to upgrade over. And also can't be afraid to look at smaller school guys as well.

11 picks is nice, but, as you said, it's highly unlikely all 11 will even make the roster. Move around if need be, stock up for next year if need be. Be aggressive in the draft as well. Move around. The Bengals moved back before and ended up with Zeitler and Mixon, for instance.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 11:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except just because you have seventh round picks, doesn't mean they're worth a whole lot in trade value.  There's a reason why teams get so many 7th round compensation picks, as opposed to earlier.  The draft is a crapshoot, but you're much more likely to hit on guys of value in the upper rounds.

Price was my early wish, partly because I'm a OSU homer, and I'd still love to get him and think he'd solidify our line.

I wish we could take James at 12 and still find a way to trade back into the first to get Price.

Agreed on 7ths not having a whole lot of value. Would much rather have a couple 4th rounders and no 7th round picks.

Would love to get Derwin James and Billy Price and i am no OSU homer.

(02-27-2018, 12:01 PM)spazz70 Wrote: So, we have like 10-15 coaches and the scouting staff of about 5 or so.  These guys have nothing to do but scout right now.  How many players do you think you could do in one day, watching tape and so on.  I know we have a small staff but in today's world I think that they can look at most every player they need to.

Exactly what i believe. I know i would be watching tape none stop right now if i was a coach or in the scouting dept.

Shit, i watch as much tape as i can and it isn't my damn job ffs.

(02-27-2018, 04:21 PM)Benton Wrote: I hope technology plays a role but the tech should be getting better and our drafts aren’t (it’s been a few years since we had a stellar draft... or one with a few quality starters).

But just number wise, you’re looking at 3000+ eligible for the draft. If 10 scours/coaches turn their attention to it, that’s a few hours a day if you’re trying to skim the surface. Which I’m guessing we try to  identify guys likely to be where we pick and see which ones fit.

Injuries construe drafts. We have been very unlucky with injuries to our top drafted players lately but that is on the
FO, coaches and scouts as well, especially with Og and Ross. WJ3 and Billings were just bad luck i guess. But WJ3
looks like he could very well be one of the top Corners in the NFL soon and i still have hope for Billings.

(02-27-2018, 04:36 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Well maybe they should come to the board and do some scouting because I see some pretty extensive scouting done by our board members and that is not even their job.  These coaches/scouts should be doing pretty much nothing but looking at film and players 24 hours a day right now.  

Even 8 hours a day like a normal job you could get a lot of film in, tons.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 07:06 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Don't be afraid to move up for what you want.

And also let your new coaches have a say in what they want. I want to see what offensive lineman Frank Pollack wants and what system he wants to implement with the blocking scheme.
Would like to see what Teryl Austin is bringing over, will he want a linebacker who's similar to Deion Jones? (Roquon) Or will he want to go after a defensive tackle in Vea?
There's positions we need to upgrade over. And also can't be afraid to look at smaller school guys as well.

11 picks is nice, but, as you said, it's highly unlikely all 11 will even make the roster. Move around if need be, stock up for next year if need be. Be aggressive in the draft as well. Move around. The Bengals moved back before and ended up with Zeitler and Mixon, for instance.

Wolf, you should be a scout for this team. Seriously. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 10:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wolf, you should be a scout for this team. Seriously. Mellow

I've been getting my foot in the door in that scouting world. I met a few scouts through social media and the site I write for. One day I hope to be a scout.

One thing I learned, however, is there's a lot more broken down tape than I even imagined.

Fun fact: This one scout showed me that when he scouts WRs, he dedicates a day to watching a full game and only writing down plays when he's not catching the ball or thrown the ball. How are his routes when he clearly won't get the ball? Will he block? Does he fake defenders and they respect his speed so they follow him instead of watching the play unfold? Does he slow down his routes as the play goes on? Does he use his hands in press coverage?

He showed me some notes on watching DaeSeawn Hamilton against Iowa. Brought up a whole new world.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
O-Line
O-Line
O-Line
O-Line Backup
O-Line Backup
D-Line Backup
D-Line Backup
BPA
BPA
BPA
BPA
Reply/Quote
Everyone shouldn't make it ,but everyone needs competition .
Reply/Quote
Lets draft another kicker and cut him.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 12:34 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Lets draft another kicker and cut him.

And then watch him get picked up by the next SB Champs :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 02:56 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: And then watch him get picked up by the next SB Champs :)

And miss 2 extra points in just 3 postseason games.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 06:55 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Everyone shouldn't make it ,but everyone needs competition .

Except FG kickers, apparently.

People want us to just give the job to any kicker we draft instead of having any type of competition.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 06:38 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He showed me some notes on watching DaeSeawn Hamilton against Iowa. Brought up a whole new world.

And what did he see?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 07:06 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: 11 picks is nice, but, as you said, it's highly unlikely all 11 will even make the roster. Move around if need be, stock up for next year if need be. Be aggressive in the draft as well. Move around. The Bengals moved back before and ended up with Zeitler and Mixon, for instance.

And I like those 2 players...   but I would rather have had DeCastro and Cook.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 04:49 PM)3wt Wrote: And I like those 2 players...   but I would rather have had DeCastro and Cook.

Well DeCastro was cheaper to retain in free agency than Zeitler, but I would rather have Mixon and Josh Malone than just Cook.  I still think Malone can be a very good WR for us.
Reply/Quote
I would keep them all unless I get blown away by a deal! This team has so many weaknesses that we need the picks to maybe find a diamond in the rough. Barring FA, we need major upgrades at Oline and Linebacker. I can see us drafting 3 Olinemen this year and 2 Linebackers this year out of our first 8 picks!!! 7th rounders are valuable because players always slide and this is where you can fill the back of your roster cheaply saving $$$ for FA, (punter, 3rd TE, 5th CB)
Reply/Quote
Package them together, trade up, and get the 4 best OL and 1 best LB you can manage.

Or if you (*GASP*) sign a good FA OL, then package them together, trade up, and get the 3 best OL and 1 best LB you can manage. This team could probably use some more help elsewhere (#2 WR, both Safeties, a second DT unless you are counting MJ as that, all LBs not named Burfict) but really if you replace 4/5ths of the OL from last year and add a good LB, this team could probably win some games and make it to the playoffs so Marvin could choke again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 12:34 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Lets draft another kicker and cut him.

Would not be a shocker. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Our GM is a moron so just let all the common sense go out the window.

Then pick up any random NFL draft magazine and find a few players based on the talking heads and flip a coin or use a ouija board to make a selection.

You'll have about as decent a draft as the Bengals GM.

The more picks the better chance you have of randomly hitting a good one.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 06:38 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I've been getting my foot in the door in that scouting world. I met a few scouts through social media and the site I write for. One day I hope to be a scout.

One thing I learned, however, is there's a lot more broken down tape than I even imagined.

Fun fact: This one scout showed me that when he scouts WRs, he dedicates a day to watching a full game and only writing down plays when he's not catching the ball or thrown the ball. How are his routes when he clearly won't get the ball? Will he block? Does he fake defenders and they respect his speed so they follow him instead of watching the play unfold? Does he slow down his routes as the play goes on? Does he use his hands in press coverage?

He showed me some notes on watching DaeSeawn Hamilton against Iowa. Brought up a whole new world.

Awesome Wolf. That tells a lot about a WR's effort that is for sure.

Funny how TO was such a great and he would cut off his routes all the time when the ball wasn't going his way.

I swear this guy destroyed nearly every team he went to. A cancer if there ever was one.

Kind of hard for me to call it greatness no matter how talented he was.
Reply/Quote