Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Bengal players read this forum?
(03-22-2021, 01:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Gresh, Sled, The Gresh. Mellow

Still, I call it. Mellow

Ah, I missed the "the"...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 01:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ah, I missed the "the"...

Yeah, back in his prime he was underrated IMO.

Especially on the old forum and on here.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:28 AM)pally Wrote: Maybe if Bengalholic asks very nicely and everyone promises to behave themselves we can get Elizabeth to come here for a Q&A

Yeah that won't happen.  It would probably have to be watched by the mods every minute and heavily moderated.  That said, if the mods were up to it and EB was okay with it as well knowing there would be some trolling, that would be cool. Of course one thing that could also be negative is that she would have to make an account here to join with an email. I'm not sure she would be willing to do so unless she used a throw away email or maybe Holic could make an account just for her to use without submitting personal identifying info. But it would involve a certain amount of trust between her and the people that run this message board to make it happen.

And as things that have been brought up before, social media seems to be the easiest way to be heard these days. Message boards/forums are quickly becoming irrelevant. So I'm not even sure it would be worth her time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 01:10 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Not sure this is necessary. My mom died almost 40 years ago. Maybe this would be better served in the smack shack.

I kind of thought someone might say this. I'm sorry was just being stupid. 
Reply/Quote
Any players who are lurking please feel free to PM me for my address to send a Jersey. Who Dey!!!
Reply/Quote
I would think it would be more likely newer players come to the message boards to see what fans are saying about them than established players.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 10:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Family members do. Have talked to Michael Johnson's dad on here, Shayne Graham's sister on the old board, Burfict's
cousin and others I cannot remember that had players that didn't pan out. Never seen an authentic player myself.

There are also a lot of guys that seem to be family members that post on here pimping some young player that we all
think is a family member. I am sure they talk to the players about the positives or negatives. They do hear things.

Hobson or someone he knows copied my name I gave Gresham. I called him the Gresh and afterwards, about a year
later I heard him using the same term. Lots of people read this and the old forum though, who knows if players do?

Yep. I was messaging back and forth with a relative of McCarron back when he was fighting the organization to get credit for that injury year so he could get to free agency. He's long gone now, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind me mentioning it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 03:35 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I kind of thought someone might say this. I'm sorry was just being stupid. 

Apology accepted.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 03:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I would think it would be more likely newer players come to the message boards to see what fans are saying about them than established players.

They probably do not even know this message board exists.   Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc  appeals to the younger crowd, current NFL players.  I don't think they are looking up "Bengals Message Board" on Google, where this board is the top result, to see what people are saying about them.. For a lot of the younger players I'm guessing terms like "message board" and "online forum" are not even something that is even in their vocabulary as opposed to Tweets, posting on Facebook, Instagram etc. Nothing against that. It is just the way things are going.

Even this board is driven by donations by awesome fans (note I totally support this and am glad to). 10 years ago with the same member base that would not have been the case. There would have been enough from ad revenue based on traffic alone. But most of the online advertisers are putting their money in social media these days.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 03:35 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I kind of thought someone might say this. I'm sorry was just being stupid. 

I don't think you're going to hurt her feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 03:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I would think it would be more likely newer players come to the message boards to see what fans are saying about them than established players.

Probably right... I'm sure many have read things here over the years.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 02:35 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah that won't happen.  It would probably have to be watched by the mods every minute and heavily moderated.  That said, if the mods were up to it and EB was okay with it as well knowing there would be some trolling, that would be cool.  Of course one thing that could also be negative is that she would have to make an account here to join with an email.  I'm not sure she would be willing to do so unless she used a throw away email or maybe Holic could make an account just for her to use without submitting personal identifying info.  But it would involve a certain amount of trust between her and the people that run this message board to make it happen.

And as things that have been brought up before, social media seems to be the easiest way to be heard these days.  Message boards/forums are quickly becoming irrelevant.  So I'm not even sure it would be worth her time.

EB seems pretty interested in fan connection, but I'm pretty sure most of the work is done by other people on her team and not her.  I don't know that she'd want to get tangled up in posts on here.  Also, and no offense to her because we'd all do it in her shoes, but she'd just cherry pick questions and give stock answers.  We wouldn't get any kind of special insider information.  

Now what WAS cool was when Jim O would pop in.  He did have some insider scoop at times and it was nice to get his candid thoughts.  

But as most have mentioned, Twitter has really taken over that kind of space.  Any of us could ask a quick answer there of PDJ (or submit for his podcast or to any of the other personalities) and get a faster answer than someone coming to read 100 posts that go on tangents about pizza and arcade games and player girlfriends.  I can say for myself if I'm not on here for 2-3 days, the number of new threads and posts can get overwhelming if I really want to keep up.  I also like the breakdowns (and the tangents) which is why I prefer the forum medium over Twitter or any other quick and dirty social media.  But it's a niche space for sure, and I can't imagine many players, family or friends are cruising here on a super regular basis unless they've got some beef and a place to air it out. 
Reply/Quote
For the sake of their mental well being I would hope not. The rarity of the qualities which make a person capable of making it in the pros is lost on those who engage in our particular form of internet barf speak. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:59 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: For the sake of their mental well being I would hope not. The rarity of the qualities which make a person capable of making it in the pros is lost on those who engage in our particular form of internet barf speak. 

Well there’s guys like Bobby Hart who specialize in internet barf speak...

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 05:22 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: They probably do not even know this message board exists.   Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc  appeals to the younger crowd, current NFL players.  I don't think they are looking up "Bengals Message Board" on Google, where this board is the top result,  to see what people are saying about them..  For a lot of the younger players I'm guessing  terms like "message board" and "online forum" are not even something that is even in their vocabulary as opposed to Tweets, posting on Facebook, Instagram  etc.  Nothing against that. It is just  the way things are going.

Even this board is driven by donations by awesome fans (note I totally support this and am glad to).  10 years ago with the same member base that would not have been the case.  There would have been enough from ad revenue based on traffic alone.  But most of the online advertisers are putting their money in social media these days.

I think you are underestimating them. Are they googling "Bengals Message Board?", probably not, but I guarantee when they sign they look up the Bengals and read all about them. And since just about every NFL team has a message board of some kind, do you not think they get a little curious what people are saying about them? They know about the boards....
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 01:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, back in his prime he was underrated IMO.

Especially on the old forum and on here.

It's just because Gronk was a thing and because Lapham spread poison lies to the fanbase at the end. Still don't know what the hell Lapham's problem with Gresham was that he had to spread false information all over the radio about Gresham being soft and quitting when he was playing with a herniated disc at the end of 2014.

Also didn't help that the Bengals did (and still do) have a weird obsession with putting their TE blocking 1-on-1 against the opposing team's best DE. I specifically remember a game in 2013 where Gresham got abused in pass blocking again and again, but it was because they kept asking him to block Cameron Wake 1-on-1 as if that was ever going to be a good idea. This was a year after Wake had 15 sacks and was an All-Pro, so really that's just the coaches fault there. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 04:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. I was messaging back and forth with a relative of McCarron back when he was fighting the organization to get credit for that injury year so he could get to free agency. He's long gone now, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind me mentioning it.

Interesting, didn't know that. We don't even know how many family members have been on here.

Sure seems like someone in the FO gets on here and checks out the Draft forum at times.

I had Bates in every one of my Mocks that year. Last year I had ADG and Logan Wilson as my top LB picks in the mid rounds.

Pretty rare out of all the players to pick from they seem to pick a Draft forum fan favorite player every year.

As you know, I really pushed for Billings, he didn't pan out the way I expected but still.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 08:33 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's just because Gronk was a thing and because Lapham spread poison lies to the fanbase at the end. Still don't know what the hell Lapham's problem with Gresham was that he had to spread false information all over the radio about Gresham being soft and quitting when he was playing with a herniated disc at the end of 2014.

Also didn't help that the Bengals did (and still do) have a weird obsession with putting their TE blocking 1-on-1 against the opposing team's best DE. I specifically remember a game in 2013 where Gresham got abused in pass blocking again and again, but it was because they kept asking him to block Cameron Wake 1-on-1 as if that was ever going to be a good idea. This was a year after Wake had 15 sacks and was an All-Pro, so really that's just the coaches fault there. Lol

Remember all of this, yeah, that is idiotic having your TE blocking a team's best DE all the time.

Saw Sample having to do this a bit last year too, just stupid. I can see using them to bump the End, which is a great tactic.

But never to have to solely block the best End on an island 1 on 1. Crazy.WTF
Reply/Quote
I'm sure plenty do look at it, but responses are another story entirely and even if they did respond it's likely several members wouldn't believe it was them in the first place.. Anyone can make a fake email account and fake username and pretend to be a player so it doesn't really matter if they do or not..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 08:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think you are underestimating them. Are they googling "Bengals Message Board?", probably not, but I guarantee when they sign they look up the Bengals and read all about them. And since just about every NFL team has a message board of some kind, do you not think they get a little curious what people are saying about them? They know about the boards....

They'll be googling their own names rather than Bengals message board.

I moderate a team's board in another professional sport and you can't move for family of players. That probably doesn't come as a surprise. It is only natural for family to want to know how their sons/grandsons/brothers etc are faring, particularly as sport often drags individuals away from their family.

At one time we even had the head coach as a member and he used it to occasionally pass on various little pieces of information and give his perspective, but all with a veneer of deniability.

**waves at Zac**
Reply/Quote