Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Geno have a bad year in 2016
I just noticed that Geno was ranked 69th in the top 100 players over at NFL.com. Wasn't he ranked in the 20s the year before?
Reply/Quote
Maybe when the team is down, everyone pays the price. I guess AJ will be the true test.

Geno is getting up there in age, but he should have a couple more "elite" years left. Some youth on the line may help rejuvenate him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I thought he played well. However, you didn't hear his name called as often as previous. I think he was very effective.

Reply/Quote
He had the most sacks by an interior defensive lineman last season.
Reply/Quote
He had a great year but a bad year for him. If Marcus Hardison has a season like Geno just did everybody in the NFL would loose their crap. For Geno it was meh but great players make great seasons look like meh.
2011, 2012, 2015 seasons for Geno on average. Tackles 47 and  sacks 10. Last season 32 tackles and 9 sacks.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Geno had a great season. It's not his fault that teams were more easily able to double down on he and Carlos, with Peko and Johnson being the path of lesser resistance..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If you look at the game threads you'd think he was pure trash.

Dude was solid as ever
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Geno had a great season.  It's not his fault that teams were more easily able to double down on he and Carlos, with Peko and Johnson being the path of lesser resistance..

Yup

And when you add in the fact that "impact plays" aren't as impactful when you're getting thumped.
Reply/Quote
Still the 2nd best DT in the league.
Reply/Quote
He's a very strong man who gets great leverage. Nobody would want to go one on one with him. The team has a small window left now though... I'd say 2-3 years. You can't not advance deep into the playoffs with this core. The Bengals very well may though, that would be a sad waste of 3 beastly players too.
Reply/Quote
It was pretty much an 'Average Geno' year. Which isn't a bad year to have for 98% of the DTs in the NFL. 

Next Gen Stats: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784423/article/aaron-donald-leads-top10-interior-pass-rushers

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 09:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It was pretty much an 'Average Geno' year. Which isn't a bad year to have for 98% of the DTs in the NFL. 

Next Gen Stats: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784423/article/aaron-donald-leads-top10-interior-pass-rushers

I think you're absolutely dead on....I seem to always expect Geno to dominate, so if he's only an all pro that's bad for him.  He has had better years

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 05:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: He had the most sacks by an interior defensive lineman last season.

/thread.

Geno had another outstanding year. He's spoiled us to the point where we barely remember what it's like not to have an amazing 3 tech racking up sacks and pressures at a Hall of Fame pace. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I try not to watch those stupid rankings. They always end up pissing me off. Dalton probably won't even be on the list with 4250 yards passing, 7 INTs, and huge losses of their weapons to injury.
Reply/Quote
If Adkins had a 'bad season' last year that ain't exactly saying much about the rest of the league now is it? It certainly says nothing about opposing offensive linemen. It almost makes it sound like Ced had a HOF season which didn't exactly happen unless you're tracking Hall of Famely bad.. I don't think that's a category.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's a list based on how other players rank them. It was cool in the beginning, but it's gotten painful lately. A lot of players say that they never receive the ballots and some choose to not fill them out. Then you get guys who just vote for teammates or only put 5 names on the list. It doesn't surprise me that Geno dropped so far. I've seen players get ranked in the teens and then not make the list the next year. Despite having a good year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Geno had a really good year. Most of these lists are offensively geared, so I'm sure you'll see a lot of QB's and WR's up at the top. I wouldn't worry too much about their rankings. It's just offseason fodder for people who are bored and want something to read. I know that the gut reaction is to think that 68 is too low, but when you consider there are about 1,696 players in the NFL...that's what will make you realize just how great he's been. Whether Geno is 1, 20, 68, or whatever, I think everyone realizes the guy is really dang good and plays really well, even when he's being double teamed.
Reply/Quote