Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Rock Gods exist in today’s music?
(02-01-2018, 01:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Any list that has Lemmy on it, is top notch!  :)

I would just add Eddie Vedder to it, but I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan.  Gonna be getting my first PJ tat this summer hopefully. 

Also, I'd add Les Claypool.  hands down the greatest bass player IMO. 

I dig some Les Claypool.....and I would say you're right on that.  There are some very good ones that folks don't think about though.....Geezer Butler is simply genius on early Sabbath, Phil Lesh is phenomenal on bass, Bootsie Collins, Lemmy, Berry Oakley, John Paul Jones....several great ones.

Claypool is a hybrid, IMO, plays rock, but slaps it like a rockabilly/country guy.  If you're ever in Nashville, go down to Robert's Western World on Lower Broadway and catch Joe Fick on the upright.  I have a friend that's sick as hell on one too.....Scott Hinds with The Royal Hounds.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:10 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Hard to overlook Paul Rodgers from back in the day (Free, Bad Company The Firm). In more recent years, I'm leaning toward Grace Potter. Leaning heavily actually. Could sit Susan Tedeschi up there too. And Joe Bonamassa.

Tedeschi/Trucks is awesome.

Reply/Quote
It really depends on how far you go back when you say recent?

Also I'd say a Rock God is someone who is impressive or larger than life.

Of course opinion and taste of music skews views.

What Sunset was alluding to is that Kid Rock is a larger than life kind of guy and even spanned genres.

Even if you hated him or didn't care for his music he's still a popular rock icon.

Now if you put it on a talent that blows you away kind of thing... not a whole lot of recent in the Rock genre that fit the bill.

That's why so many people in this thread are gravitating towards blues and instrumentally based guys like Trucks, Tedeschi, KWS, and especially Joe Bonamassa who is the most popular modern guitarist in the world currently.

Dave Grohl is multi-talented musician and a decent writer, but nothing really blows you away.

Corey Taylor mixes it up but again nothing he does is amazing either.

Really the media/recording industry doesn't promote Rock like they used to.

Having AOR radio stations in the past allowed bands to make legendary music that could be about any time length in songs.

In doing so it promoted songs that had dynamics instead of the whole "get to the chorus and keep it to 3-4 minute max" way of thinking.

MTV and other video outlets don't promote rock bands either.

Rock is on life support right now and the plug is hanging halfway out of the wall.

Metal will probably always be around but with an underground following mostly.

Avenged Sevenfold and Killswitch Engage probably being the most recent popular ones.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 02:00 AM)Synric Wrote: Music depends on the person.

Depending on who you ask guys like Sammie Hagar and Axel Rose couldn't measure up to The Beatles and The Who. Even those two couldn't measure up to Sammie Davis Jr and Frank Sinatra.

I was a late 90s  teen so I'm partial to Buckcherry Audioslave Smashing Pumpkins Stone temple pilots Pearl Jam GodSmack etc...

Edit: Alice in chains will be at rock on the range this year...I was heartbroken Chris Cornell died a couple days before Soundgarden preformed at Rock on the range last year...

Is it possible to really really like an album but hate the band?

I like the first Godsmack album but can't stand them or any other music they put out after that.

Sully is the main reason.

His voice is like a low white noise hum to me.  Annoying as shit.

As far as your post I'd have to agree that eras of your youth tend to cause you pedestal musicians from it.
Reply/Quote
These guys have been out for a while but I like their throwback vibe.

Definitely not for everyone...

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 09:54 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Is it possible to really really like an album but hate the band?

I like the first Godsmack album but can't stand them or any other music they put out after that.

Sully is the main reason.

His voice is like a low white noise hum to me.  Annoying as shit.

As far as your post I'd have to agree that eras of your youth tend to cause you pedestal musicians from it.

Which is why I chose to ambiguously choose a random era starting with the 90's and beyond, in my earlier post.  Heck, I'm old.  Born in '69, I grew up on the real rock gods.  The reason I chose the 90's as a starting point for what I consider "modern" era, is that so much was changing in that time period.  A lot of styles that used to be the norm were getting pushed aside in favor of "new flavor".  For example, the grunge movement was huge, took the Nation by storm.  However, seems most of the good artists from that sect seemed to die off, typically from drug/emotional issues.  To me, a Rock god is someone that it is not only talented, but can stand the test of time, both as a musician and as a person.

(Yeah, I know, a lot of people are going to point to artists like Jimmy Hendrix and Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, but who knows what they could have shown the world through their talents if they had only been stronger humans.)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 10:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is why I chose to ambiguously choose a random era starting with the 90's and beyond, in my earlier post.  Heck, I'm old.  Born in '69, I grew up on the real rock gods.  The reason I chose the 90's as a starting point for what I consider "modern" era, is that so much was changing in that time period.  A lot of styles that used to be the norm were getting pushed aside in favor of "new flavor".  For example, the grunge movement was huge, took the Nation by storm.  However, seems most of the good artists from that sect seemed to die off, typically from drug/emotional issues.  To me, a Rock god is someone that it is not only talented, but can stand the test of time, both as a musician and as a person.

(Yeah, I know, a lot of people are going to point to artists like Jimmy Hendrix and Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, but who knows what they could have shown the world through their talents if they had only been stronger humans.)
To be honest Slash is one of the few who is not only still around, but making music with others.

Isn't it quite odd that guys like Slash and Grohl surpassed even their notorious frontmen in overall fame?

Of course Cobain died, but I'm not quite sure he could have held lasting fame had he not.

Reznor still wins awards and makes music but he's kind of a low key guy when it comes to overall exposure.

Marilyn Manson's run was very short even though how huge he was.

Morello is so unique that I consider him to be a "modern" guitar legend.  But that's the musician in me.

No way I think he's as household known in rock as Slash.  Even though he is much more original.

Rob Zombie is someone that immediately is recognizable as well. 

Cornell was held in high regard from that era but it wasn't like he projected into God type status universally until his death.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 10:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: To be honest Slash is one of the few who is not only still around, but making music with others.

Isn't it quite odd that guys like Slash and Grohl surpassed even their notorious frontmen in overall fame?

Of course Cobain died, but I'm not quite sure he could have held lasting fame had he not.

Reznor still wins awards and makes music but he's kind of a low key guy when it comes to overall exposure.

Marilyn Manson's run was very short even though how huge he was.

Morello is so unique that I consider him to be a "modern" guitar legend.  But that's the musician in me.

No way I think he's as household known in rock as Slash.  Even though he is much more original.

Rob Zombie is someone that immediately is recognizable as well. 

Cornell was held in high regard from that era but it wasn't like he projected into God type status universally until his death.

I can consider Slash a modern Rock god, even though his biggest commercial exposure was in the 80's.  Same with Reznor.  Rob Zombie is fantastic, but did he quit producing albums?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 10:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can consider Slash a modern Rock god, even though his biggest commercial exposure was in the 80's.  Same with Reznor.  Rob Zombie is fantastic, but did he quit producing albums?

IMO he stopped producing good ones after his first solo one.  Anything he's done that I've heard since then seem like he's mailing it in.  He's a cultural figure of note, but I'm not sure he's an icon.  He's made some okay to terrible movies, was in an okay band once and seems like a cool, likable guy who's good at marketing himself and his image.  Hell, I'd put Danzig ahead of him and Manson in terms of horror-metal legitimacy and talent.  He invented the genre with the Misfits and evolved to makes a few pretty good records with the early Danzig lineup.

Unfortunately he's a raging dick and can no longer sing/write good music.  Not an icon, not a god, but still more deserving and overall influential than many.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2018, 11:40 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I just threw up a little in my mouth.....

Kid Rock will never be a rock god in this household.  Sure he had 4 or 5 good songs but after that it’s all garbage.   Sorry Sunset, I can kind of see your point but Steven Tyler is still around. The Stones are still around.  Hell, Cheap Trick is still kicking out new music. I’ll take any one of them over KR.

Kid Rock is flaming dogshit.  He was gimmicky and stupid when he came out with the whole rap-rock wave in the late nineties, and he's a hack as a country/southern rock artist.  Without his persona and established fame, he wouldn't be fit to play a bar in Nashville on a Tuesday night.  He's a walking beer commercial and nothing more.  

I won't lie, I've always hated his guts since I first heard him play Warped Tour in Cleveland in 1998.  They booed his ass right off the stage that afternoon.  Unlistenable, and that's saying something at a punk rock festival.  

The moment my hate for him was solidified, however, was when he made that "All Summer Long" abortion.  Make shitty music if you want.  Hell, get rich doing it if you can get away with it.  More power to you.  Just don't water down two classic songs in the process and act like you're talented for doing it.  He should have had his nuts cut off and rammed up his colon for that transgression.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 11:31 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Mellow

You're joking, right? 2 of the most overrated, over-exposed musicians of the past 30 years.

Metallica, yes, 100%.

EDIT*: Yes, you said, "maybe," that's true.

Well I don’t know if they’re over rated. They’re certainly rock stars. They meet much of the criteria to be God’s. But I don’t know if they are. John Frusciati is probably a god to many. He deserves to be in the conversation. I’m certainly no fanboy of rhcp but I respect them.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 12:37 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: My rock gods will probably be vastly different than most people, but here goes.

Aaron Lewis
Ben Harper
Corey Taylor
Dave Matthews
Eddie Vedder
Dave Grohl
John Butler
Lenny’s kravitz
Les Claypool
Marilyn Manson
Rob Zombie
James Maynard Keenan from Tool
Jeff Tweedy from Wilco

Good call. I’d say to many established & aspiring rockers, he’s a god, much like Frusciati from RHCP. But I just don’t know if either of these guys are in general — in a traditional sense, a la Robert Plant & the like.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 02:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Tedeschi/Trucks is awesome.

Going to go see them July 22nd with "Marcus King" warming up as well as "Drive by Truckers." at Riverbend.

Off subject but just got my tickets to the "As the Crow Flies" show in Lexington which is going to be good as well. 

It is basically the Black Crows tour featuring 4 members of the Black Crows and Marcus King on guitar along with Tony Leone on drums. 

