Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Did the Bengals get robbed?
It was a horrible call but not the primary reason they lost. I'm not going to say it wasn't a contributing factor but the Bengals shouldn't have been in that position had they done their job on offense and played some better defense early on in the drive by simply making someone other than Kupp beat you.

The reason that penalty on Wilson hurts so bad is due to the timing. The refs kept the flags in their pockets the entire game until then which is certainly curious. Zac made some bad play calls last night but he did for a lot of the postseason if I'm being honest. He's growing and learning along with his young team....it's just part of the process and all we can hope is that the Bengals can get back to the Super Bowl (and I think they will) and win next time. The Bengals can basically keep this exact team together for the next two years very easily if they want but they need to upgrade the o-line obviously and get another CB.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I disagree with this. A missed call on a play at the start of the 2nd half is way less egregious than a terrible call on a picture perfect textbook coverage in the final 2 minutes.

I feel really bad for Logan Wilson. He couldn’t have played that any better. I also think Tee scores even without the face mask. Or at the very least makes the catch for a huge gain. Both Tee and Chase were beating Ramsay all game.

He definitely could have played it better. Use your body and not your hands on the WR
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I disagree with this. A missed call on a play at the start of the 2nd half is way less egregious than a terrible call on a picture perfect textbook coverage in the final 2 minutes.

I feel really bad for Logan Wilson. He couldn’t have played that any better. I also think Tee scores even without the face mask. Or at the very least makes the catch for a huge gain. Both Tee and Chase were beating Ramsay all game.

Disagree with what? I was talking about the Ramsey and Higgins no-calls canceling each other out.

I've said the Wilson call was embarrassingly bad. I would love to hear the NFL's explanation on that one.
Reply/Quote
My feeling is this; if the Bengals offensive line blocked better, any of these so-called egregious calls would not have mattered.

Let's not overlook the fact that the #1 culprit in this loss is the Offensive line.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of comments from both commentators and players that the calls at the end were bogus:

Skip Bayless
@RealSkipBayless
If the ref doesn't call that bogus defensive hold near the goal line on a pass that was batted down, the Rams lose. Simple as that. All-time home cooking. Hollywood wins again.
10:07 PM · Feb 13, 2022

nascarcasm@nascarcasmI was digging this game then the refs started using flags like unused vacation days at the end of the year. #SuperBowl

Michael Hurley@michaelFhurleyThe defensive holding penalty against Cincinnati never should have happened anyway because the officials didn’t call an obvious false start on the entire offensive line.

Mitchell Schwartz
@MitchSchwartz71
3rd down they missed a false start. The entire OL moved but the Center snapped it late

Tyler Boyd
Boyd took a subtle dig at reporters during his post-game presser, pointing out the lack of penalty calls until late in the game – when it mattered most.

"At the end of the day, that's not my job to speak on it, but, I mean, I'm hurt about it. They weren't throwing flags the whole game," he said. "They should've just let it play out how they were doing the whole game. But, I mean, it's a lot of pressure going on when [the game] is about to be over. It is what it is."
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals were also down a playmaker in the game.
Technically Uzomah was active, but he only had 2 rec for 11 yards. With Chase and Higgins occupying a ton of attention outside and deep, Boyd and Uzomah should have been able to step up more.
Aside from Higgins's and Chase's two big plays (75 yards and 46 yards, respectively), the passing game was not working well at all.

What was nice to see was Mixon averaging 4.8 YPC. Not really sure about the Perine carries. Dude had two carries and got 0 yards. Not sure why Bengals didn't put Mixon out there instead. Chris Evans was also a nonfactor. Mixon in the passing game was not good.

Boyd having his only drop of the season on a crucial 3rd down in the SB was tough. But Joe had zero time. 

Not sure we are so terrible with acquiring oline.  We have 2 1st round busts and below average free agents. We have drafted ONE solid oline starter the last 10 years.

Time to get an oline scout, get Mike Brown out of any player decisions (if he truly forced the Carmen pick not sure how I handle that).

Prioritize spending based upon protecting Joe - skilled players based upon production.
Reply/Quote
It's tough. There was a lot of holding both ways. The Higgins facemask for a 75 yard score. It's hard to say.

I actually prefer when the refs let them play.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:57 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Was a terrible call. Interesting that the NFL came out and said they reviewed Higgins td and said they agreed with the no call but didn't say anything about Logan Wilson penalty on 3rd down. Would have been 4th sigh.. I'm not sure the mental gymnastics needed to explain how that didn't change the outcome of the game which should never happen. NFL referees are some of the worst in professional sports.

They are probably good, though,  at their jobs at being lawyers, plumbers, etc... 
Reply/Quote
Let's try this.

Take away the Higgins touchdown because of the uncalled facemask.
Take away the Kupp touchdown because of the ticky-tack penalties.

16-13. Rams still win.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:31 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Let's try this.

16-13.  Rams still win.

Yep. And we had opportunities. OBJ our. Robert Woods out. Higbee out.

We had the lead late.

We ran the ball well, but didn't try it enough.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: There are a lot of comments from both commentators and players that the calls at the end were bogus:

Skip Bayless
@RealSkipBayless
If the ref doesn't call that bogus defensive hold near the goal line on a pass that was batted down, the Rams lose. Simple as that. All-time home cooking. Hollywood wins again.
10:07 PM · Feb 13, 2022

nascarcasm@nascarcasmI was digging this game then the refs started using flags like unused vacation days at the end of the year. #SuperBowl

Michael Hurley@michaelFhurleyThe defensive holding penalty against Cincinnati never should have happened anyway because the officials didn’t call an obvious false start on the entire offensive line.

Mitchell Schwartz
@MitchSchwartz71
3rd down they missed a false start. The entire OL moved but the Center snapped it late

Tyler Boyd
Boyd took a subtle dig at reporters during his post-game presser, pointing out the lack of penalty calls until late in the game – when it mattered most.

"At the end of the day, that's not my job to speak on it, but, I mean, I'm hurt about it. They weren't throwing flags the whole game," he said. "They should've just let it play out how they were doing the whole game. But, I mean, it's a lot of pressure going on when [the game] is about to be over. It is what it is."

Mike Pereia, former VP of Officiating, came out and said Wilson shouldn't have been flagged.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mike Pereia, former VP of Officiating, came out and said Wilson shouldn't have been flagged.

Wow. So it really was home cooking. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Boyd having his only drop of the season on a crucial 3rd down in the SB was tough. But Joe had zero time. 

Not sure we are so terrible with acquiring oline.  We have 2 1st round busts and below average free agents. We have drafted ONE solid oline starter the last 10 years.

Time to get an oline scout, get Mike Brown out of any player decisions (if he truly forced the Carmen pick not sure how I handle that).

Prioritize spending based upon protecting Joe - skilled players based upon production.

Gotta say, Pollack hasn't done a good job drafting OL.
Price was a bust. 
Rod Taylor amounted to nothing.
Carman they didn't trust enough to put out there over a 5th round draft pick in his 2nd year.
Smith saw basically no playing time and is still under 300 lbs.

Hard to have confidence in his ability to scout.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Gotta say, Pollack hasn't done a good job drafting OL.
Price was a bust. 
Rod Taylor amounted to nothing.
Carman they didn't trust enough to put out there over a 5th round draft pick in his 2nd year.
Smith saw basically no playing time and is still under 300 lbs.

Hard to have confidence in his ability to scout.

True, but we only have 6 scouts when others have 20 - let coaches coach and provide input, but we desperately need better and more oline scouts.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And we had opportunities. OBJ our. Robert Woods out. Higbee out.

We had the lead late.

We ran the ball well, but didn't try it enough.

If the o-line could've been even semi-competent, the Bengals are SB champions right now. The amount of pressure they allowed in the 2nd half was insane, ending up at 42.5% for the game.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Disagree with what? I was talking about the Ramsey and Higgins no-calls canceling each other out.

I've said the Wilson call was embarrassingly bad. I would love to hear the NFL's explanation on that one.

I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying we shouldn’t complain about the Wilson call because of the Tee non-call.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:28 PM)Tony Wrote: I was blaming the Oline and Apple and I still do, but all you gotta do is turn the TV on and they are saying The Benglas got ****** on that Logan interference, rams false starting and Ramsey holding all game..  it don't make the loss easier to swallow....

The reason I joined this board is to concur that the defensive holding call at the end was a really bad call that never should have happened, plus it looks like there was a false start on the Rams’ offense as well.  We have seen robbery by the refs/NFL in the NFCCG a few years ago against these very same Rams.  I like to think of it as “manipulation” rather than robbery, fixed, rigged, scripted, etc.  And what I mean by that is that the refs can “manipulate” a game at any point, but critically at the end, that would strongly tend to lead to a certain outcome or not.  In this case, if that holding doesn’t get called, it is 4th and goal for the Rams very late in the game.  If they convert, great, they probably win it fair and square.  If they don’t convert, it is almost 100% guaranteed that they lose that game.  Well, the refs made sure that they did not have to face that and that y’all did on your last possession.  I’m sorry.  We are sorry for y’all.  Y’all had a lot of fans in Louisiana for this run.  We love Burreaux and Chase.  Chase went to Rummel High School right up the street from my Dad’s house.  I have been reading about him since he was 14-15.  I’m hoping y’all make another run next year.

Who Dat! Wink 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:28 PM)Tony Wrote: I was blaming the Oline and Apple and I still do, but all you gotta do is turn the TV on and they are saying The Benglas got ****** on that Logan interference, rams false starting and Ramsey holding all game..  it don't make the loss easier to swallow....

Bengals don't even score the TD after halftime if the refs get the call right.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying we shouldn’t complain about the Wilson call because of the Tee non-call.

No, there's definitely reason to complain about the Wilson call, especially when former officials are coming out and saying there should have been no flag...including the former VP of Officiating.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:31 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Let's try this.

16-13.  Rams still win.

Except the NFL said they reviewed that play and there  wasn't a facemask. 
Reply/Quote