Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discord Server?
Would people be interested in having a Discord server? It'd provide a great opportunity to vocally talk to each other, there could be virtual draft parties via streaming, easier way to host the board mock draft, etc.
And it's free lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 09:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Would people be interested in having a Discord server? It'd provide a great opportunity to vocally talk to each other, there could be virtual draft parties via streaming, easier way to host the board mock draft, etc.
And it's free lol.

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
https://discord.gg/wPF5Me

This server is about 3 months old pretty good Bengals talk.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 09:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Would people be interested in having a Discord server? It'd provide a great opportunity to vocally talk to each other, there could be virtual draft parties via streaming, easier way to host the board mock draft, etc.
And it's free lol.

Sounds nice, but could also come with some downside to it.  For example, about 30 of my relatives held a zoom mini-family reunion, a few weeks ago.  The first 20 minutes was everyone trying to talk over one another, then the elders each took a lengthy turn at bloviating for a while..  Younger cousins and such started tuning out after about 30-40 minutes.

So, for it to work well;  Standards and rules of order would have to be established and everyone agree to adhere to them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 01:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sounds nice, but could also come with some downside to it.  For example, about 30 of my relatives held a zoom mini-family reunion, a few weeks ago.  The first 20 minutes was everyone trying to talk over one another, then the elders each took a lengthy turn at bloviating for a while..  Younger cousins and such started tuning out after about 30-40 minutes.

So, for it to work well;  Standards and rules of order would have to be established and everyone agree to adhere to them.

Admins can force mute everyone, enable push-to-talk, and many other options. Discord is way better than Zoom.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 02:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Admins can force mute everyone, enable push-to-talk, and many other options. Discord is way better than Zoom.

That nice to know.  I would be willing to give it a shot.  Maybe give it a trial run for fantasy draft?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 02:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That nice to know.  I would be willing to give it a shot.  Maybe give it a trial run for fantasy draft?

I can start a Discord server for the board but I figured an actual admin would be more appropriate lol.
https://discordapp.com/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 05:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can start a Discord server for the board but I figured an actual admin would be more appropriate lol.
https://discordapp.com/

IMO, having a Discord server would only make sense, or be beneficial, if we weren't a message board --- dependent on users posting and interacting here as often as possible.

Of course, anyone is free to start a Bengals Discord, but I would rather it not be associated with The Bengals Board itself.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 09:13 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IMO, having a Discord server would only make sense if we weren't a message board --- dependent on members posting and interacting here.

Of course, anyone is free to start a Bengals Discord, but I would rather it not be associated with The Bengals Board itself.

I guess I don't see it that way.
A message board allows many topics to be posted in an organized fashion.
Discord doesn't really allow that unless you made a separate chat channel for each topic.
I could see a blend of both being used to fuel an all-encompassing Bengals Board experience.

The idea was to give ability to do voice and also share screen when we do things like board mocks. But I understand your POV.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 09:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I guess I don't see it that way.
A message board allows many topics to be posted in an organized fashion.
Discord doesn't really allow that unless you made a separate chat channel for each topic.
I could see a blend of both being used to fuel an all-encompassing Bengals Board experience.

The idea was to give ability to do voice and also share screen when we do things like board mocks. But I understand your POV.

While I'm not interested in a Discord server for the board, the idea of something like an official board podcast has been brought up in the past by some members That's something that could be posted on the board once recorded and put up for discussion. I think that could be beneficial and and interesting. I would support/help anyone that wants to put something like that together. 
Reply/Quote
I am open for anything that makes one event type of things like the board mock easier. It’s fun, but a pain in the ass to do the way it’s done.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 10:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I am open for anything that makes one event type of things like the board mock easier.  It’s fun, but a pain in the ass to do the way it’s done.  

Exactly.

Things I think would be great for something like this:
- board mock draft
- board fantasy football draft
- virtual draft party during the NFL draft
- alternative to Game Day thread (since it's like impossible to keep up with the game day thread)

Holic's idea for someone to do a podcast is also cool.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote