Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Did anyone else want to go for it in Overtime?
4th and 16, a punt guarantees a tie and most likely a loss, which is like kissing your sister, am I the only one who wanted to go for it?
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 12:54 PM)740Bengal Wrote: 4th and 16, a punt guarantees a tie,

Did I miss something? I thought we lost yesterday's game.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 12:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Did I miss something? I thought we lost yesterday's game.

"Or loss" ** 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 12:54 PM)740Bengal Wrote: 4th and 16, a punt guarantees a tie and most likely a loss, which is like kissing your sister, am I the only one who wanted to go for it?

I don't believe those two things can go together. 

Mellow

But i would not have been upset at going for it on 4th down. Who knows, maybe you get a DPI or holding. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Nope, punt was the right call. We'd already blown our chances to win it by that point, so try to take the tie over the loss as that's the better result. And we have seen ties be important in the standings in the past, so it's not like ties are meaningless.

I'm from the UK and we obviously have draws ('ties') in football ('soccer')... there can be glory and loads of excitement in a drawn game. But I get it would translate less well to the NFL, as the number of games is far fewer.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 12:54 PM)740Bengal Wrote: 4th and 16, a punt guarantees a tie and most likely a loss, which is like kissing your sister, am I the only one who wanted to go for it?

Losing the turnover battle -5 according to the stats only 1 team in the last 50 years has overcome it and we almost did. Amazing in itself. Taylor could have added that to his history of quickest franchise turnarounds
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Nobody wants to play for a tie, but we also didn't want to take a strip sack on third down. We didn't want to punt the ball with 15+ seconds on the play clock either, and an inside the 20 punt would have been nice too. Hopefully some lessons were learned Sunday.
Reply/Quote
You don't go for it with that field position and just over a minute left.

You run as much clock as you can then punt.

Bengals forgot run off clock though, which was really stupid.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 01:32 PM)motoarch Wrote: You don't go for it with that field position and just over a minute left.

Might have been smart to take that 5 yard delay of Game and hubers punt would have stayed inside the 5...   Landed perfectly but the gunner stopped looking.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 01:01 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Losing the turnover battle -5 according to the stats only 1 team in the last 50 years has overcome it and we almost did. Amazing in itself. Taylor could have added that to his history of quickest franchise turnarounds

(09-13-2022, 01:15 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Nobody wants to play for a tie, but we also didn't want to take a strip sack on third down.  We didn't want to punt the ball with 15+ seconds on the play clock either, and an inside the 20 punt would have been nice too.  Hopefully some lessons were learned Sunday.

(09-13-2022, 01:32 PM)motoarch Wrote: You don't go for it with that field position and just over a minute left.

What all of these guys said. It was the right call to Punt there. Also was amazing we almost overcame what we did.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 01:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Might have been smart to take that 5 yard delay of Game and hubers punt would have stayed inside the 5...   Landed perfectly but the gunner stopped looking.

That's what a high school coach would have done...
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I say run a fake punt, no one would of expected that IMO, sometimes you gotta let your Nu$% hang out.
Reply/Quote
The punt on 4th and 16 was the right call.

I'd question why not go for 2 if we had snapping issues at the end of regulation given overtime was in the back pocket....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Hello, McFly, are you there?
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:57 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Hello, McFly, are you there?

Hello Donkey. 
Reply/Quote

(09-13-2022, 01:56 PM)740Bengal Wrote: I say run a fake punt, no one would of expected that IMO, sometimes you gotta let your Nu$% hang out.

Did you want them to go for it, or run a fake punt?  Which is it?  Either would have been unwise in the given situation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Let me give the best hindsight answer:

What "should" have happened is:
Huber should have pulled down the bad snap on the botched FG and see if he could have done anything with it either by running or maybe passing to Evan or another designated player; I'm sure they practiced for this contingency.

IF it works, we win; if not we get another crack at the FG.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

I rather play for tie there, if we get zero yards, we give them ball like at the 50..., in that situation punt was the right call.. we actually still had a time out i believe and depending on what pitt did we could get it back
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 03:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let me give the best hindsight answer:

What "should" have happened is:
Huber should have pulled down the bad snap on the botched FG and see if he could have done anything with it either by running or maybe passing to Evan or another designated player; I'm sure they practiced for this contingency.

IF it works, we win; if not we get another crack at the FG.

No he just falls on it and try again.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

i don;t see it that way, unless im wrong we had a timeout still put it in Pittsburgh hands, we had a possibility of actually getting the ball back with a short field and a last second FG for the win.  
Reply/Quote