Poll: Did Trump do right thing by lying?
Yes.
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Trump do the right thing when he lied about the coronavirus?
(09-10-2020, 02:31 PM)Mer Wrote: Before the virus hit our nation's the economy was booming like never before, 401k's at all time highs, unemployment (especially for blacks) at all time lows, jobs (that Obama claimed you'd need a magic wand to bring back to the U.S.) increasing, and that's just to name a few. Before Trump our economy was crap. Even with Covid still going on he's getting things back to the way they were pre-covid. Like him, hate him, or whatever he's the best man to get the economy back. Especially compared to a lifetime politician who's accomplished nothing in almost 50 years of government service other than being VP during the time our economy went to crap when there was no virus like Covid.

The economy was so great that all it took was people missing one paycheck for it to fall though. Also the economy was growing before Trump took office. Also the president doesn't control the economy. This isn't the Soviet Union.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:31 PM)Mer Wrote: Before the virus hit our nation's economy was booming like never before, 401k's at all time highs, unemployment (especially for blacks) at all time lows, jobs (that Obama claimed you'd need a magic wand to bring back to the U.S.) increasing, and that's just to name a few. Before Trump our economy was crap. Even with Covid still going on he's getting things back to the way they were pre-covid. Like him, hate him, or whatever he's the best man to get the economy back. Especially compared to a lifetime politician who's accomplished nothing in almost 50 years of government service other than being VP during the time our economy went to crap when there was no virus like Covid.

Trump literally was riding the economic wave from the Obama years. He wasn't doing anything to make the economy any better. Honestly, he couldn't have because the president has very little impact on that sort of thing, but yeah. The growth pattern was quite literally just a continuation of what was happening before he was in office.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:31 PM)Mer Wrote: Before the virus hit our nation's the economy was booming like never before, 401k's at all time highs, unemployment (especially for blacks) at all time lows, jobs (that Obama claimed you'd need a magic wand to bring back to the U.S.) increasing, and that's just to name a few. Before Trump our economy was crap. Even with Covid still going on he's getting things back to the way they were pre-covid. Like him, hate him, or whatever he's the best man to get the economy back. Especially compared to a lifetime politician who's accomplished nothing in almost 50 years of government service other than being VP during the time our economy went to crap when there was no virus like Covid.

Let it be shown that no matter how awesome you are for the economy lying about something that can facilitate the death of many citizens could hurt your chance at reelection.  What a novel concept.

TRUMP 2020 - He was doing a really good job before he lied and bunch of people died. You ain't gonna see that on a flag flying from a sinking boat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Trump literally was riding the economic wave from the Obama years. He wasn't doing anything to make the economy any better. Honestly, he couldn't have because the president has very little impact on that sort of thing, but yeah. The growth pattern was quite literally just a continuation of what was happening before he was in office.

Well Trump says things are going great, and even though this thread is about whether or not it is OK that he lies to us I don't think you can blame one of his supporters who says it is OK for Trump to lie that Trump would be lying about how great everything is under his watch...right?

Man, this presidency is even crazier than I expected.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:35 PM)jason Wrote: The economy was so great that all it took was people missing one paycheck for it to fall though.

It was more than 1 person missing 1 paycheck.

(09-10-2020, 02:35 PM)jason Wrote: Also the economy was growing before Trump took office. Also the president doesn't control the economy. 

So, when Biden and his supporters blame Trump for the current state of the economy, you're going to call them out for that, right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think there's an argument to be made, but it flies out the window when he responded by calling reactions to it overblown, told the public it was no big deal as states sought to respond to it, and attacks efforts to enact basic precautions. 

There's a difference between keeping national security threats you're handling from the public and keeping information about public health a secret, especially when you need the public to cooperate to stop it.

It's also hard to suggest he's trying to prevent mass hysteria when he has a track record of lying to create fear and panic and when we didn't see mass hysteria in the nations impacted months before we were. 

This.

But I should add that there are times when national security threats, like ongoing Russian interference in US elections, should also be made public. Here again Trump has "kept the secret" as best he can to avoid the mass hysteria that might follow.

On the other hand, Trump has not been good about protecting national security when it involves keep classified information classified.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:31 PM)Mer Wrote: Before the virus hit our nation's economy was booming like never before, 401k's at all time highs, unemployment (especially for blacks) at all time lows, jobs (that Obama claimed you'd need a magic wand to bring back to the U.S.) increasing, and that's just to name a few. Before Trump our economy was crap. Even with Covid still going on he's getting things back to the way they were pre-covid. Like him, hate him, or whatever he's the best man to get the economy back. Especially compared to a lifetime politician who's accomplished nothing in almost 50 years of government service other than being VP during the time our economy went to crap when there was no virus like Covid.

Obama took over during the Great Recession and turned it around.  Trump's economy just continued on the same upward trajectory thanks to deficit spending further increasing our national debt by giving tax breaks to the wealthy. 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Trump is NOT automatically loved by Christians. I'm sure there are those that are die hard Trump supporters but not every Christian is conservative and not every conservative Christian voted for/supports Trump. If I had to guess, I'd say the majority of conservative Christians tolerate Trump.

I'd say that the majority of evangelicals actively support him, forming the core of his "base."  Fractions have steadily peeled off that base over the last two years though--Black evangelicals, some women and the "integrity" lobby (see The Spiritual Danger of Donald Trump: 30 Evangelical Christians on Justice, Truth, and Moral Integrity). He has lost a lot of the Catholic vote, for whom "all lives matter," not just the unborn, but he still gets around 80% unquestioned support from Evangelicals. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/books/review/who-is-an-evangelical-thomas-s-kidd.html
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/07/evangelical-americans-trump-supporters-progressives
https://religionnews.com/2020/08/26/why-evangelicals-will-support-donald-trump-2020-abortion-religious-freedom-borders/

[Image: webRNS-Trump-Latinos1-010320.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:32 PM)Mer Wrote: I never said otherwise.

Great, that means you agree Jesus would condemn Trump's dishonesty because it was morally the wrong thing to do.  Glad we could wrap that up in less than three pages.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Great, that means you agree Jesus would condemn Trump's dishonesty because it was morally the wrong thing to do.  Glad we could wrap that up in less than three pages.

There are six things that the LORD strongly dislikes, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Proverbs 6:16–19
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Let it be shown that no matter how awesome you are for the economy lying about something that can facilitate the death of many citizens could hurt your chance at reelection.  What a novel concept.

TRUMP 2020 - He was doing a really good job before he lied and bunch of people died.  You ain't gonna see that on a flag flying from a sinking boat.

Yeah, that's a message that probably fits on a bumper sticker better than a flag.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:03 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Obama took over during the Great Recession and turned it around.  Trump's economy just continued on the same upward trajectory thanks to deficit spending further increasing our national debt by giving tax breaks to the wealthy. 

Hate to break this to you but:
(09-10-2020, 02:35 PM)jason Wrote: the president doesn't control the economy.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There are six things that the LORD strongly dislikes, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Proverbs 6:16–19

It's not meant to be taken literally.

It's allegory.

More of a suggestion, really.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:07 PM)Dill Wrote: I'd say that the majority of evangelicals actively support him, forming the core of his "base."  Fractions have steadily peeled off that base over the last two years though--Black evangelicals, some women and the "integrity" lobby (see The Spiritual Danger of Donald Trump: 30 Evangelical Christians on Justice, Truth, and Moral Integrity). He has lost a lot of the Catholic vote, for whom "all lives matter," not just the unborn, but he still gets around 80% unquestioned support from Evangelicals. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/books/review/who-is-an-evangelical-thomas-s-kidd.html
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/07/evangelical-americans-trump-supporters-progressives
https://religionnews.com/2020/08/26/why-evangelicals-will-support-donald-trump-2020-abortion-religious-freedom-borders/

[Image: webRNS-Trump-Latinos1-010320.jpg]

I think it depends on what you mean by "actively support". I have no doubt that a majority will VOTE for him but I'm not going to debate with you on what "actively support" means. 

My point was that there's a difference between supporting/tolerating and loving him.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Hate to break this to you but:

True.

But, am I wrong for lying?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: True.

But, am I wrong for lying?

Yes.

Mellow
Reply/Quote

2020 does not count because of the pandemic, but if you compare Trumps first three years in office with the last three years of the Obama administration you will see that Obama created more jobs and grew the economy at about the same rate with about HALF OF THE DEFICIT SPENDING of Trump.

Trumps economy is built on debt.  It is like a person borrowing a million dollars and then claiming to be a millionaire.

He really did not do anything special at all for the economy.  His tariffs were such a bust that he had to get Congress to give special financial support to farmers who were damaged badly by them.  But it did not matter to him because it was just more debt he would never have to pay for.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It was more than 1 person missing 1 paycheck.

So, when Biden and his supporters blame Trump for the current state of the economy, you're going to call them out for that, right?

I know it was more than one person missing a check, but I do believe we're supposed to have are boots laced tightly and have 6 months pay put back for an "emergency". It seems people didn't have that, but the stock market and Dow were booming huh? The stock market, and Dow are not the economy.

Of course I'm not gonna call out Biden and his "supporters" when they blame Trump for anything... That asshole needs to go. His roaring economy that he built all by himself was all he had... That's why he downplayed the Rona, then rushed to reopen the economy and schools... Public health or the right thing to do be damned.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:16 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It's not meant to be taken literally.

It's allegory.

More of a suggestion, really.

With that comment you just lost all credibility. You were at least treading water before that. Oh well, there's always the next thread for you.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:52 PM)Dill Wrote: This.

But I should add that there are times when national security threats, like ongoing Russian interference in US elections, should also be made public. Here again Trump has "kept the secret" as best he can to avoid the mass hysteria that might follow.

On the other hand, Trump has not been good about protecting national security when it involves keep classified information classified.

Agreed. And there's time when physical threats are made public in the sense that wanted posted are released to try to get public tips.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote