Poll: Anthem before all public entertainment
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displays of patriotism at public entertainment.
Should they play the national anthem and make everyone stand before movies, concerts, plays, and other forms of public entertainment?

If they started doing this would you consider it a "political" action?
Reply/Quote
I should have made an option for "stop playing the anthem before sporting events"

If they stopped playing the anthem before football games would you consider that a political move?

Would it upset you?

That might actually be the easiest answer to the problem of athletes kneeling during the anthem before games.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I should have made an option for "stop playing the anthem before sporting events"

If they stopped playing the anthem before football games would you consider that a political move?

Would it upset you?

That might actually be the easiest answer to the problem of athletes kneeling during the anthem before games.

I don't know if that would "bother me" if they stopped as much as I've never known anything else so it would seem odd.

Also would almost completely eliminate the number of times I hear the National Anthem in my life.  Where else does it get played?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Should they play the national anthem and make everyone stand before movies, concerts, plays, and other forms of public entertainment?

If they started doing this would you consider it a "political" action?

I wouldn't consider it political.

I also don't really see why we need to have the anthem at sporting events.
Reply/Quote
I have been wondering for quite a few years now why the Anthem is only played before a game of football, soccer, basketball, etc. and from junior high to college to the pros.

An unpopular opinion for some I know, but I think it's silly to do so for almost every game I go to for those various sports and levels. Sure it seems appropiate for the Super Bowl, World Series, Olympics (especially the Olympics since it is the national teams & athletes), won't argue that. But at my nephews high school soccer game with 50 people there, just seemed like a forced tradition of some kind.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I wouldn't consider it political.

How are you going to convince young men to join the military and risk their lives?

Besides suppressing wages, of course.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How are you going to convince young men to join the military and risk their lives?

I hardly think the anthem is what convinces people to join the military.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 12:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I wouldn't consider it political.

I get having anthems at international matches, but the run of the mill sporting events? I'm definitely with you.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
As a Maryland native and Baltimore sports fan, I like the anthem. It's part of our state/city history. It's a tradition to yell "OOOOOOOO". I wrote all of my college papers on Fort McHenry and the Battle of Baltimore.

Should people be forced to stand, though? No.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I can actually imagine explaining to some kid decades from now that in my day we used to play the national anthem before sporting events and getting the same confused "why?" response I gave my grandfather when I was a kid and he told me that in his day being left handed was wrong and people of different races weren't supposed to interact with each other.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I hardly think the anthem is what convinces people to join the military.

Do you think I was born a patriot?  No, it was instilled in me.

Do you think people born in Moscow are upset Kaepernick kneels during our national anthem?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Do you think I was born a patriot?  No, it was instilled in me.

You actually enlisted in the Armed Forces because of the National Anthem? Ok. 

(09-10-2020, 02:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Do you think people born in Moscow are upset Kaepernick kneels during our national anthem?

I think most people born in Moscow don't even know who Kaepernick is.

Do you think people born in Moscow joined their military because of their national anthem too?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You actually enlisted in the Armed Forces because of the National Anthem? Ok. 

I think most people born in Moscow don't even know who Kaepernick is.

Do you think people born in Moscow joined their military because of their national anthem too?

I think both countries' societies instill patriotism via systemic nationalism over the course of their formative years into early manhood.  The national anthem is just part of a much larger whole.

How else do you think rational people became Nazis? How do you think it was reversed?

It is taught.  Conditioning like Pavlov's dogs.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think both countries' societies instill patriotism via systemic nationalism over the course of their formative years into early manhood.  The national anthem is just part of a much larger whole.

How else do you think rational people became Nazis? How do you think it was reversed?

It is taught.  Conditioning like Pavlov's dogs.

Hang on, you are talking to a Bengals fan who has Connecticut listed as his location....he may have some insight on this (says the Bengals fan from Pittsburgh).
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 02:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think both countries' societies instill patriotism via systemic nationalism over the course of their formative years into early manhood.  The national anthem is just part of a much larger whole.

So, it was MORE than just the national anthem. If there was no anthem, then people would STILL have patriotism installed in them and feel compelled to join the military?

Huh.

I wonder then why you made your comment as if it was the national anthem that was the cause of people enlisting. 

Whatever
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hang on, you are talking to a Bengals fan who has Connecticut listed as his location....he may have some insight on this (says the Bengals fan from Pittsburgh).

Thanks for pointing that out. I moved 3 years ago to the Lancaster, PA area. Going to fix it now. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Thanks for pointing that out. I moved 3 years ago to the Lancaster, PA area. Going to fix it now. ThumbsUp

I'm sure being around Philly fans is a treat.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure being around Philly fans is a treat.

There not that bad, honestly. It's the Ravens fans that are a pain in the butt (I didn't realize how close I am to Baltimore til after I got here). 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 03:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So, it was MORE than just the national anthem. If there was no anthem, then people would STILL have patriotism installed in them and feel compelled to join the military?

Huh.

I wonder then why you made your comment as if it was the national anthem that was the cause of people enlisting. 

Whatever

You're the one who suggested it was just the anthem.  I'm the one who wrote is was part of a larger whole.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:02 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How are you going to convince young men to join the military and risk their lives?

(09-10-2020, 03:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You're the one who suggested it was just the anthem.  I'm the one who wrote is was part of a larger whole.  Whatever

So you answered your own question, and the answer is "plenty of other ways"? Feel like you could have saved yourself some time and just posted "it wouldn't change much".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote