Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did any of our coaches....
Tell Jeremy Hill to secure the ball with 2 hands on the last drive when he fumbled?

I realize this is common sense and sure they did, at least I hope they did. This is situation awareness, of which a player should know. If he was told and still didn't he is about as dumb a football player as we've ever had. If the coaches failed to reinforce this critical point they are even dumber.

Truth be told, Jeremy Hill was likely not only told by the coaches but his team mates also.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hindsight is 20/20 but I would've seriously considered letting Peerman or Burkhead run the game out. All of us knew Jeremy had trouble with fumbles this year and he was still worked up over the Gio hit.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:26 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Tell Jeremy Hill to secure the ball with 2 hands on the last drive when he fumbled?

I realize this is common sense and sure they did, at least I hope they did.  This is situation awareness, of which a player should know.  If he was told and still didn't he is about as dumb a football player as we've ever had.  If the coaches failed to reinforce this critical point they are even dumber.

Truth be told, Jeremy Hill was likely not only told by the coaches but his team mates also.

I would like to think multiple people told him "two hands on the ball" and not to fight for extra yards... don't let yourself get stood up, just go down with contact.  All they needed to do was gain some yards if possible, make the Steelers use their timeouts, take time off the clock, and kick the field goal.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:28 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Hindsight is 20/20 but I would've seriously considered letting Peerman or Burkhead run the game out. All of us knew Jeremy had trouble with fumbles this year and he was still worked up over the Gio hit.

Hill had trouble early in the season with fumbles but overall he had just 3 fumbles lost leading into the playoffs and i believe none over the last 10 games.  This also was his first fumble ever i believe with less than 2 minutes or so left in the game.. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hill had trouble early in the season with fumbles but overall he had just 3 fumbles lost leading into the playoffs and i believe none over the last 10 games.  This also was his first fumble ever i believe with less than 2 minutes or so left in the game.. 

None of that changes my opinion.
Reply/Quote
I would guess he wasn't reminded. If he was, he would have had 2 hands on the ball and just gone down at initial contact.

Marvin Lewis, rather than waste 2 timeouts as Pittsburgh is driving down the field (which probably helped Pittsburgh) should have spent 1 after Burfict's INT and said

"Under no circumstances do you give away this ball. We're going to run it and try to get a 1st down, but you secure that ball at all costs. We will eat up their 3 timeouts and kick a FG and make them go the length of the field, the only way we screw this up is with a fumble - DO NOT FUMBLE. They will be trying to strip that ball with every ounce of their being - DO NOT LET THEM."

And then after the fumble when Ben came out I would have called another timeout and said "He can't throw deep balls, keep everything underneath, tackle them in-bounds, and don't do anything stupid to giftwrap them 15-yard penalties - the refs are going to be watching you guys like hawks, just do your job and tackle their players inbounds."

I'm willing to bet that neither speech was given to the players and none of those points were reinforced.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:54 PM)BigSeph Wrote: I would guess he wasn't reminded.  If he was, he would have had 2 hands on the ball and just gone down at initial contact.

Marvin Lewis, rather than waste 2 timeouts as Pittsburgh is driving down the field (which probably helped Pittsburgh) should have spent 1 after Burfict's INT and said

"Under no circumstances do you give away this ball.  We're going to run it and try to get a 1st down, but you secure that ball at all costs.  We will eat up their 3 timeouts and kick a FG and make them go the length of the field, the only way we screw this up is with a fumble - DO NOT FUMBLE.  They will be trying to strip that ball with every ounce of their being - DO NOT LET THEM."

And then after the fumble when Ben came out I would have called another timeout and said "He can't throw deep balls, keep everything underneath, tackle them in-bounds, and don't do anything stupid to giftwrap them 15-yard penalties - the refs are going to be watching you guys like hawks, just do your job and tackle their players inbounds."

I'm willing to bet that neither speech was given to the players and none of those points were reinforced.

You're right they were probably playing Angry Birds. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 03:02 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: You're right they were probably playing Angry Birds. Rolleyes

It's clear when you watch the play - he went through the hole with one arm holding the ball.
Reply/Quote
I've always seen it as the QB's job. Grab that mutt in the huddle and tell him "DONT F THIS UP YOU MORON".
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 03:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I've always seen it as the QB's job. Grab that mutt in the huddle and tell him "DONT F THIS UP YOU MORON".

I played center for years and none of our QBs ever said that.  I do remember the coaches taking timeouts in similar situations, telling the offense to gather 'round and threatening physical violence if anybody put the ball on the ground and gave away the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 03:28 PM)BigSeph Wrote: I played center for years and none of our QBs ever said that.  I do remember the coaches taking timeouts in similar situations, telling the offense to gather 'round and threatening physical violence if anybody put the ball on the ground and gave away the game.

How many of your QBs went on to the NFL?

It doesn't matter. Both coaches and team leaders should be emphasizing this to Hill.

Whitworth maybe should have said something. IDK, maybe they thought they would jinx him.

They were probably preoccupied with the thought that Vontaze just won the game... OH WHOOPS
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 03:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: How many of your QBs went on to the NFL?

It doesn't matter. Both coaches and team leaders should be emphasizing this to Hill.

Whitworth maybe should have said something. IDK, maybe they thought they would jinx him.

They were probably preoccupied with the thought that Vontaze just won the game... OH WHOOPS

Hell, we had a QB in high school that would say things like that in the huddle....and warn us on hard counts...etc.  He never made it past Centre College! Hilarious

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
AP fumbled in Minnesota, too.

It happens.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 04:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, we had a QB in high school that would say things like that in the huddle....and warn us on hard counts...etc.  He never made it past Centre College! Hilarious

I find it doesn't really matter and the QB says these things to calm himself down more than anything.
Reply/Quote