Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do NOT Run the Ball Outside Against the Chiefs
I never like running the ball outside because I feel like Mixon is a lot slower running (as he is in a sweep) and I love when we run him straight ahead or even off-tackle and then just let him be a one-cut power runner that can easily make guys miss when he's going full-speed or break through arm tackles.

I cringe whenever we toss him the ball on a sweep.

Running the ball to the outside also makes play-action less effective.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals need to run the ball to keep Mahomes off the field and eat up the clock.Long,sustained drives,resulting in touchdowns.But I agree,forget about running to the outside.The signature of this defense is speed.They are very fast.
OL needs to play well in this game to have success.Just don’t get to conservative Zac.Yes,we need to run the ball,but aggression is key here.We have a Quarterback that enjoys being aggressive and up tempo.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 06:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Outside zone, no. Wide zone with a strong look for cutbacks, yes. It worked well earlier in the year and might be the thing to counter KCs outside speed--catch them over-pursuing. Of course, mix in some stuff in the middle to keep them guessing but i wouldn't bother trying to get outside the TE too much. 

Wide zone to a point, don't want to go too wide, that is why I said a power zone meaning more in the A and B gaps and not so
much out there on the C gaps where speed can become a problem against a D like KC's. This way Mixon and Perine can cut off 
the gaps and make them pay in the middle. Could get some big gains against a not so physical front like KC.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After watching the Steelers play the Chiefs I noticed a pattern the Bengals might wish to exploit this Sunday.  Pittsburgh is usually excellent at running sweep plays to the outside; they’ve done this successfully since the days of Franco Harris.  Now with their “new” Harris — Najee — Pittsburgh tried the sweep play against Kansas City repeatedly and got burned.

This kind of strategy is not going to work because Kansas City has fast linebackers and cornerbacks who get to the ball carrier fast on sweep plays.  The Bengals would be better off running through the A- and B- gaps instead of trying to run anything outside the tackles.  Faking a run to the outside then cutting back inside might also prove effective against the Chiefs.

Bengals might be screwed then because they are not good running inside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After watching the Steelers play the Chiefs I noticed a pattern the Bengals might wish to exploit this Sunday.  Pittsburgh is usually excellent at running sweep plays to the outside; they’ve done this successfully since the days of Franco Harris.  Now with their “new” Harris — Najee — Pittsburgh tried the sweep play against Kansas City repeatedly and got burned.

This kind of strategy is not going to work because Kansas City has fast linebackers and cornerbacks who get to the ball carrier fast on sweep plays.  The Bengals would be better off running through the A- and B- gaps instead of trying to run anything outside the tackles.  Faking a run to the outside then cutting back inside might also prove effective against the Chiefs.

I'd try any runs.  We block the toss sweep pretty well.  No reason to telegraph what we'll do.  If it works, keep doing it until they stop it.  Change it up.  Be unpredictable.  
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 11:40 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I'd try any runs.  We block the toss sweep pretty well.  No reason to telegraph what we'll do.  If it works, keep doing it until they stop it.  Change it up.  Be unpredictable.  

True, always be unpredictable but Tosses seem like a bad idea against a speedy sideline to sideline front like KC.

Those are fast Linebackers with quicker Ends on that team. I would punish them up the middle as much as possible.

Also what isn't being mentioned is our very good pass blocking WR's who help on the edge about as good as anybody.

Certainly better than the Steelers WR's.
Reply/Quote
I always got the impression that the Spagnuolo defense's achilles heel was his tendency to want to be over-aggressive, an attitude that seems to be emulated by his players. They like to go for negative yardage plays and turnovers, sometimes overpursue, and I believe that he likes to creatively blitz. I'd think that stuff based on misdirection, counters, motion into end arounds/fake end arounds, draws, traps, well disguised screens, even a ff hail mary could potentially burn them. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 09:39 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The Bengals need to run the ball to keep Mahomes off the field and eat up the clock.Long,sustained drives,resulting in touchdowns.But I agree,forget about running to the outside.The signature of this defense is speed.They are very fast.
OL needs to play well in this game to have success.Just don’t get to conservative Zac.Yes,we need to run the ball,but aggression is key here.We have a Quarterback that enjoys being aggressive and up tempo.

I like this take. I think keeping Mahommes OFF the field will be the key to winning this game. Long sustained drives with short passes and running it down the middle to wear them down.  Their offense is explosive with Hill and can score at will.   

We can also keep up with them with our offense but we have struggled, with a couple games laying eggs but others crushing it.  We have not had any trick plays, reversals, flea flickers, etc.   I think it's time to do a couple to keep them guessing thru out and strategically speaking,  confuse the heck out of them. Reid: Sonnabagun, they just scored on that reversal... Bang Head

Tiger

I have faith in our defense, I hope our high octane offense can score A LOT. The Ravens were a beat up team.
Reply/Quote
The one thing that this team has they never had before is a 9 man offensive line for all intents  and purposes. We finally have receivers who will all block for Joe..That gives them the ability to do some decent outside runs as well as inside..I'd test them all. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote