Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
"Diversity is not our strength": Cincy's own Ramaswamy 2024!
So he's a really rich Neville Chamberlain?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 10:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: So he's a really rich Neville Chamberlain?

I wonder what he would say if the world just handed Pakistan the Kashmir region of India.  Afterall it would prevent war

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He seems to be gaining all the younger/online supporters that DeSantis pissed away, and saying stuff like this is a reaction to DeSantis losing support from being too "pro-Ukraine" and going after Trump but doing so in a wimpy and too little too late manner,  I'd wager.

This guy may as well be playing the long game, given his age but Trump is the guy in 2024 and if Trump loses in 2024 he's probably going to be the guy in 2028 and if Trump wins in 2024 his VP is going to be at the top of the ticket in 2028 and 2032, or so.  I just can't a non MAGA candidate cracking through any time soon and I don't think he's shooting for the VP slot, though maybe he is. 

Everyone who isn't Trump or an ultra MAGA is just biding their time waiting for someone else to take care of their major obstacle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The guy seems to be a joke.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/vivek-ramaswamy-calls-juneteenth-useless-rcna98428

Quote:VAIL, Iowa — Vivek Ramaswamy suggested canceling Juneteenth, calling it a “useless” holiday in a conversation with Iowa voters Saturday. 

Less than two months ago, however, he posted a video on social media celebrating the day. 

Breaking down his plan Saturday to institute a national voting holiday, Ramaswamy, a GOP presidential candidate, proposed making space for the new holiday by canceling an old one. 

“Cancel Juneteenth or one of the other useless ones we made up,” Ramaswamy told an applauding crowd gathered at a welding company here.

Asked by NBC News to clarify whether he thought Juneteenth was a “useless” holiday, Ramaswamy said, “I basically do.” 
Less than two months ago, on Juneteenth itself, he spoke differently about the celebration. 

“We don’t just look back and flog ourselves,” Ramaswamy said in the video June 19, which was posted to his account on X, the social media platform previously known as Twitter.  

“What we celebrate is how far we’ve come. And as a first-generation American myself, you better believe I’m proud of it. Happy Juneteenth everybody,” he said. 

When NBC News asked Ramaswamy on Saturday whether he believed Veterans Day or Memorial Day were also useless holidays, he said he didn’t. 

“I stand with the presumption of time-tested traditions,” he said.  

While Juneteenth became a federal holiday only in 2021, it has been observed since 1866. In 2004, President George W. Bush issued a statement commemorating the holiday.

On Saturday, Ramaswamy called the Juneteenth holiday “redundant,” saying it overlapped with other holidays, like Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Presidents Day.

Yet Juneteenth celebrates something completely different. As the National Museum of African American History and Culture notes, Juneteenth celebrates the anniversary of when Union troops arrived in Galveston Bay, Texas, and announced a quarter-million Black people had been freed by executive decree.  

“The reason for making it a holiday was under political duress. It was a political hostage situation on the back of the death of George Floyd,” Ramaswamy said. 

One of his competitors, former Rep. Will Hurd of Texas, who is biracial, criticized Ramaswamy for saying he "hopes to cancel a holiday that celebrates equality and freedom."

"His gimmicks and shtick aren’t serious," Hurd said.

On Juneteenth two months ago, the NAACP issued a statement saying, “Today we celebrate our emancipation while also acknowledging that we are still fighting for true freedom.”
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 10:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: The guy seems to be a joke.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/vivek-ramaswamy-calls-juneteenth-useless-rcna98428

Then cancel Columbus Day.  Juneteenth actually has meaning behind it.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
This guy has to build up as much support as he can before Trump calls him "Vickie Ram-A-Salami" and his political career dies.
Reply/Quote
I never thought I'd see the day where liberals were pro war.

JFC
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 10:27 PM)basballguy Wrote: I never thought I'd see the day where liberals were pro war.  

JFC

I think both parties are pretty pro-war when you get down to it (as evidenced with both sides agreeing that libertarians are unrealistic and unreasonable isolationists), but the GOP coincidentally throwing out the warhawks because they didn't get on board with Trump has made democrats seem more pro war by comparison.

I mean, Bush and Obama always seemed fairly comparable to me but one was apparently a Texas-tough crusader and the other got a Nobel Peace Prize, so what do I know?
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 10:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think both parties are pretty pro-war when you get down to it (as evidenced with both sides agreeing that libertarians are unrealistic and unreasonable isolationists), but the GOP coincidentally throwing out the warhawks because they didn't get on board with Trump has made democrats seem more pro war by comparison.

I mean, Bush and Obama always seemed fairly comparable to me but one was apparently a Texas-tough crusader and the other got a Nobel Peace Prize, so what do I know?

I don't know what it is about this comment...maybe it's the "Texas-tough crusader" mention...but it made me think of this old jibjab cartoon on the 2004 election...and no i'm not sorry for derailing this thread:

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 10:48 PM)basballguy Wrote: I don't know what it is about this comment...maybe it's the "Texas-tough crusader" mention...but it made me think of this old jibjab cartoon on the 2004 election...and no i'm not sorry for derailing this thread:

That's exactly where I got it, but it does sum up the mindset people had.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 10:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's exactly where I got it, but it does sum up the mindset people had.

LOL

And ya I agree (in hindsight)....I wasn't big on politics back then as a college kid so my state of mind was completely different then.  
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 10:27 PM)basballguy Wrote: I never thought I'd see the day where liberals were pro war.  

JFC

Are they?  Do you mean support for Ukraine?

They supported WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the Afghanistan War too.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 04:59 PM)Dill Wrote: Are they?  Do you mean support for Ukraine?

The supported Vietnam?  Did you miss all those protests against that war?  There were a few of them.  I know my father had a couple friends who got spit on by "liberals" while in uniform during that war.  I also recall my very left leaning English teacher calling my father a baby killer for serving in that war.  Maybe I'm just imagining those things?
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 10:57 PM)basballguy Wrote: LOL

And ya I agree (in hindsight)....I wasn't big on politics back then as a college kid so my state of mind was completely different then.  

(08-09-2023, 04:59 PM)Dill Wrote: Are they?  Do you mean support for Ukraine?

(08-09-2023, 05:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The supported Vietnam?  Did you miss all those protests against that war?  There were a few of them.  I know my father had a couple friends who got spit on by "liberals" while in uniform during that war.  I also recall my very left leaning English teacher calling my father a baby killer for serving in that war.  Maybe I'm just imagining those things?

While some Democrats supported war "Liberals" and "Left" were considered pacifists and were against fighting

Reasons like this is why words like Liberals Left Conservatives Right etc do not work.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 05:21 PM)Synric Wrote: While some Democrats supported war "Liberals" and "Left" were considered pacifists and were against fighting

Reasons like this is why words like Liberals Left Conservatives Right etc do not work.

Yeah, my dad served in the 60's (Air Force) though he didn't go to Vietnam and was sent o Germany instead, but his brother did serve in battle in Vietnam (Marines) and neither ever said anyone spit on them or accused them of anything like killing babies.

I've read of such things and certainly seen videos of the the protests and such though so I'm sure it happened in some places.

It makes me wonder how far spread it was or if it was limited to the bigger places where more "liberals" of the time were located.   

I'm going to ask him what he and his friends experienced when they came back to PA next time we talk.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 05:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, my dad served in the 60's (Air Force) though he didn't go to Vietnam and was sent o Germany instead, but his brother did serve in battle in Vietnam (Marines) and neither ever said anyone spit on them or accused them of anything like killing babies.

I've read of such things and certainly seen videos of the the protests and such though so I'm sure it happened in some places.

It makes me wonder how far spread it was or if it was limited to the bigger places where more "liberals" of the time were located.   

I'm going to ask him what he and his friends experienced when they came back to PA next time we talk.

I certainly hope they did not experience anything of the sort.  Of course, we both know their experiences cannot possibly account for the experiences of every servicemember from that time.  Which makes me wonder what the purpose of this post is/was?  Who knows, maybe my father's friends made the stories up for internet clout?
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 05:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, my dad served in the 60's (Air Force) though he didn't go to Vietnam and was sent o Germany instead, but his brother did serve in battle in Vietnam (Marines) and neither ever said anyone spit on them or accused them of anything like killing babies.

I recall my ol man mentioning how he got drafted and did his duty and within a few months of getting back he had the nerve to let his hair get long enough that he was accused of being an America hating commie. 

Everybody takes unfair lumps when politics invades daily life. 
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 06:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I recall my ol man mentioning how he got drafted and did his duty and within a few months of getting back he had the nerve to let his hair get long enough that he was accused of being an America hating commie. 

Everybody takes unfair lumps when politics invades daily life. 

Growing his hair long was NOT something my dad would EVER do...lol.

But yeah, probably depends where you were and when you served.  I imagine the 70's were much harder on soldiers than the 60's.
Reply/Quote
Isn't this the guy who wants to raise the voting age to 25 and doesn't even want to track carbon emissions?

On top of those two huge red flags he's also "anti-woke"?

Man, talk about cramming as many shit positions as possible into a single person.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 08:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Isn't this the guy who wants to raise the voting age to 25 and doesn't even want to track carbon emissions?

On top of those two huge red flags he's also "anti-woke"?

Man, talk about cramming as many shit positions as possible into a single person.

I don't think you can count raising the voting age to 25 as a "huge red flag".  We hear a lot about how a person's brain hasn't fully developed until around that age (later for men btw).  This is based on sound scientific fact.  Consequently, there is a concerted effort by the left to raise the age of criminal responsibility to age 25 for this very reason.

https://www.juvjustice.org/blog/1174

As the above link states, Vermont has raised the age to 20.  Now, I'm reasonably sure you'll agree with me on this.  If you aren't responsible enough to be charged with criminal activity as an adult, then you damned sure aren't responsible to enough to vote until that age as well. Or am I wrong?
Reply/Quote