Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing Joe Mixon (going forward)
I think this belongs here.....

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2017/05/01/say-name-amelia-molitor/101179218/

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Joe Mixon is a polarizing figure, and not just on this board or among the Bengal fan base, but in practically every discussion that occurs about him across the country. The 'incident' that occurred with him and the young lady centers around a topic - violence towards women - which has become more prominent in the public conversation over the last few years, and which often generates a lot of emotion on all sides.

No matter what anyone thinks of Mixon, or what he did in the past, the fact is that he's a Bengal now - whether you love it, hate it or are completely indifferent about it. This board is going to have to find a way to deal with that without being at each others throats for the next few years. 

Personally, I'm not a Mixon fan and didn't want him on the team. I expressed my feelings about that prior to the draft. However, the reality is that he was drafted by the Bengals and he will be part of this team, no matter my personal feelings about it. 

When Marvin said that Mixon will be living under a microscope, I think he was absolutely right. That actually presents a great opportunity for Mixon, IMO. If he stays out of trouble, gets involved in the community and charities, and carries himself well on and off the field...he can eventually win over a lot of people who aren't currently rooting for him and do wonders for the perception his critics have about him. I'm certainly open to changing my opinion if those things happen.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that everyone is entitled to their opinion of the kid, and what he did. Everyone also has a right to express those opinions. I just ask that going forward, the members of this board make a concerted effort to discuss Mixon - and all topics -in an adult way, without resorting to attacking each other personally. 

When it comes specifically to the moderation of this topic, or any that involves very different opinions and points of view...our goal to let everyone speak their mind. If you have something to say, stick to the subject matter (or items relevant/pertaining to the subject matter) and make your case. I realize that, in and of itself, can sometimes lead to contentious discussion, but it doesn't have to lead to attacking one another...which in turn, ends up ruining the conversation and risks getting suspended or banned. 

Yeah, nicely said Holic. This subject has gotten out of hand quite a bit and that was before we drafted him.

I am of the belief that it was a one time terribly stupid thing he done and he should be given a second chance.

I think that enough has been said about the horrible thing that he did. I am moving on to his play on the field.

On this part i am very excited and i believe he will help this team immensely.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, nicely said Holic. This subject has gotten out of hand quite a bit and that was before we drafted him.

I am of the belief that it was a one time terribly stupid thing he done and he should be given a second chance.

I think that enough has been said about the horrible thing that he did. I am moving on to his play on the field.

On this part i am very excited and i believe he will help this team immensely.

Nicely said.  However, I doubt that this topic is going to go away, no matter how long he proves himself.  What does it take?  A year, 5 years.........how long until some people are going to move on.  And if he has more issues with anger, then cut his ass.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 05:03 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Nicely said.  However, I doubt that this topic is going to go away, no matter how long he proves himself.  What does it take?  A year, 5 years.........how long until some people are going to move on.  And if he has more issues with anger, then cut his ass.

I moved on (forgave) from the horrific DUI Dunlap had within a couple of years.

We are all different, some may be sooner others later or never
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Could you guys imagine the backlash Mike Brown and the Bengals would have on their hands if this kid got in trouble while out with Pac Man. Its horrible as is but it would be running the team out of town bad. I just hope they know what their doing and have a plan in place.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 05:19 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Could you guys imagine the backlash Mike Brown and the Bengals would have on their hands if this kid got in trouble while out with Pac Man. Its horrible as is but it would be running the team out of town bad. I just hope they know what their doing and have a plan in place.

I think they should get a retired player mentor for him, like Ickey Woods.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know if Munoz has made a statement about what he thinks about the Mixon pick. You can see an expression on his face after he read the pick. Sure would like to know what he was thinking.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 08:35 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I won't comment on him anymore. I hear that the ticket person was a woman too. He revved up his car as if he was going to run over her. He obviously has built in issues. I'd say he's a good talent and I'll also say that I wish that they didn't draft him based on his anger issues, disrespect and lack of discipline. I won't change opinions of people who only want to win at any cost, regardless  and you won't change my opinion that they could have found another good talent that doesn't have these types of issues.

I would have to see more than just a media report to believe the car "revving up and inching towards her" thing.  And a lot of people get mad at college parking tickets.  It's a racket.  I have never been on a campus that has adequate parking.  That's so they can scoot around in their little go carts and charge the students even more money for parking illegally because there are intentionally not enough spaces for them to park in. I got a ticket once on a campus for backing into a space. Apparently you can only park in one direction. Seriously.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 05:32 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think they should get a retired player mentor for him, like Ickey Woods.

Are you friggin serious? The media freaked over him hitting a woman. Imagine what they would say with him slamming cold cuts on the ground at the grocery store with all the starving children in the world? J/K!

The kid deserves a chance of course and its slow news in the NFL right now. He's a target.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 05:32 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think they should get a retired player mentor for him, like Ickey Woods.

I dont understand why past Bengals greats aren't brought in more as assistants, coaches or mentors like you said. I'm not sure if Munoz would even be up to it but one would think they would bring someone like him in as a Oline assistant/consultant, advisor or something. Maybe the game has just evolved too much. It would be nice to have him tutor the young tackles on technic. Or all the young players coming in on how to be professionals or at least how to be a man.
Reply/Quote
Mixon will always be remembered as the OKLA RB that punched a girl in the face and broke her jaw.........period........no matter what he does in the NFL
Reply/Quote
I hope this is not the case but, do any of you think he will be playing with a target on his back? Will teams take cheap shots at him.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:01 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I hope this is not the case but, do any of you think he will be playing with a target on his back? Will teams take cheap shots at him.

cant be any worse than teams taking a shot at pacman or burfict 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 01:30 AM)magikod Wrote: cant be any worse than teams taking a shot at pacman or burfict 

I just mean, do you think players will go out of their way to try to end his career for what he did.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 05:19 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Could you guys imagine the backlash Mike Brown and the Bengals would have on their hands if this kid got in trouble while out with Pac Man. Its horrible as is but it would be running the team out of town bad. I just hope they know what their doing and have a plan in place.

Backlash only matters if the individual facing it gives a shit.  Anyone who still thinks Mike Brown has one ounce of concern for public opinion, be it from fans or from media, is insane.  He operates in his own world and doesn't really face any consequence whatsoever due to revenue sharing.  If Cincinnati gets mad at him and stops going to games, another city will build him a stadium, guaranteed.  

Mike Brown both caused and survived the lost decade.  He is 100 percent backlash-proof.  if that didn't kill him or cause him to change drastically, then nothing will.  He literally abandoned an entire generation of fans without blinking an eye. He could take a dump on Amelia Molitor's photo in the middle of Fountain Square and wipe his ass with the American flag and it wouldn't make any difference in the end. It's not a risk for him because there's no real consequence for him.

This is not a normal NFL organization. Set expectations accordingly.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 02:10 AM)samhain Wrote: Backlash only matters if the individual facing it gives a shit.  Anyone who still thinks Mike Brown has one ounce of concern for public opinion, be it from fans or from media, is insane.  He operates in his own world and doesn't really face any consequence whatsoever due to revenue sharing.  If Cincinnati gets mad at him and stops going to games, another city will build him a stadium, guaranteed.  

Mike Brown both caused and survived the lost decade.  He is 100 percent backlash-proof.  if that didn't kill him or cause him to change drastically, then nothing will.  He literally abandoned an entire generation of fans without blinking an eye. He could take a dump on Amelia Molitor's photo in the middle of Fountain Square and wipe his ass with the American flag and it wouldn't make any difference in the end. It's not a risk for him because there's no real consequence for him.

This is not a normal NFL organization. Set expectations accordingly.

Well while nicknames are being handed out in another thread, I think I just found Mike Browns. Mike Teflon Brown. Seems appropriate.
Reply/Quote

As long as he doesn't pick up his eating habits...

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:01 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I hope this is not the case but, do any of you think he will be playing with a target on his back? Will teams take cheap shots at him.

Ehh tyreek hill didnt have a target on his back, neither will mixon.
Reply/Quote

I doubt it. This aint prison, and even if it was, many are there for the exact same reason but they just followed up with harsher offenses. Also, I doubt that there are many men out there on that field who hold a grudge against what he did. If you've ever been struck by a girl, you're first reaction is to defend yourself. However, most of us have the controls to refrain from any retaliation. He failed to do so. Doesn't make him a horrible person - he effed up and was unable to mentally process what he was about to do would change his/her life in a split second of rage. I'm not condoning what he did. Just saying he is human and in life we don't always make the best decisions in a split second under the control of anger.

Reply/Quote
Probably no target in the physical sense.....but you can bet your ass there will be figuratively.  His maturity and restraint will be tested....as I'm sure the trash talk will be intense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote