Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divisional Round Mock
Lol I like the Mock. Penning Mathis and Bryant are in the mock I'm working on for post Senior Bowl but I'll tweak it.

Funny you mention FCS players then take 3 in the first 5 picks lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I get those with concerns over Jewell and Ifedi, especially paying that much for backups.
I couldn't find guys cheaper in FA that I liked to be really good backups and serviceable starters if needed to be.

The real things I was trying to solve were getting the starters set and then build better depth than the team has.
I see positions like LB, WR, and OL having really bad depth, IMO.
My FA helps address that with guys who could potentially be serviceable starters if they need to start somewhere, but quality depth if everyone stays healthy and the 1st round pick pans out immediately.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol I like the Mock. Penning Mathis and Bryant are in the mock I'm working on for post Senior Bowl but I'll tweak it.

What?
Who else is in the FCS aside from Penning?
Memphis and UC aren't FCS.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tiger
Would anyone on this board pay Spain 10mil per season?
Hes getting a Katie deal and thats front load for future endeavors. She's the best executive in football ! All those guys get front loaded and the deal for Jessie has ben on the table minus a mil or two.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What?
Who else is in the FCS aside from Penning?
Memphis and UC aren't FCS.

3 in the first 5 picks. Penning Bryant and Austin are FCS then Phidarian Mathis and Jake Ferguson are FBS.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:56 PM)Synric Wrote: 3 in the first 5 picks. Penning Bryant and Austin are FCS then Phidarian Mathis and Jake Ferguson are FBS.

UC and Memphis are not FCS.

Here is a list of FCS schools - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_programs

UC and Memphis are in FBS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Athletic_Conference

Are you thinking of UNI as Northern Illinois, which is in the MAC?
UNI in this context is Northern Iowa.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Lol I like the Mock. Penning Mathis and Bryant are in the mock I'm working on for post Senior Bowl but I'll tweak it.

I originally was planning to put Nicholas Petit-Frere in Rd 1 instead, but some discussions in other threads made me think 1) he might not make it to the Bengals, and 2) Penning might be really damn good.

So I'd prefer NPF if he's there, but I'm giving Penning a chance.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:54 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Would anyone on this board pay Spain 10mil per season?
Hes getting a Katie deal and thats front load for future endeavors. She's the best executive in football ! All those guys get front loaded and the deal for Jessie has ben on the table minus a mil or two.

I don't know if Spain will command that much, and I doubt the Bengals would offer that initially.
I just know that OG money is climbing, and the cap is expected to go up, so the Bengals might have to pay that to keep him.
His biggest contract to date is the 3-year, $15 mill contract with the Bills.
If he can be had for $6-8 mill APY, absolutely.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who is Biscuit? Trubisky? If so, why? He's fine as a backup and about as good of an option as you'll find without spending $5+ mill.

Why exactly does there need to be another OL taken early?
LT, LG, and C are set with Williams, Spain, and Hopkins. Hopkins has played well enough since the bye week to give me confidence he's worth starting still.
Between Ifedi and Penning, RT is set.
There isn't a C in the draft other than Linderbaum that I'd think would be better than Hopkins, and I doubt Linderbaum makes it to where the Bengals pick.
RG is going to be a competition between Adeniji and Carman. Toss Ifedi in the mix too if Penning wins RT.
I don't think you can or should give up on Carman after just one season where he was transitioning from college OT and dealing with an injury early in the offseason.

I am not set at LG with Spain. He is not that good. Hopkins has done OK. Not good. We have given up the MOST sacks in the NFL and the most or right around the most pressures. So I guess I strongly disagree that the left side is set. I like Williams. Thats it.

Carman I will give some time. But we need a LG/C/RT - They don't have to start right now but that is why you draft guys. We have no one or scrubs to take over down the line or start over them day one if they are better.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 07:09 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: I am not set at LG with Spain. He is not that good. Hopkins has done OK. Not good. We have given up the MOST sacks in the NFL and the most or right around the most pressures. So I guess I strongly disagree that the left side is set. I like Williams. Thats it.

Carman I will give some time. But we need a LG/C/RT - They don't have to start right now but that is why you draft guys. We have no one or scrubs to take over down the line or start over them day one if they are better.

So how are you addressing all of LG, C, and RT in FA and the draft with players you are convinced will be upgrades?
And what positions are you addressing less (or not addressing at all) so you can address OL more?

You only have so much money and so many draft picks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I feel that if Carman were planned to be the next RT, he would be getting those opportunities over Isaiah Prince and Fred Johnson.
I think the Bengals see Carman as the long-term RG, he's just less consistent than Adeniji right now, which is why he's backup instead of starting.

He wasn't getting those reps because he started out there and moving him in the middle of the season wouldn't have been smart.

I don't know where he will end up, but there was a lot of talk that he would start inside and move to tackle at some point in his career.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are only so many draft picks and more depth spots than draft picks.
If you're looking to take an edge and LB in the mid-rounds, who you swappin out and how are you addressing those other positions in FA?
I'm not opposed to the idea, I just think it's not as simple as you might think.

I liked Ifedi because of his versatility between RT and RG.
Getting a pure OG starter doesn't improve the depth at OT.

As for Ifedi being basically Adeniji, I disagree, I think he's better. PFF seems to agree with me.
2020 Ifedi - 63.7 pass block, 62.8 run block.
2021 Ifedi - 70.7 pass block, 58.6 run block.

2020 Adeniji - 53.6 pass block, 53.3 run block.
2021 Adeniji - 48.9 pass block, 47.7 run block.

I get that, but I can easily pass on a SS or a 4th WR to add an edge.  I'm not going to pay starter money for a backup at this point.  If we are going to blow $6 million on a RG/RT then I'm going to go the extra $3-5 million and get a guy that can start at a higher level and keep Adenji and Carman as backups since they are cheaper options.

Right now depth isn't the issue on this team.  We have plenty of depth as we've seen with guys like Adenji, Carman, Johnson and Prince that have stepped in and played at a decent enough level to win.  We need guys that can move in and be an upgrade over those guys.
Reply/Quote
I'm not putting Free Agents in my mocks anymore and this is the reason people end up debating free agents and not discussing the draft prospects.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 07:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I get that, but I can easily pass on a SS or a 4th WR to add an edge.  I'm not going to pay starter money for a backup at this point.  If we are going to blow $6 million on a RG/RT then I'm going to go the extra $3-5 million and get a guy that can start at a higher level and keep Adenji and Carman as backups since they are cheaper options.

Right now depth isn't the issue on this team.  We have plenty of depth as we've seen with guys like Adenji, Carman, Johnson and Prince that have stepped in and played at a decent enough level to win.  We need guys that can move in and be an upgrade over those guys.

That's fair.

The WR was actually WR5 and the new PR. Reynolds was added in FA for WR4.
But yea, I see your point.

Safety I completely get. They are usually cheap for backups anyway.

I just felt that Ifedi, Jewell, and Reynolds were good, realistic options that still allow the team to start their younger guys but have solid depth.
I don't know of many other FAs that have G/OT swing ability, and the draft would probably result in someone worse than Ifedi.
I doubt the Bengals would really go for an outside OL who costs $10+ mill a year also.

Depth is an issue though. Depth at LB, OT, TE, WR, and C is bad.
SS is missing a backup if Allen leaves.
CB depth is kinda bad, could be worse with Phillips, Hargreaves, and Flowers all set to hit FA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 07:39 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm not putting Free Agents in my mocks anymore and this is the reason people end up debating free agents and not discussing the draft prospects.

I'm starting to think the same.
Or at least not putting potential $$ associated.

The only reason I included them was to show that I'm not leaving other positions unaddressed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 07:32 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: He wasn't getting those reps because he started out there and moving him in the middle of the season wouldn't have been smart.

I don't know where he will end up, but there was a lot of talk that he would start inside and move to tackle at some point in his career.

That wasn't talk from the team, IIRC.
That was what fans just thought when he was drafted.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 07:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So how are you addressing all of LG, C, and RT in FA and the draft with players you are convinced will be upgrades?
And what positions are you addressing less (or not addressing at all) so you can address OL more?

You only have so much money and so many draft picks.

Cant fix them all right away. I would take 2 OL in the first 4 rounds. That leaves plenty of picks for other things. 

They may not be upgrades right away but OG and C especially can develop and become a starter down the road. 

A WR is not going to be a starter on this team for the next 4 years. I would rather re sign CJ or get another TE in FA than draft one in the first 4.

That said depending on how FA shakes out I would want any mix of OT/OG/C/TE/DL/CB in the first 4 I would prefer 2 of those be O line though. But thats just me! 
Reply/Quote
The drafts ok but the FA is a hard no. Money on Mitchell trubisky? No sir. Jose jewel is a pointless addition. He is no upgrade. This oline is the worst in the league and u wanna bring in Germaine ifedi? I’d go on but I don’t wanna be negative. Not for me.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get those with concerns over Jewell and Ifedi, especially paying that much for backups.
I couldn't find guys cheaper in FA that I liked to be really good backups and serviceable starters if needed to be.

The real things I was trying to solve were getting the starters set and then build better depth than the team has.
I see positions like LB, WR, and OL having really bad depth, IMO.
My FA helps address that with guys who could potentially be serviceable starters if they need to start somewhere, but quality depth if everyone stays healthy and the 1st round pick pans out immediately.

Y r we signing guys who are back ups that may have potential to start!? Sign starters.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Does anyone know what specific injury he had?  That would really determine how much he would get.  He may have to play on a another 1 year deal.

No. The media keeps reporting foot injury. But, from watching the game his foot was externally rotated while his ankle was everted. That’s usually a medial ankle sprain, maybe high ankle sprain, navicular fracture even less likely. When the doc palpated medial aspect of ankle, Ogunjobi flinched in pain. Surgery would make me suspect grade III (ruptured) deltoid ligament sprain. Should be ready by training camp, but medial ankle sprains can take significantly longer to rehab than the more common lateral ankle sprains. I always suspected that’s the ankle injury AJ sustained, but I never saw it confirmed.
Reply/Quote