Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do NOT Run the Ball Outside Against the Chiefs
After watching the Steelers play the Chiefs I noticed a pattern the Bengals might wish to exploit this Sunday. Pittsburgh is usually excellent at running sweep plays to the outside; they’ve done this successfully since the days of Franco Harris. Now with their “new” Harris — Najee — Pittsburgh tried the sweep play against Kansas City repeatedly and got burned.

This kind of strategy is not going to work because Kansas City has fast linebackers and cornerbacks who get to the ball carrier fast on sweep plays. The Bengals would be better off running through the A- and B- gaps instead of trying to run anything outside the tackles. Faking a run to the outside then cutting back inside might also prove effective against the Chiefs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After watching the Steelers play the Chiefs I noticed a pattern the Bengals might wish to exploit this Sunday.  Pittsburgh is usually excellent at running sweep plays to the outside; they’ve done this successfully since the days of Franco Harris.  Now with their “new” Harris — Najee — Pittsburgh tried the sweep play against Kansas City repeatedly and got burned.

This kind of strategy is not going to work because Kansas City has fast linebackers and cornerbacks who get to the ball carrier fast on sweep plays.  The Bengals would be better off running through the A- and B- gaps instead of trying to run anything outside the tackles.  Faking a run to the outside then cutting back inside might also prove effective against the Chiefs.

Yes, they are fast sideline to sideline. Need to attack them up the middle with our big RB's in Mixon and Perine.

Actually fits what we do anyways honestly. I could see us matching up well with their Defense. They rely on speed but we are 
more of a power zone to the B-gaps on both sides. We can also pass on their Secondary as long as Burrow has time.
Reply/Quote
Hell, I'd argue most of our best runs have come up th emiddle and most of our worst were runs and sweeps to the outside. I'd be more than happy to just cut those plays out of the playbook altogether.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Can't use Steelers run game as an example of what to do or not to do. They have been terrible all season with their new line and back.
Reply/Quote
We need to do exactly what we did against ravens . They will get sacks we will counter by getting yards.. If they start dropping 7 and 8 pound mixon and adjust.. Chiefs secondary is nothing special we have the talent to exploit it. Defensively redzone D is the key make them settle for FGs don't give up TD's. For extra credit have a couple of 8 point drives it's something we should work on anyway you want to do anything you can to get Chiefs out of their comfort zone because Mahomes and Reid both tend to panic if things are not going according to plan. Worst thing we can do with a 2 possession lead is get conservative.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We need to do exactly what we did against ravens . They will get sacks we will counter by getting yards.. If they start dropping 7 and 8 pound mixon and adjust.. Chiefs secondary is nothing special we have the talent to exploit it. Defensively redzone D is the key make them settle for FGs don't give up TD's. For extra credit have a couple of 8 point drives it's something we should work on anyway you want to do anything you can to get Chiefs out of their comfort zone because Mahomes and Reid both tend to panic if things are not going according to plan. Worst thing we can do with a 2 possession lead is get conservative.

No, if Mixon turns out to be effective running up the middle, we need to copy the stealers game and run the ball. That keeps their offense off the field.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:27 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Can't use Steelers run game as an example of what to do or not to do.  They have been terrible all season with their new line and back.

I said this in another thread, the fact that their OL is so terrible and Harris is still about to hit 1K yards (5th in the NFL) and they are in the playoff hunt still really sucks. Harris is going to be an issue for the next 5 years. They just need to go away for like a decade.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I said this in another thread, the fact that their OL is so terrible and Harris is still about to hit 1K yards (5th in the NFL) and they are in the playoff hunt still really sucks. Harris is going to be an issue for the next 5 years. They just need to go away for like a decade.

His yardage is high because he has been running the ball a lot. He hasn't had a good season rushing the ball, at all. His receiving ability is dangerous, though. 
Reply/Quote
The Chiefs like to use cover 2 and stop the run with their front 7 so the Bengals will have alot of rushing opportunities. The Offensive Line needs to step up, play physical, and force the Chiefs defense out of their comfort zone.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:56 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: His yardage is high because he has been running the ball a lot. He hasn't had a good season rushing the ball, at all. His receiving ability is dangerous, though. 

He has been running behind the worst OL in the NFL.

Just sucks because I was hopeful that they'd swing and miss on a 1st round pick, but nope...ended up with a guy that's going to be a pain.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, they are fast sideline to sideline. Need to attack them up the middle with our big RB's in Mixon and Perine.

