Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Did Chase send a not so subtle message to Joe?
(02-24-2023, 06:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Route running and speed is magnified in the slot. More room to work with. Harder to double and he can still go vertical. He's gonna still line up out wide but the majority of his snaps should be from the slot. 

Agree completely. It amplifies Ja'Marr's abilities.

(02-24-2023, 08:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The problem with that is Boyd can pretty much only play slot. He’s not very good on the outside at all. So for at least one more season that kind of limits how much you can use Chase there.

That is why Boyd is the Receiver we can afford to lose. Bring back Tee and add another Receiver in the Draft who is fast and versatile.

Love Boyd though, will miss his sure hands and clutch play.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 02:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree completely. It amplifies Ja'Marr's abilities.

That is why Boyd is the Receiver we can afford to lose. Bring back Tee and add another Receiver in the Draft who is fast and versatile.

Love Boyd though, will miss his sure hands and clutch play.

Unless it is the Super Bowl....

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 11:41 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Unless it is the Super Bowl....

I thought about making the same remark a couple days ago. Who knows to what extent that play would have changed the game. I'd need to watch the game again to get a feel for it and I have no intention of watching the loss and feeling disappointed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 11:46 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I thought about making the same remark a couple days ago. Who knows to what extent that play would have changed the game. I'd need to watch the game again to get a feel for it and I have no intention of watching the loss and feeling disappointed.

The play that bothers me as much as the drop was after Awuzie's interception.  We are driving into the red zone, Boyd runs an option route, with the defender inside - Boyd inexplicably opts to go inside to the defender, Joe is already in motion to throw it outside as it is obvious and wide open.  Joe has to eat it and is sacked, we were forced to kick a FG.  We could have really began to put them away with a TD there.  It's one of the few times I've seen Joe bark a little at a player.  A veteran should NOT make bonehead mistakes in the SB.

Reply/Quote

Boyd keeps getting injured. Small, recurring issues that cause stretches of a dissappearing act.

No one talks about his leaving the AFCCG early and how that significantly impacted the game.

The Bengals NEED threats in the center mid or center post portions of the field. They have none (even w Boyd healthy it is just OK), which allows the Safeties to go wide high and double Higgins & Chase.

I know it is a hot take, but I am a huge proponent of the TE from ND in this draft if he is there while signing PROVEN assets on the Oline and Dline. Joe and these coaches have shown they can make things happen w young skill guys. Proven commodities on the lines are worth their weight in gold at this point for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 11:54 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The play that bothers me as much as the drop was after Awuzie's interception.  We are driving into the red zone, Boyd runs an option route, with the defender inside - Boyd inexplicably opts to go inside to the defender, Joe is already in motion to throw it outside as it is obvious and wide open.  Joe has to eat it and is sacked, we were forced to kick a FG.  We could have really began to put them away with a TD there.  It's one of the few times I've seen Joe bark a little at a player.  A veteran should NOT make bonehead mistakes in the SB.

I agree w this sentiment.

I'm not 100% sure Boyd is quite right for this group of Bengals. He seems to not be a personality fit to a degree. He even stated that Joe and his relationship is about business.... where as these other guys all seem to genuinely be buddies. It was a weird moment in a groupninterview when Boyd started talking about that. Add in the Boyd clubbing stories, the Boyd banging on a rap star and the superbowl attention that garnered, etc etc.... He just doesn't seem like he fits exactly right.

Nothing against the above. There is no question that 25 year old Pdub80 would have been more Boyd than not. But that's not what this is about. I'm sure they like him... but he just lately dissapears and has weird moments like you're describing when it really matters.

Higgins running wrong routes is super frutsrating to me as well. He took responsibility for Joe's INT in this year's AFCCG because he ran the wrong route, and either he or Irwin ran the wrong route on a huge 2nd down miss on the Bengals last drive that game as well. Both cut in when one was obviously supposed to cut OUT to the sideline.

^ Huge bummer because Joe put the ball rght there and it wouldnhave been a simple out and out of bounds after a first down. Instead.... 3rd & long.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 12:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Boyd keeps getting injured. Small, recurring issues that cause stretches of a dissappearing act.

No one talks about his leaving the AFCCG early and how that significantly impacted the game.

The Bengals NEED threats in the center mid or center post portions of the field. They have none (even w Boyd healthy it is just OK), which allows the Safeties to go wide high and double Higgins & Chase.

I know it is a hot take, but I am a huge proponent of the TE from ND in this draft if he is there while signing PROVEN assets on the Oline and Dline. Joe and these coaches have shown they can make things happen w young skill guys. Proven commodities on the lines are worth their weight in gold at this point for the Bengals.

Tyler simply appears to be too slow.  Mayer isnt a speed demon either though, but obviously a solid plug-n-play TE.

We really should draft a WR this year.  If they do, it will be interesting to see which direction they take.

Parker Washington or Tyler Scott type would be obvious Boyd replacements.

Xavier Hutchinson, AT Perry type could be a prelude that Chase is going to the slot more in the future.

I also like Mingo down at Ole Miss, guy could be a bigger Deebo Samuel.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 12:09 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I agree w this sentiment.

