Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton would be a perfectly average QB ...
... by 1999 standards.

Interesting comparison by Bill Barnwell on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27910887/barnwell-nfl-stat-comparisons-shock-14-blind-items

Player A: 57.1% completion percentage, 6.8 yards per attempt, 3.4% INT rate, 77.1 passer rating
Player B: 60.1% completion percentage, 6.7 yards per attempt, 2.8% INT rate, 77.9 passer rating

This one's just here to contextualize how much the NFL has changed over the past 20 years, and how important it is to put stats in context. Player A is the collected passing performance of the NFL during the 1999 season; though that includes work by backups and the occasional trick play, this is essentially what average quarterback play looked like 20 years ago.

Player B is Andy Dalton's 2019 season so far. I understand if you haven't really been paying close attention to an 0-7 Bengals team, but Dalton ranks 28th in passer rating and Total QBR. An average quarterback from 1999 -- a passer like Steve McNair or Jeff Garcia, by the numbers -- would be barely playable by the numbers in 2019.

Kurt Warner's debut season as a starter came in 1999 when the future Hall of Famer took the league by storm and won MVP. His passer rating that year was 109.2. Three quarterbacks have a better passer rating this season than Warner had then, and one of them is Kirk Cousins. The No. 2 quarterback that year by passer rating was Steve Beuerlein, who was nearly 15 points behind Warner at 94.6. Fourteen quarterbacks have a better passer rating this season than the former Panthers starter. The game is very different.

I'm no Dalton hater, nor is this thread meant to trash him. I fully acknowledge that his low numbers have a lot to do with a terrible O-line, a non-existent run game, injuries to WRs, etc. But I find it interesting that what we perceive as a huge lack of production at the QB position would have been perfectly average 20 years ago ... shows you how much the game has changed. (Now lets just hope our front office isn't stuck in '99.)
Reply/Quote
Dalton isn't a horrible QB if, and it's a big IF he has a top shelf Oline, very good to great weapons, a decent running game, and above average defense.

I know I'e been down a good bit on Dalton lately but I'm just sick and tired of all the losing (especially to Pittsburgh). I'm sick and tired of all the excuses, he's stunk this season even when he's had a clean pocket and he's had a clean pocket way more then many will admit.

The real fault lies with MB refusing to pay for a top shelf Oline. Just like we saw Palmer's line dwindle away now Dalton's has. And now Dalton is seeing ghosts.

Time to get another QB in here and ruin him to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 01:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Dalton isn't a horrible QB if, and it's a big IF he has a top shelf Oline, very good to great weapons, a decent running game, and above average defense.

I feel like that'd be true for most QBs, though.  That's why that qualifier for Dalton never really made much sense to me.

If you're a QB with a great o-line, WR corps, and RB corps, and you can't get the job done, chances are you just suck.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Oh man...i remember the "good ole days" when Dalton was average. *far off stare*

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 10:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Oh man...i remember the "good ole days" when Dalton was average. *far off stare*

And if you called him average on the boards during those days you had to duck immediately afterwards.
Reply/Quote