Actually fits what we do anyways honestly. I could see us matching up well with their Defense. They rely on speed but we are 
more of a power zone to the B-gaps on both sides. We can also pass on their Secondary as long as Burrow has time.

Outside zone, no. Wide zone with a strong look for cutbacks, yes. It worked well earlier in the year and might be the thing to counter KCs outside speed--catch them over-pursuing. Of course, mix in some stuff in the middle to keep them guessing but i wouldn't bother trying to get outside the TE too much. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Beating the Chiefs is all about matching their firepower. Our firepower has to fire up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Kudos on an excellent observation by the OP. I agree to a point that the Bengals should target their runs up the gut, however I also believe that they should be executing the Wide Zone play where the runner picks his lane wherever the opening exists on that given play. With the way KC's LBs pursue to the edge, there should be plenty of opportunity for cutback lanes to the inside and even backside of the play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 06:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: He has been running behind the worst OL in the NFL.

Just sucks because I was hopeful that they'd swing and miss on a 1st round pick, but nope...ended up with a guy that's going to be a pain.

Eh, our defense is specifically built to do two things; contain Lamar Jackson, and stop the run. Reader and Hubbard are a great counter to anyone thinking they’re just going to pound the ball on us. Granted, we haven’t had an answer for Chubb yet, but our games against the Browns are just inexplicable. We’re literally the only team in the league that makes Baker look like a good QB.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After watching the Steelers play the Chiefs I noticed a pattern the Bengals might wish to exploit this Sunday.  Pittsburgh is usually excellent at running sweep plays to the outside; they’ve done this successfully since the days of Franco Harris.  Now with their “new” Harris — Najee — Pittsburgh tried the sweep play against Kansas City repeatedly and got burned.

This kind of strategy is not going to work because Kansas City has fast linebackers and cornerbacks who get to the ball carrier fast on sweep plays.  The Bengals would be better off running through the A- and B- gaps instead of trying to run anything outside the tackles.  Faking a run to the outside then cutting back inside might also prove effective against the Chiefs.

You may very well be right. But I noticed watching the game that Harris kept trying to go east or west when he needed to get north and get positive yards. Whatever we do I hope we come out eary with a good game plan and execute. I think only way we have a chance of winning is to score early. I don't think we are gonna have a chance if we have to come from behind in the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
Yep.  Been saying this in other threads.

Mixon or any other RB running to the edge will end in misery.

I don't care how bad the Steelers are at blocking, the D was there with speed and numbers regardless.

Also those sideways passes will get blown up as well too.

Zac.  Just don't do it.

I agree with possibly baiting them with over pursuit and making them pay.

This might be the time to throw in a flea flicker somewhere.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Whatever we do, if it doesn't work, Zac has to understand the importance of adjusting and adjusting quick. This game will get out of hand and fast. WE WILL NOT STOP KELCE. If we win, it's in a shootout. We have to keep up offensively. Let Burrow do his thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 08:34 PM)Takedown Wrote: Whatever we do, if it doesn't work, Zac has to understand the importance of adjusting and adjusting quick. This game will get out of hand and fast. WE WILL NOT STOP KELCE. If we win, it's in a shootout. We have to keep up offensively. Let Burrow do his thing.

This is the game of Zac's career IMO.

The team needs to show up as well so it's not all on him.

Beating KC or making those adjustments to keep it close will show if Taylor's made improvements against a really strong opponent.

Tough game.  Should be interesting.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 07:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, our defense is specifically built to do two things; contain Lamar Jackson, and stop the run. Reader and Hubbard are a great counter to anyone thinking they’re just going to pound the ball on us. Granted, we haven’t had an answer for Chubb yet, but our games against the Browns are just inexplicable. We’re literally the only team in the league that makes Baker look like a good QB.

Which baffles me.

Baker isn't that good. Not even a little bit yet that smug shit just beats the Bengals like it is nothing.

Makes the KC game a must win, because needing a win in Cleveland to go to the playoffs is not ideal.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 08:29 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yep. Been saying this in other threads.

Mixon or any other RB running to the edge will end in misery.

I don't care how bad the Steelers are at blocking the D was there with speed and number regardless.

Also those sideways passes will get blown up as well too.

Zac. Just don't do it.

Bubble screens need to be erased from the playbook this week. Maybe it’s time for some misdirections as well; fast pursuit defenses are highly susceptible to misdirection.
Reply/Quote