First time in years Chris Robinson has sung the Black Crow songs too. 

Looking forward to both shows. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 12:40 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Going to go see them July 22nd with "Marcus King" warming up as well as "Drive by Truckers." at Riverbend.

Off subject but just got my tickets to the "As the Crow Flies" show in Lexington which is going to be good as well. 

It is basically the Black Crows tour featuring 4 members of the Black Crows and Marcus King on guitar along with Tony Leone on drums. 

Are you a fan of Cry of Love?

Their career was short but they put out some real good music.

Audley Freed was the guitar player for the band.  He later joined the Black Crowes for a while.

If you don't know them, they put out two albums, and each had different singers.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 12:40 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Going to go see them July 22nd with "Marcus King" warming up as well as "Drive by Truckers." at Riverbend.

That's killer.....Riverbend has great shows.

Yes, I'm very familiar with As the Crow Flies.....and have caught the Chris Robinson Brotherhood at Bourbon and Beyond this past summer.  Hell, I thought the Dead had taken the stage when they came on.  I really dig their music.  Very chill.....and just like the Dead.....their live stuff is the best.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 12:23 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Well I don’t know if they’re over rated. They’re certainly rock stars. They meet much of the criteria to be God’s. But I don’t know if they are. John Frusciati is probably a god to many. He deserves to be in the conversation. I’m certainly no fanboy of rhcp but I respect them.

I think John, Flea and Chad are all legit serious musicians.  They have several songs that I like.  Flea may be a bit overrated, but to be fair, he's been treated like the god of bass for over two decades.  Hype has fed his legend quite a bit, so it's expected that it would be a bit inflated.  That doesn't mean he's not great.  It just means that people who don't necessarily know what they're talking about refer to him as the greatest bassist around by default.  

I think that their downfall is Anthony.  His voice is smooth and listenable, but his lyrics are comically awful in some cases.  He's def getting by on his reputation.  I'd be embarrassed to sing some of that shit, unless I was becoming a multi millionaire doing it, in which case I'd do what he's doing and keep at it.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 09:28 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Are you a fan of Cry of Love?

Their career was short but they put out some real good music.

Audley Freed was the guitar player for the band.  He later joined the Black Crowes for a while.

If you don't know them, they put out two albums, and each had different singers.

No but am going to listen to them tonight on lunch break. 
Thanks

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 09:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's killer.....Riverbend has great shows.

Yes, I'm very familiar with As the Crow Flies.....and have caught the Chris Robinson Brotherhood at Bourbon and Beyond this past summer.  Hell, I thought the Dead had taken the stage when they came on.  I really dig their music.  Very chill.....and just like the Dead.....their live stuff is the best.

Wanted to go to Bourbon and Beyond and the Bacon one one as well.

BUT work 2nd shift and have to work every other weekend. 

Of course they land on my weekend to work. Plus my hospital has a stupid rule that you can not take vacation days on weekends to work. 

Because they know we have so many PTO days that nobody would be at work on their weekend

Knew it would be a great show though. 

This show will be different and feature mostly Black Crow songs that he quit singing

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 12:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wanted to go to Bourbon and Beyond and the Bacon one one as well.

BUT work 2nd shift and have to work every other weekend. 

Of course they land on my weekend to work. Plus my hospital has a stupid rule that you can not take vacation days on weekends to work. 

Because they know we have so many PTO days that nobody would be at work on their weekend

Knew it would be a great show though. 

This show will be different and feature mostly Black Crow songs that he quit singing

Yeah, for the life of me, I never could figure out why he totally abandoned those songs.  Maybe he didn't want to play them without the guys from the band, and his Brotherhood is a totally different direction....more jam band than anything.  They are good.

Bourbon and Beyond was excellent.  CRB, Buddy Guy were worth the price alone....and Kenny Wayne knocked it out of the park as usual, with Buddy Guy joining him for a few tunes, then he joined SMB.  I was totally floored by Steve Miller though.....damn that guy stole the show.  I always liked him, but man, he is far out live.  That guy can play.  His studio work doesn't really do him justice.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: If we go all time, here's mine:

Billy Gibbons
Freddie Mercury/Brian May
David Gilmour
Jimmy Page
Duane Allman
Dickey Betts
Ronnie Van Zandt
Steve Gaines
Robert Plant
Tommy Iommi
Ozzy
Jerry Garcia
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmy Vaughan
Eddie Van Halen
Angus Young
Bon Scott
Kirk Hammett/Hetfield
Lemmy Kilmiester
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
Pete Townsend/Daltry
Mark Knopfler
Slash
Gregg Allman

Blues Gods:

John Lee Hooker (the boogie beat he came up with is the synthesis of rock n roll)
Buddy Guy
Earl Hooker
Magic Sam
Freddie King
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
Johnny Winter
BB King

Great list brother!

I will say that whenever I hear names like Mercury, Gilmour and Plant...the names Glenn Hughes and Bruce Dickinson always come to mind as well. IMO, they are two of the most underrated rock vocalists of all-time. 
Reply/Quote