Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diggin' me some Ben Sasse
I like this fellow.

The first 6 minutes sounded like a PoliSci 100 paper. Tell these Senators something they don't know.

From 6:00 onward, his rhetoric is just your run of the mill criticism of "judicial activism" which is just a fancy partisan term for "judges deciding against my ideology". Our current court is "less activist" than any in the last 60 years, despite what RBG said a few years ago. It doesn't overturn legislation as much as previous courts. This power is also one implied by the writer of the Constitution and affirmed very early on in our history.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-14-2017, 09:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The first 6 minutes sounded like a PoliSci 100 paper. Tell these Senators something they don't know.

From 6:00 onward, his rhetoric is just your run of the mill criticism of "judicial activism" which is just a fancy partisan term for "judges deciding against my ideology". Our current court is "less activist" than any in the last 60 years, despite what RBG said a few years ago. It doesn't overturn legislation as much as previous courts. This power is also one implied by the writer of the Constitution and affirmed very early on in our history.

I guess he felt they needed reminded.
Tongue

I appreciate the input.
As I've stated before, I'm a terrible rookie in politics, but I'm always willing to listen and learn.
I'm guessing Sasse was grand-standing for the likes of me.
I still like the guy.
He's great on Twitter.
Smirk
(03-14-2017, 08:27 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I like this fellow.

I've seen several promising items regarding him. He's an example of why I always listen to a politician and/or read their positions before forming an opinion. While most elected Republican officials are deplorable people they aren't all. Hopefully Sasse will not lose his integrity. Hanging onto it is easier said than done, as is well documented (for just one of many examples of why check out an old Alan Alda movie called The Seduction of Joe Tynan.)
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(03-14-2017, 09:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The first 6 minutes sounded like a PoliSci 100 paper. Tell these Senators something they don't know.

I didn't watch the video but when it comes to judicial activism, I don't think people have an issue with courts overturning legislation (I mean, sure, they might be upset if a court overturned legislation they liked/wanted, but they accept that it's within the courts purview), but rather legislating from the bench. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
(03-15-2017, 12:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I didn't watch the video but when it comes to judicial activism, I don't think people have an issue with courts overturning legislation (I mean, sure, they might be upset if a court overturned legislation they liked/wanted, but they accept that it's within the courts purview), but rather legislating from the bench. 

but that's the most common way you "legislate from the bench". You state that a law is unconstitutional and set new policy. I think it's just a partisan claim from the side that lost the decision.

*BUMP*
For some 2nd Amendment Love !

https://m.facebook.com/RepThomasMassie/posts/1522311817792977

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(03-18-2017, 10:17 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: *BUMP*
For some 2nd Amendment Love !

https://m.facebook.com/RepThomasMassie/posts/1522311817792977

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

What the hell is he talking about? I am not aware of such an administrative regulation - and Congress doesn't vote on administrative regulations does it? It seems if millions of Americans had their gun rights stolen by a Kenyan Muslim in the middle of the night this would not be the first we heard of it. I think this is either A) total b.s. or B) 99% b.s. designed to gin up hatred of Kenyan Muslims (or at least one of them) by being dishonest about what a regulation actually did and did not do. Feel free to provide more background on the facebook rant that proves me wrong.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-12-19/pdf/2016-30407.pdf
(03-14-2017, 10:31 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I guess he felt they needed reminded.
Tongue

Truth. And it is a bipartisan reminder. He absolutely calls out the Democrats at the beginning when he says they had forgotten. 

OTOH, I can see an argument made for governance needing to be efficacious and also that obviously the popular sentiment can at times still be the wrong sentiment (slavery) so empowering the people too much can have pitfalls. 

the "I just won 5 bucks" bit was funny

So I've unfortunately just learned about this Mike Cernovich guy.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/12/how-mike-cernovich-is-pizzagating-his-latest-victim.html

And he attacked this Sasse guy too with an allegation.

Just thought I'd throw it in since this the  only place I've heard Sasse mentioned.

FWIW Cernovich sound like the kind of guy who reeks of vinegar and would happily be here telling us how men are mistreated and white need more of their rights protected.  So I don't buy his allegations at all.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-29-2017, 12:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: So I've unfortunately just learned about this Mike Cernovich guy.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/12/how-mike-cernovich-is-pizzagating-his-latest-victim.html

Just thought I'd throw it in since this the  only place I've heard Sasse mentioned.

FWIW Cernovich sound like the kind of guy who reeks of vinegar and would happily be here telling us how men are mistreated and white need more of their rights protected.  So I don't buy his allegations at all.

lol, Chris Kluwe is being accused too. 

(04-29-2017, 12:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: So I've unfortunately just learned about this Mike Cernovich guy.

I'll check it out, after I see how this Mark Wicks does on his debate.
I hope he does well.
I really do not know much about the guy, but wanted to fight for him to have his voice.