Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Rock Gods exist in today’s music?
(02-05-2018, 10:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Pretty much.

Not very plausible when the world snuffs rock bands(mostly USA)and large labels don't seem to have interest.

Rap has replaced the rebel mentality that made rock music famous.

In order to find decent rock music now... you have to really search for it. 

Non-AOR media doesn't allow musicians to construct music with dynamics and make epic pieces.

So many reasons for no Rock Gods.

Hell, I'll even throw the internet with YouTube that has so many savant musicians that water down the "wow factor" of hearing something new.

That personal excessiveness leads us back to guys like Van Halen & Page who knew how to write songs as well as play like monsters.

Yep it is hard to break in the rock world these days. Dying out, Blackberry Smoke can not even hardly get any radio play despite their popularity. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 02:22 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Stood in line to buy tickets to louisville show along with the rest of a 3 state area it seemed. Sold out before I even got close.
Then messed up by not going to show looking because my friends said there were bootleg tickets everywhere.

But as a consolation prize we bought tickets to the Pink Floyd Animals tour that had not sold out .

They played 2 nights in Cincy. On one of them, the Cincinnati Police Wagon got turned over on the first night, and my mom almost didn't let me go the 2nd night. Crowd was crazy, it was before the Who concert and it was all stadium seating. Zep came out with no opening act and played for about 3 hours. Since then, combining concerts I attended and concerts I worked, I saw almost all the big name acts, and no one ever even came close to putting on a show like they did....
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 09:54 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Honestly, I can’t think of one. Unlike Rock of the past where Rock Gods were every where, I’m struggling to find one in today’s music.

To me, there’s a difference between the status of Rock God & Rock Star. There’s plenty of Rock Stars like Dave Grohl or Kid Rock (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing that).

I’d say all the members of Metallica are Gods as is Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam & maybe Flea & Anthony K of RHCP. But all of those guys couldn’t be considered contemporary, although they’re all still (somewhat) active.

So, are Rock Gods still being born, or are they a dead breed?

The further away that we get from the advent of the genre, the less we are willing to praise the innovation of musicians. 

However, I will say that Dave Grohl would fall under that category. He's a living legend. He was the first show at this new venue in DC (his hometown) and it was the best show I have ever been too. Everlong live decades later was amazing. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 06:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The further away that we get from the advent of the genre, the less we are willing to praise the innovation of musicians. 

However, I will say that Dave Grohl would fall under that category. He's a living legend. He was the first show at this new venue in DC (his hometown) and it was the best show I have ever been too. Everlong live decades later was amazing. 

I really admire Grohl.

As a musician it's great to see someone who always has the wheels turning in his head.

He's the master of none(drums maybe)but it works out brilliantly for him.

Someone being a master musician does not necessarily make you great artist.

He has a full understanding of how to construct songs and write lyrics.

Like I said earlier.  He doesn't "wow" me in his singing or guitar playing.  Yet the pieces fit for him.

Outside of his tenacity to stay relevant it is quite refreshing to see him collaborate with other genres.

Lastly...  I have friends and know people who don't like Grohl that claim he's not a legit rocker.

Sadly he's probably one of the few in mainstream music that keeps a pulse for the genre.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 02:25 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep it is hard to break in the rock world these days. Dying out, Blackberry Smoke can not even hardly get any radio play despite their popularity. 

Blackberry Smoke kind of fall in a strange category.

Not really blues, country, outlaw, or rock.

The dabble in all of these things genres.

I think radio/tv really don't know what to do with them.

They have a much larger spectrum than the Black Crowes in my opinion.

Maybe they need to find the right cover song to break through?

I love "The Whippoorwill" release.

I don't know why but I like this particular live version(amp buzz and all LOL)of Little Feat's "Willin'" they did.

Alice...  Dallas Alice.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I haven't read the thread yet, but I'll say this. My XM is 70's, classic rewind, classic vinyl, the bridge and then a wild card. Sometimes deep tracks, I've had e-street radio, Ozzy's Boneyard, etc. Last week I decided on Lithium-90's rock basically. I didn't listen to 90's rock, but I do know some songs and I certainly know a lot of the big time bands, and that's the point. I know nobody now. I don't have the slightest idea who is playing new music anymore. I certainly knew Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell, Scott Weiland, Kurt Cobain, James Hetfield etc. And to the kids of that era these guys were like Mick Jagger, and Roger Daltry and Robert plant.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote