Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Security Levels In Schools!
The security differences in schools is hilarious.

Once, I was presenting at a school that I had presented at for years and there was a 45 minute break for lunch. My friend dropped me off and said “I don’t want to drive back over here” and asked if I was cool to stay, so I said yes because I was good friends with the teacher.

The teacher had another class at lunch and then flipped out when I was staying in the room by myself during the break. I didn’t understand it because they knew I was no threat but, with security these days and gunmen, I just said ok.

Even when I was waiting for my ride at the end of the day, the teacher wouldn’t let me be alone for three minutes.

Fast forward to today (and it has happened at other schools), I presented to two classes and now there’s a two-and-a-half hour break that they didn’t tell me about.

The teacher says “I have a class for the next two hours, so roll around and do whatever.”

I’m just like “WHAT?!”

She leaves and now I’m sitting here waiting for two hours until I present again.

Just funny how some places are completely fine with people being in their school and then other places act like Ft Knox!
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 11:18 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: The security differences in schools is hilarious.

Once, I was presenting at a school that I had presented at for years and there was a 45 minute break for lunch. My friend dropped me off and said “I don’t want to drive back over here” and asked if I was cool to stay, so I said yes because I was good friends with the teacher.

The teacher had another class at lunch and then flipped out when I was staying in the room by myself during the break. I didn’t understand it because they knew I was no threat but, with security these days and gunmen, I just said ok.

Even when I was waiting for my ride at the end of the day, the teacher wouldn’t let me be alone for three minutes.

Fast forward to today (and it has happened at other schools), I presented to two classes and now there’s a two-and-a-half hour break that they didn’t tell me about.

The teacher says “I have a class for the next two hours, so roll around and do whatever.”

I’m just like “WHAT?!”

She leaves and now I’m sitting here waiting for two hours until I present again.

Just funny how some places are completely fine with people being in their school and then other places act like Ft Knox!

Times have changed. I grew up and have since moved back to CT. I remember being able to just walk into my high school to visit old teachers. The other week I had a meeting with my kid's teacher and had to go through just about as much security as when I forget my badge and have to use the public entrance to a courthouse here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 11:41 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Times have changed. I grew up and have since moved back to CT. I remember being able to just walk into my high school to visit old teachers. The other week I had a meeting with my kid's teacher and had to go through just about as much security as when I forget my badge and have to use the public entrance to a courthouse here.

Exactly what I was thinking.

We’d always just walk into our grade school or high school after we graduated.

Some schools I don’t even have to check in at the office or anything but other schools have locked doors where you need a key card or have to use the intercom to tell them why you’re there before they even let you into the office.

In this high school, I got lost when I went to the bathroom (I wasn’t paying attention and the room is kind of hidden), so I was just rolling the halls and teachers (that had never seen me before) were just waving like it was normal.
Reply/Quote
Most of the schools around my neck of the woods look like maximum security prisons with chain link fencing surrounding everything in multiple layers. The only fence I remember in school was the baseball field backstop.. I had to go pick up one of my wifes grandson a few years back and felt like public enemy number one when I stepped in the door.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Likely depends on the area... I grew up in a small town and could access my high school gym late at night.

Rural Kentucky is a bit safer than the big cities however.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 10:11 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Likely depends on the area... I grew up in a small town and could access my high school gym late at night.

Dark alleyways are the safest place to hang out.  There's no money in dark alleyways..Might run across a stray rat or two, but the real thugs are working in banks and city council meetings..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 10:11 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Likely depends on the area... I grew up in a small town and could access my high school gym late at night.

Both these schools were actually in Cincinnati and the one that let me roll around and do whatever was a public school in a rough area and then the other was a private school in a not so bad area.
Reply/Quote