Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directional Blocking: First Time Since 2015
Joe Mixon had an amazing game today against the Cleveland Browns. Like many of you, I tend to place a mental asterisk next to any statistics associated with the Bengals against Cleveland because, well, um, because the Browns are really really bad. But, and please hear me out, there’s something encouraging we can take from this game:

The offensive line had their best run blocking game since 2015. Joe Mixon always had the moves and the speed but without holes open in front of him, neither moves nor speed matter. Today there were YUGE holes available in every gap and here’s why: The Cincinnati Bengals used pure directional run blocking for the first time since 2015! The scheme totally changed in a week and that is an impressive feat. I saw pulling guards, a center who pushed the defensive tackle this way or that way, depending on the play, and I even saw some nice edge sealing blocks from Cedric Ogbuehi and Andre Smith. I also saw some interesting tight end sets where Tyler Kroft sealed the edge.

This is most encouraging but there’s a caution because directional blocking assignments against a 4-3 defense Cleveland runs are different than directional blocking assignments against the 3-4 defense Pittsburgh runs. Against a 4-3, primary blocks are executed against the defensive linemen while against a 3-4, primary blocks will necessarily be executed against linebackers too — and you don’t know which gaps they’ll shoot.

Directional blocking is how Paul Brown taught the Browns in Cleveland and how Vince Lombardi taught the Packers in Green Bay. It’s also what the current Steelers, Eagles, and Patriots use — and it works.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
People seem to forget we played the Browns earlier this year and ran for only 45 yards on 17 carries.

Mixon in 1st Browns game:  17 carries for 29 yards (1.71 YPC)
Mixon in 2nd Browns game: 23 carries for 114 yards (5.00 YPC)

So yeah...this lends credence to what you're saying. Maybe this change in run scheme will lead to big things from here out.

Main question is "why did it take this long"? But I'm happy they've changed something.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People seem to forget we played the Browns earlier this year and ran for only 45 yards on 17 carries.

So yeah...this lends credence to what you're saying. Maybe this change in run scheme will lead to big things from here out.

Main question is "why did it take this long"? But I'm happy they've changed something.

I'm going to assume it's because that's what Zampese wanted, and for the team to actually change from that took time for the players to learn it and the coaches comfortable running it in actual games. I hope that's what it is at least.
Reply/Quote
I sure hope they can keep it going against the Steelers next Monday Night. And figure the 3-4 out.

We beat the Steelers on Monday night Sept. 16th 2013 Final Score 20 - 10. In that game we outgained the Steelers on the ground 137 yards to 44, and had a rushing TD.

If we're to have any chance of beating them we have to have success running the ball. They're going to tee off on Dalton again if we're constantly in 3rd and long.
Reply/Quote
Seriously...the Steelers game will be the barometer.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:33 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'm going to assume it's because that's what Zampese wanted, and for the team to actually change to that took time for the players to learn it and the coaches comfortable running it in actual games. I hope that's what it is at least.

That’s probably as good a reason as any I’ve heard. Paul Alexander knows how to teach directional blocking because the Bengals did it a lot from 2003-06, exclusively in 2009, and predominately in 2011-15.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So yeah...this lends credence to what you're saying. Maybe this change in run scheme will lead to big things from here out.

It could. Could also be that the Browns having won no games, are dead inside. Probably a little of both.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Mixon had an amazing game today against the Cleveland Browns.  Like many of you, I tend to place a mental asterisk next to any statistics associated with the Bengals against Cleveland because, well, um, because the Browns are really really bad.  But, and please hear me out, there’s something encouraging we can take from this game:

The offensive line had their best run blocking game since 2015.  Joe Mixon always had the moves and the speed but without holes open in front of him, neither moves nor speed matter.  Today there were YUGE holes available in every gap and here’s why:  The Cincinnati Bengals used pure directional run blocking for the first time since 2015!  The scheme totally changed in a week and that is an impressive feat.  I saw pulling guards, a center who pushed the defensive tackle this way or that way, depending on the play, and I even saw some nice edge sealing blocks from Cedric Ogbuehi and Andre Smith.  I also saw some interesting tight end sets where Tyler Kroft sealed the edge.

This is most encouraging but there’s a caution because directional blocking assignments against a 4-3 defense Cleveland runs are different than directional blocking assignments against the 3-4 defense Pittsburgh runs.  Against a 4-3, primary blocks are executed against the defensive linemen while against a 3-4, primary blocks will necessarily be executed against linebackers too — and you don’t know which gaps they’ll shoot.

Directional blocking is how Paul Brown taught the Browns in Cleveland and how Vince Lombardi taught the Packers in Green Bay.  It’s also what the current Steelers, Eagles, and Patriots use — and it works.

......and don't forget a lot of 89 back there as well.

I noticed all of what you're saying as well.  That didn't look like the same team out there yesterday.  I mean, like, "changed the personnel, scheme, and staff in a week" different team.  Who are these guys?  What have they done with Piano Man? Hmm

As Shake noted, we didn't run very well against them the first meeting, and the Brownies are not complete garbage on defense.  In fact, they're downright decent.  The Bengals haven't been able to run on bad run defenses this season.  Here's to hoping they keep this up, because the play fake was there all day as a result of the run game, and helped the pass pro out quite a bit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People seem to forget we played the Browns earlier this year and ran for only 45 yards on 17 carries.

dispite being 0-11 browns have been in almost every game... (except the 2 vs us)   and had the 6th best rushing defense...

They probly didn't go out of their way to stop the run but focused on the passing game.. (cause really who would have thought we could run the ball)
Reply/Quote
This is definately the most important thing to take away from this game.

O-lineman like to block aggressively and it showed in this game. This is the way this team should play week in and week out.

Aggressive directional blocking. This will help the entire team more than anything.

Hope to see lots of this against the Steelers. This is encouraging.

But like i said in the Mixon thread. Marv and PA need to be gone after this season no matter what man.

I don't care if we make the Playoffs and win, need to move on.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 05:07 AM)Utts Wrote: It could. Could also be that the Browns having won no games, are dead inside. Probably a little of both.

Maybe so. I'm keeping an open mind either way. Could be a positive sign, could be a fluke. 

If I were gambling, I'd bet the Steelers shut our run game down and take it away fairly early.

(11-27-2017, 11:28 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: dispite being 0-11 browns have been in almost every game... (except the 2 vs us)   and had the 6th best rushing defense...

They probly didn't go out of their way to stop the run but focused on the passing game.. (cause really who would have thought we could run the ball)

Yeah, but I'd say teams have been doing that to us all year long, yet we still haven't been able to run. 

So it's still promising to see any sign of life from the run game. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 02:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe so. I'm keeping an open mind either way. Could be a positive sign, could be a fluke. 

If I were gambling, I'd bet the Steelers shut our run game down and take it away fairly early.

Yeah, but I'd say teams have been doing that to us all year long, yet we still haven't been able to run. 

So it's still promising to see any sign of life from the run game. 

The Steelers will double and sometimes triple Green to take that away.

Having Boyd back opens up our passing game too. I think that helps our run atleast some.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is definately the most important thing to take away from this game.

O-lineman like to block aggressively and it showed in this game. This is the way this team should play week in and week out.

Aggressive directional blocking. This will help the entire team more than anything.

Hope to see lots of this against the Steelers. This is encouraging.

But like i said in the Mixon thread. Marv and PA need to be gone after this season no matter what man.

I don't care if we make the Playoffs and win, need to move on.

Directional blocking against a 3-4 is either easier or harder, depending on the quality of the 3-4. A 3-4 with slow linebackers is easy pickings, so to speak, but that is NOT the case with the Steelers. They run the most aggressive 3-4 in the league so it takes some cunning and smarts to directionally block against them. Here’s why:

Mentally place the Cincinnati offensive line plus a tight end on the field. Now mentally place the three Pittsburgh linemen opposite them. It’s a six to three advantage, right? WRONG! The three defensive linemen can line up in any of the gaps or directly opposite an offensive lineman or even half and half. This is where we get “one technique, three technique, etc.” The gaps are larger in a 3-4 defense but that only makes it easier for linebackers to shoot the gaps, the defensive linemen to move laterally, and for the defensive linemen and linebackers to run stunts. Now it’s really six offensive linemen against SEVEN Steelers and you don’t know who is moving where until the ball is snapped.

An offensive line has to directionally block even more aggressively — and faster — against a 3-4 defense because the holes close faster as linebackers shoot those gaps. I’m not a fan of the 3-4 against the pass but against the run it can be very effective indeed. In fact, play action against a 3-4 is easier than against a 4-3 because there will nearly always be room behind the linebackers who are shooting gaps in the defensive line.

Tyler Kroft and Joe Mixon should have career days out of the backfield against the Steelers if the Bengals block correctly. Then when the Steelers start anticipating this and drop two or more linebackers into coverage, then you run Joe and Giovani Bernard right through the A-gap.
Reply/Quote

We're happy that we wait until they are essentially eliminated from the playoffs to adapt?  I know that isn't what you meant, but it just pisses me off even more.  I have said forever that the players have the talent.  They didn't forget how to play, the Bengals just lost all of their quality coaches and the crap that was left is exposed for what they are.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......and don't forget a lot of 89 back there as well.

I noticed all of what you're saying as well.  That didn't look like the same team out there yesterday.  I mean, like, "changed the personnel, scheme, and staff in a week" different team.  Who are these guys?  What have they done with Piano Man? Hmm

As Shake noted, we didn't run very well against them the first meeting, and the Brownies are not complete garbage on defense.  In fact, they're downright decent.  The Bengals haven't been able to run on bad run defenses this season.  Here's to hoping they keep this up, because the play fake was there all day as a result of the run game, and helped the pass pro out quite a bit.

I am going to say Sam Wyche, there to be honored at halftime as a part of the Top 50, probably gave the coaches some free advice... Cool
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 03:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am going to say Sam Wyche, there to be honored at halftime as a part of the Top 50, probably gave the coaches some free advice... Cool

So, I gotta ask, did Coach get a good ovation?  I haven't seen anything on TV about it.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 04:45 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: So, I gotta ask, did Coach get a good ovation?  I haven't seen anything on TV about it.

Absolutely! Also, CBS led off the broadcast with Sam Wyche’s famous “You don’t live in Cleveland. You live in Cincinnati!” speech.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 04:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Absolutely! Also, CBS led off the broadcast with Sam Wyche’s famous “You don’t live in Cleveland.  You live in Cincinnati!” speech.

I saw that on the broadcast, but was curious about the halftime festivities.  Thanks.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 02:49 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Directional blocking against a 3-4 is either easier or harder, depending on the quality of the 3-4.  A 3-4 with slow linebackers is easy pickings, so to speak, but that is NOT the case with the Steelers.  They run the most aggressive 3-4 in the league so it takes some cunning and smarts to directionally block against them.  Here’s why:

Mentally place the Cincinnati offensive line plus a tight end on the field.  Now mentally place the three Pittsburgh linemen opposite them.  It’s a six to three advantage, right?  WRONG!  The three defensive linemen can line up in any of the gaps or directly opposite an offensive lineman or even half and half.  This is where we get “one technique, three technique, etc.” The gaps are larger in a 3-4 defense but that only makes it easier for linebackers to shoot the gaps, the defensive linemen to move laterally, and for the defensive linemen and linebackers to run stunts.  Now it’s really six offensive linemen against SEVEN Steelers and you don’t know who is moving where until the ball is snapped.

An offensive line has to directionally block even more aggressively — and faster — against a 3-4 defense because the holes close faster as linebackers shoot those gaps.  I’m not a fan of the 3-4 against the pass but against the run it can be very effective indeed.  In fact, play action against a 3-4 is easier than against a 4-3 because there will nearly always be room behind the linebackers who are shooting gaps in the defensive line.  

Tyler Kroft and Joe Mixon should have career days out of the backfield against the Steelers if the Bengals block correctly.  Then when the Steelers start anticipating this and drop two or more linebackers into coverage, then you run Joe and Giovani Bernard right through the A-gap.

It is definately different going against a 3-4 that is for sure. I think we need to use Hewitt a lot in this one hammering
Shazier and company. If Hewitt can get his helmet on him he can move him. Shazier takes bad angles lots and this could
bite them in the ass with Mixon finally getting hot and Gio playing well behind this directional blocking scheme.

Then go play action like you said. Hundley played well against the Steelers last night.

Our coach is my main concern, damn Steeler fan anyway. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 04:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: So, I gotta ask, did Coach get a good ovation?  I haven't seen anything on TV about it.

Absolutely.  He was the final individual announced.  Right after Tim Krumrie.  It was probably as loud as that stadium got the entire day.
Reply/Quote