I'm not 100% sure Boyd is quite right for this group of Bengals. He seems to not be a personality fit to a degree. He even stated that Joe and his relationship is about business.... where as these other guys all seem to genuinely be buddies. It was a weird moment in a groupninterview when Boyd started talking about that. Add in the Boyd clubbing stories, the Boyd banging on a rap star and the superbowl attention that garnered, etc etc.... He just doesn't seem like he fits exactly right.

Nothing against the above. There is no question that 25 year old Pdub80 would have been more Boyd than not. But that's not what this is about. I'm sure they like him... but he just lately dissapears and has weird moments like you're describing when it really matters.

Higgins running wrong routes is super frutsrating to me as well. He took responsibility for Joe's INT in this year's AFCCG because he ran the wrong route, and either he or Irwin ran the wrong route on a huge 2nd down miss on the Bengals last drive that game as well. Both cut in when one was obviously supposed to cut OUT to the sideline.

^ Huge bummer because Joe put the ball rght there and it wouldnhave been a simple out and out of bounds after a first down. Instead.... 3rd & long.

You dont want to know what Boyd said he would hope his next contract number would be, and the number he would accept...

Reply/Quote

Way to set me straight, damn.  Whatever

That brings back bad memories. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 06:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As nice as it would be to keep Tee, if Burrow is as elite as we think he is he might have to find a way to get stuff done with only one top end WR, and I think he can.  I can see us having Burrow, Chase, and maybe Boyd too but a decent number of plug-in guys who get stuff done because they have Burrow as their QB. 

Not if he doesn't have the oline to give him the time to get that stuff done. Get him 2 or 3 pro bowlers that can stay healthy on the oline and IMO Cinci will have its first SB win..
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 12:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Tyler simply appears to be too slow.  Mayer isnt a speed demon either though, but obviously a solid plug-n-play TE.

We really should draft a WR this year.  If they do, it will be interesting to see which direction they take.

Parker Washington or Tyler Scott type would be obvious Boyd replacements.

Xavier Hutchinson, AT Perry type could be a prelude that Chase is going to the slot more in the future.

I also like Mingo down at Ole Miss, guy could be a bigger Deebo Samuel.

I haven't done my deep dive into the draft yet, but I think something lacking all over the Bengals is quick twitch, speed, and versatility - but all teams are looking for that. Versitile WRs are obviously sought after all over the league, but those quick, elusive hybrid guys could do wonders for the Bengals explosivity. I think the offensive playbook needs to certainly get updated to a degree. I felt like there's a lof of duplication in what the Bengals have on offense and not a lot of uniqueness where teams had to prepare for different poisons on a game by game basis. My favorite games this season were when Hurst was involved early. They went away from him for long stretches and I think that let defenses get comfortable and settle into a gameplan. Excited to see what happens to the roster this offseason. I don't want to see a lot of the same guys resigned who were around last year - save for a few. It needs to continue to evolve.

^ To that point, I do have a ton of faith in this Bengals staff to make changes and tough choices to move on whereas the previous group was not into that type of progressive turnover. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 08:44 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I haven't done my deep dive into the draft yet, but I think something lacking all over the Bengals is quick twitch, speed, and versatility - but all teams are looking for that. Versitile WRs are obviously sought after all over the league, but those quick, elusive hybrid guys could do wonders for the Bengals explosivity. I think the offensive playbook needs to certainly get updated to a degree. I felt like there's a lof of duplication in what the Bengals have on offense and not a lot of uniqueness where teams had to prepare for different poisons on a game by game basis. My favorite games this season were when Hurst was involved early. They went away from him for long stretches and I think that let defenses get comfortable and settle into a gameplan. Excited to see what happens to the roster this offseason. I don't want to see a lot of the same guys resigned who were around last year - save for a few. It needs to continue to evolve.

^ To that point, I do have a ton of faith in this Bengals staff to make changes and tough choices to move on whereas the previous group was not into that type of progressive turnover. 

We definitely would be more dangerous with more speed/quickness in the backfield and in the WR room.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 07:48 PM)Old Dipstick Wrote: Not if he doesn't have the oline to give him the time to get that stuff done. Get him 2 or 3 pro bowlers that can stay healthy on the oline and IMO Cinci will have its first SB win..

Just 3 pro bowlers on the oline?  Why didnt they think of that?

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 11:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Just 3 pro bowlers on the oline?  Why didnt they think of that?

Needs to go from "why didn't they think of that" to doing that. At this point even 1 would be better than what they have now.

Eagles/Chiefs have three each. The Bengals can't even have one?  

Unless its all rigged and it doesn't matter anyway..
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 08:22 AM)Old Dipstick Wrote: Needs to go from "why didn't they think of that" to doing that. At this point even 1 would be better than what they have now.

Eagles/Chiefs have three each. The Bengals can't even have one?  

Unless its all rigged and it doesn't matter anyway..

It's not rigged, we had the chance to sign both of KC's guards and their center.  We are horrible at drafting oline.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 03:03 AM)casear2727 Wrote: It's not rigged, we had the chance to sign both of KC's guards and their center.  We are horrible at drafting oline.

The notion that the NFL is rigged for teams like the Chiefs and Eagles would have been side splitting a decade ago. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote