Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Grunge really kill hair metal?
Sure, Grunge played a role, perhaps a large role even. But I think hip-hop/rap influenced it’s death as well, if not equally or more so.

Right around the turn of the decade (89-91), Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Young MC & Tone Loc turned the tide of pop music. Along with established acts becoming (more) mainstream like Salt n Pepa & LL Cool J.

Yo MTV Raps ushered in the new king of Rock n Roll in the form of hip hop that’s held that title ever since.

Bands like Nirvana & Pearl Jam get all the credit for killing the comically, over-the-top sound of hair metal 80’s rock n roll, but the (equally comical) beats of Vanilla Ice & MC Hammer danced on the grave of the sweet decadent sounds of Warrant & Winger as much as Sound Garden buried the 80’s sound the rain soaked backyards of Seattle.

Agree or disagree?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
I believe it was a combo of both and the "over the top" stuff that was getting thrown out there by bands.

Glam looks, faster guitars, higher vocals all drove it right into the wall.

I do believe that rap has killed a lot of rock up to now including grunge and modern country kicked it in the teeth when it was down.

There was still a lot of metal around when Grunge was mainstream.

Metallica and Megadeth prospered.

The flash of hair bands was replaced by bling of another sort... so yeah I would say so in that aspect.

My only question with rap is that most music reaches an end with content. Plus having a dude who goes "uh, uh, yeah" in the background.  Isn't that shit cliche yet??

Hair bands - Chicks, Party, Kicking Ass, party some more
Country - Beer, Pickup Trucks, Beer, Leavin' Me, Beer
Rap - I got stuff, money, shaking ass, hoes, did I mention I got stuff?,  makin' more money, I'm high, ballin', made up words from the hood/gang lingo

I'm just so bored of the majority that is being made today.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 11:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Sure, Grunge played a role, perhaps a large role even. But I think hip-hop/rap influenced it’s death as well, if not equally or more so.

Right around the turn of the decade (89-91), Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Young MC & Tone Loc turned the tide of pop music. Along with established acts becoming (more) mainstream like Salt n Pepa & LL Cool J.

Yo MTV Raps ushered in the new king of Rock n Roll in the form of hip hop that’s held that title ever since.

Bands like Nirvana & Pearl Jam get all the credit for killing the comically, over-the-top sound of hair metal 80’s rock n roll, but the (equally comical) beats of Vanilla Ice & MC Hammer danced on the grave of the sweet decadent sounds of Warrant & Winger as much as Sound Garden buried the 80’s sound the rain soaked backyards of Seattle.

Agree or disagree?

Metal just evolved....    When hairspray ran low...  when the 80s became the 90s

Grunge killed themselves.

Of the Two Metal is still rolling strong
Reply/Quote
Yeah, hairspray was never really "metal" but pop-metal, at best.

And anything pop tends abuse the new trend until people get sick of it or are ready for something different.

Although what do you guys think about Imagine Dragons being a modern day hairband/balled-type? I'm sure others fit the mold as well, but that's the one that screams to me being an old formula repackaged.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
Hair Metal killed itself...

... because it always sucked!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 02:14 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yeah, hairspray was never really "metal" but pop-metal, at best.

And anything pop tends abuse the new trend until people get sick of it or are ready for something different.

Although what do you guys think about Imagine Dragons being a modern day hairband/balled-type?  I'm sure others fit the mold as well, but that's the one that screams to me being an old formula repackaged.

I'm not sure about Imagine Dragons.

That folk rock crap fizzled out pretty quick though.

Mumford & Sons and all of the other bands of the kind of flashed big for a second and then seemed to slide back into obscurity.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 08:53 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Hair Metal killed itself...

... because it always sucked!

Exactly, I can still listen to some Judas Priest or ZZ Top, who were also famous at that time period, and be in full time-warp musical bliss.  But when some cheesy act like Warrant or Winger gets airplay from one of their "hits", I always chuckle and turn the station.

Hair bands had no soul to them!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Video killed the radio star
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 10:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, I can still listen to some Judas Priest or ZZ Top, who were also famous at that time period, and be in full time-warp musical bliss.  But when some cheesy act like Warrant or Winger gets airplay from one of their "hits", I always chuckle and turn the station.

Hair bands had no soul to them!

There were lots of good hair bands.
Reply/Quote
Hair Metal made it on the look as opposed to the sound imo.

MTV just started up and videos were the new thing. Beattles had already done this but they were mostly short movies until MTV launched.

Then it was all about the look momentarily. Still is in Country.

But it did not take long for Hair Metal to be exposed as piss poor.

Glad I grew up in 60's and 70's and listened and attended live all the great ones in lieu of that junk.

PS ZZ Top was famous as a southern rock band long before that but they tried to switch their style for the era.

Lagrange, Jesus just left Chicago, Tush, and I'm Nationwide.

Remember one song that used to jam on by them that is obscure now because the lyrics forced the radio to quit playing because it promoted drinking and driving. Arrested for driving while blind.

Catchy tune but politically incorrect nowadays.

Oops, guess I am showing my age now.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Glad some of the younger generation is bringing back that old sound like Blackberry Smoke and Marcus King.

Soothes my soul and hope to see Charlie Starr and Marcus King on stage together.

Marcus' song "Virginia" is a really one.

Kid can slay a guitar !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 01:58 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I believe it was a combo of both and the "over the top" stuff that was getting thrown out there by bands.

Glam looks, faster guitars, higher vocals all drove it right into the wall.

I do believe that rap has killed a lot of rock up to now including grunge and modern country kicked it in the teeth when it was down.

There was still a lot of metal around when Grunge was mainstream.

Metallica and Megadeth prospered.

The flash of hair bands was replaced by bling of another sort... so yeah I would say so in that aspect.

My only question with rap is that most music reaches an end with content. Plus having a dude who goes "uh, uh, yeah" in the background.  Isn't that shit cliche yet??

Hair bands - Chicks, Party, Kicking Ass, party some more
Country - Beer, Pickup Trucks, Beer, Leavin' Me, Beer
Rap - I got stuff, money, shaking ass, hoes, did I mention I got stuff?,  makin' more money, I'm high, ballin', made up words from the hood/gang lingo

I'm just so bored of the majority that is being made today.

I agree, hair metal had a large part in its own death because it became watered down with so many mediocre bands joining the fray like any other fads that come around.

There were some legit bands from that era, Motley Crue, Guns n Roses, Van Halen, Quiet Riot, the lesser known Bullet Boys were a band I liked, and the rest I can do without.  

Rap seems to be infiltrating everything these days.....even "country".  God I miss Waylon Jennings.

[Image: now-listen-youstupid-sumbitch-wehatepopc...943786.png]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I guess this is what I'd like to be clarified.

What is "Hair Metal"?

I think Glam Rock is more what I see fitting the "Hair Band" moniker itself.

Poison, Warrant, Bullet Boys, Enuff Z NufF, Winger and others fit that mold with the glam look from the start.

Some grew into it.

Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Great White, Dokken all grew in that direction.

Whitesnake was an off shoot of Deep Purple/Rainbow sounds.

Def Leppard's early material is guitar riff heavy and they admittedly wanted to chase AC/DC's feel and sound.

Motely Crue was a different band in itself. With their Kiss influenced look & budding mid 80s hard rock.

Dokken had great guitar work and were another mid 80s hard rock band that got sucked into the whole video look.

Tesla is not a "Hair Band" in my opinion. Just like Def Leppard initially were they were AC/DC inspired riff rock and blues. Great White were straight bluesy rock up until they covered "Once Bitten Twice Shy" and leaned towards glam.

Those of you that didn't like 80s rock you probably won't be convinced by this statement...

In the 80s Hard Rock/Metal genres infused more musical styles in their music(especially guitar)than most eras before.

In one song you could here any mix of rock, metal, funk, blues, classical, pop, rap, opera, you name it.

It was a melting pot of many styles. Guitar styles for sure. No boundaries.

Of course there were bands before who dabbled in this and now a days it's a lot more common.

I do think some of the best music was made in the 60s and 70s. So I'm not just biased to that 80s stuff.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 11:32 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Glad some of the younger generation is bringing back that old sound like Blackberry Smoke and Marcus King.

Soothes my soul and hope to see Charlie Starr and Marcus King on stage together.

Marcus' song "Virginia" is a really one.

Kid can slay a guitar !

Love me some Blackberry Smoke.

Great band !   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 10:11 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not sure about Imagine Dragons.

That folk rock crap fizzled out pretty quick though.

Mumford & Sons and all of the other bands of the kind of flashed big for a second and then seemed to slide back into obscurity.

Actually people got pissed at Mumford & Sons and abandoned them because their next album had a completely different style to it, as they were not going to be limited or defined by one thing.  Kudos to them for doing so.

Music regularly evolves, and artists that do the same tend to have longevity.

Listen to Led Zeppelin I, then III, then Physical Graffiti, then In Through The Outdoor.  Very different style after 10 years.

Listen to Metallica's latest, then Ride the Lightning.  You'll wonder aloud if it is truly the same band.

Hair Metal did one thing, with the music almost taking a back seat to the look of the musicians.  It wasn't really good music to start with, and it never evolved or had any way to do so.

At least Kiss had the actual Hard Rock sounds of the 70's to fall back on, which helped keep them relevant.

Just my two cents, of course.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 09:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I guess this is what I'd like to be clarified.

What is "Hair Metal"?

[Image: 199738ed-8e3b-4d61-9626-e9fdc82dedc9?w=800]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 09:25 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: [Image: 199738ed-8e3b-4d61-9626-e9fdc82dedc9?w=800]

The more you might laugh at this.

Also remember these guys...

[Image: Van+halen+band.jpg][Image: th?id=OIP.PADyZbYGH_mOcMfBF8qcSQHaEW&pid...=279&h=164][Image: th?id=OIP.sgMIYpvAovDtNql-rvIB3gHaFN&pid...=239&h=169][Image: th?id=OIP.eqklmEmPzfKEkYh6YYqFngAAAA&pid...=173&h=160][Image: th?id=OIP.kAFQ6-j5p44idArTNa0sIAEsC0&pid...=297&h=179][Image: sweet1.jpg]

I mean just Google this stuff.  There were many posers before MTV.  These guys posed when FM radio was king.

You can go through time and see where fashion bleeds into the very fabric of music.

It's this skewed vision that 80s music is the only one who embraced it.  Simply not true.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 09:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I guess this is what I'd like to be clarified.

What is "Hair Metal"?

I think Glam Rock is more what I see fitting the "Hair Band" moniker itself.

Poison, Warrant, Bullet Boys, Enuff Z NufF, Winger and others fit that mold with the glam look from the start.

Some grew into it.

Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Great White, Dokken all grew in that direction.

Whitesnake was an off shoot of Deep Purple/Rainbow sounds.

Def Leppard's early material is guitar riff heavy and they admittedly wanted to chase AC/DC's feel and sound.

Motely Crue was a different band in itself.  With their Kiss influenced look & budding mid 80s hard rock.

Dokken had great guitar work and were another mid 80s hard rock band that got sucked into the whole video look.

Tesla is not a "Hair Band" in my opinion.  Just like Def Leppard initially were they were AC/DC inspired riff rock and blues.  Great White were straight bluesy rock up until they covered "Once Bitten Twice Shy" and leaned towards glam.

Those of you that didn't like 80s rock you probably won't be convinced by this statement...

In the 80s Hard Rock/Metal genres infused more musical styles in their music(especially guitar)than most eras before.

In one song you could here any mix of rock, metal, funk, blues, classical, pop, rap, opera, you name it.

It was a melting pot of many styles.  Guitar styles for sure.  No boundaries.

Of course there were bands before who dabbled in this and now a days it's a lot more common.

I do think some of the best music was made in the 60s and 70s.  So I'm not just biased to that 80s stuff.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but if we say glam rock, we're going to have to go back to the 70's with Bowie, Gary Glitter, T. Rex, etc.  Which, I dig some of that stuff too.  I mean, I like a lot of different genres, and subgenres.  It's unoriginal stuff, and the hangers on that I don't like.  I don't really like much pop music, with some exceptions here and there.....that said, I have no problem with it as long as the execs KEEP IT IN THE POP GENRE.  Don't call it country or anything else, but for the love of God, STOP CALLING IT COUNTRY......friggin' Garth Brooks. Pissed

Back on topic, good point about a lot of these bands that morphed into the hair band era.  I really dug Great White and Whitesnake too.  (Do you recall the one off of Coverdale/Page?).  Def Lepperd is one I can take or leave.  I don't despise them, I just never really got into them.  I liked some of Tesla's stuff.  I liked a little RATT.

I certainly agree with the melding of a lot of musical influences in hair band rock.  The 80s were about excess, and hair band music had plenty of that....lol.  I liked a lot of the guitar work from the era.....just found it to be lyrically shallow in a lot of cases, and some of those voices....YIKES!  That said, it's still better than 90% of the garbage out today, where instruments are not to be found, and a lot of the vocals are friggin AutoTune.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Much of today’s radio is pure crap. Very rarely do I find something worthwhile on the airwaves. However, there are some good new bands getting air; Caged The Elephant is one such band. The best source for great new music is Pandora or Spotify or something similar. Great music is still being made, it’s just not gonna find you, you’ve gotta find it.

I’m far from a country music fan, but for those that like music, check these two out

-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote