Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Super Bowl Caliber Teams Make Excuses Like Bengal Fans?
This season is what it is. A Marvin Lewis led Bengals football team. Everyone has their own justification for what works for them throughout a Bengals season and staying interested(sane).

The thing that i notice is from the beginning of the season its just one excuse after another why this team isn't playing well.

-Its not the offensive line, its how good the defensive line is
-Its last years Super bowl winning team, they are that good even though their rookie QB produced a throwing record against our stout defense
-Its the Steelers, they always get the best of us
-Hey Im not giving up on our O-Line they can do it
-Ok maybe not last week but this week our O-Line can do it (just keep repeating this excuse throughout the remainder of the season)
-Were 3-4, we are going to win the division because Ben is hurt.  (btw have you seen how easy the rest of the Steelers schedule is? And they put up a closer game against the Pats with a backup QB...but then again, that's their excuse!)

Do the top teams in the NFL have as many excuses for why their team doesn't perform up to standards like the Bengals? No, those teams get it done. There are no excuses, every team has injuries, every team has bad calls against them(except the Steelers and thats another thread), every team has rookies who have huge growing pains. Hell every team has a head coach who has been with the same team for over a decade and are 0-7 in the play....ummmm actually scratch that last one.

Bottom line is win. No excuses because if you really believe this team is that good and still "has a chance" to do anything, expect them to step for the rest of this season and prove that they are a top NFL team that can play with the best of them.

Just don't hold your breath
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 04:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: Do the top teams in the NFL have as many excuses for why their team doesn't perform up to standards like the Bengals? No, those teams get it done. There are no excuses, every team has injuries, every team has bad calls against them(except the Steelers and thats another thread), every team has rookies who have huge growing pains. Hell every team has a head coach who has been with the same team for over a decade and are 0-7 in the play....ummmm actually scratch that last one.

Bottom line is win. No excuses because if you really believe this team is that good and still "has a chance" to do anything, expect them to step for the rest of this season and prove that they are a top NFL team that can play with the best of them.

This is total BS.  Every good team that loses a a few makes excuses.  

The Steelers were crying their eyes out when they had a few injuries.

Patriot fans are sure they would be undefeated if they had had Brady for every game.

Aaron Rogers bad season was blamed on the loss of receivers.

Andrew Luck doesn't have an O-line.

Seahawks lost too many key players to free agency.

This thread is a joke.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is total BS.  Every good team that loses a a few makes excuses.  

Patriot fans are sure they would be undefeated if they had had Brady for every game.

This thread is a joke.

Yes. I remember last year when i think it was the dolphins, they beat the pats. Pats fans were livid, saying it was all on bellicheck. Some fans wanted him gone...
Reply/Quote
And EVERY team's fan base bitches about the refs....
Reply/Quote
Didnt even have to read the thread to rep you. The question warrants points in itself.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is total BS.  Every good team that loses a a few makes excuses.  

This thread is a joke.

Excuses to so you can continue to excuse. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 06:42 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Excuses to so you can continue to excuse. 

I have no idea what this even means.

Call them "excuses" or "reasons" but the fact still remains that every fan base relies on them to explain losses.  

You seriously believe that no one but Bengal fans blame refs for losses? Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 07:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea what this even means.

Call them "excuses" or "reasons" but the fact still remains that every fan base relies on them to explain losses.  

You seriously believe that no one but Bengal fans blame refs for losses? Hilarious

It means you're complaining about other teams making excuses so that you can.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 07:29 PM)Fresno B Wrote: It means you're complaining about other teams making excuses so that you can.

I am not complaining about anything except the OP telling a flat out lie.

All fan bases do the dame thing.  Godfather was full of crap to claim other wise and I called him out on it.

The funny thing was that you actually gave him rep points for telling such a huge lie.
Reply/Quote
Do we really make all that many excuses?  Usually I just see people making observations and trying to back up those observations with stats or conjecture.  I'd say that a lot of the commentary on here has at least some basis in reality, especially the people who say stuff like "this team has a great core but due to reason x they can't put it together against the best teams in the best moments because..."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 04:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: This season is what it is. A Marvin Lewis led Bengals football team. Everyone has their own justification for what works for them throughout a Bengals season and staying interested(sane).

The thing that i notice is from the beginning of the season its just one excuse after another why this team isn't playing well.

-Its last years Super bowl winning team, they are that good even though their rookie QB produced a throwing record against our stout defense
-Ok maybe not last week but this week our O-Line can do it (just keep repeating this excuse throughout the remainder of the season)
-Were 3-4, we are going to win the division because Ben is hurt.  (btw have you seen how easy the rest of the Steelers schedule is? And they put up a closer game against the Pats with a backup QB...but then again, that's their excuse!)

Do the top teams in the NFL have as many excuses for why their team doesn't perform up to standards like the Bengals? No, those teams get it done. There are no excuses, every team has injuries, every team has bad calls against them(except the Steelers and thats another thread), every team has rookies who have huge growing pains. Hell every team has a head coach who has been with the same team for over a decade and are 0-7 in the play....ummmm actually scratch that last one.

Yes and there's no more room for excuses. It's time to get it done !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 04:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: This season is what it is. A Marvin Lewis led Bengals football team. Everyone has their own justification for what works for them throughout a Bengals season and staying interested(sane).

Sounds like you have your own excuse already.
Reply/Quote
I remember a couple of years back a 49ers fan was telling me how you should settle for nothing short a Superbowl win. Which I agree, however the other side of that is, this was right when the 49ers were getting rid of Jim Harbaugh and that hasn't worked out so great for them. I guess my point is, yes things can be worse and there are 31 teams that aren't winning the Superbowl in a given year. Blowing up everything and starting over is not always a good idea.

Reply/Quote
Have you even looked at the forums before posting this nonsense? There has been more negativity about this team then in the last 4 years combined. Who is still defending the Oline? People have been crushing the Oline on here. I hardly saw anyone say anything good about the defense after the Denver game or the Cowboys game.

The only excuse I've seen so far that seems out of place is blaming the refs every time we lose.

Tell me, what's the difference between saying "The steelers beat us this week." and "We lost to the Steelers again, they seem to always beat us.".
Apparently having optimism that a team can start to play better means we're making excuses. This is the dumbest thread I've seen in a while.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 07:52 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Do we really make all that many excuses?  Usually I just see people making observations and trying to back up those observations with stats or conjecture.  I'd say that a lot of the commentary on here has at least some basis in reality, especially the people who say stuff like "this team has a great core but due to reason x they can't put it together against the best teams in the best moments because..."

Yeah, i might do the "what if" game sometimes but most everything on here is observations, not excuses.

(10-28-2016, 05:09 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Have you even looked at the forums before posting this nonsense? There has been more negativity about this team then in the last 4 years combined. Who is still defending the Oline? People have been crushing the Oline on here. I hardly saw anyone say anything good about the defense after the Denver game or the Cowboys game.

The only excuse I've seen so far that seems out of place is blaming the refs every time we lose.

Tell me, what's the difference between saying "The steelers beat us this week." and "We lost to the Steelers again, they seem to always beat us.".
Apparently having optimism that a team can start to play better means we're making excuses. This is the dumbest thread I've seen in a while.

Funny enough the guy to first give reps to the OP in this thread has been defending the O-line. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 08:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote:  

Sounds like you have your own excuse already.

That would be fact Jack!
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 06:39 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Didnt even have to read the thread to rep you. The question warrants points in itself.

Exhibit A for fan stupidity.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Absolutely every fanbase pisses and moans about losing. Some more than others... Some more warranted than others.

In any case, I've seen it first hand. I have a big circle of friends and coworkers and just about all of us are fans of different teams. Steeler, Broncos, Patriots, Dolphins, Ravens, Lions, Browns, Bengals, Vikings, Eagles, Bills, Giants, Jets, Redskins... I think that's it.

Sadly the vast majority of them are Patriot fans who swear they were either Pats fans their whole lives or just happened to start watching football when Brady came on board but are likely full of s*** because they became "diehard" Blackhawks fans within the past 3 years but I digress! Ninja

Every time one of their teams loses, the sky is falling. Their team sucks. They've always sucked. They'll never win again. This coach should be fired. Is there an actual quarterback on the roster. What defensive line!? This offensive line is offensive. Wah Wah Wah  Cry

Point is, it's universal. We aren't unique. It's the nature of the beast, "fans" is short for "fanatics" for a reason.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 01:22 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yes. Absolutely every fanbase pisses and moans about losing. Some more than others... Some more warranted than others.

In any case, I've seen it first hand. I have a big circle of friends and coworkers and just about all of us are fans of different teams. Steeler, Broncos, Patriots, Dolphins, Ravens, Lions, Browns, Bengals, Vikings, Eagles, Bills, Giants, Jets, Redskins... I think that's it.

Sadly the vast majority of them are Patriot fans who swear they were either Pats fans their whole lives or just happened to start watching football when Brady came on board but are likely full of s*** because they became "diehard" Blackhawks fans within the past 3 years but I digress! Ninja

Every time one of their teams loses, the sky is falling. Their team sucks. They've always sucked. They'll never win again. This coach should be fired. Is there an actual quarterback on the roster. What defensive line!? This offensive line is offensive. Wah Wah Wah  Cry

Point is, it's universal. We aren't unique. It's the nature of the beast, "fans" is short for "fanatics" for a reason.

I admit that I became a Pats fan when it was clear every success they had caused Steelers fans unbearable agony.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 01:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I admit that I became a Pats fan when it was clear every success they had caused Steelers fans unbearable agony.

That's the one thing I like about the patriots... Although all of the patriot fans in my circle tend to cheer for Pittsburgh whenever they don't play each other. Clearly if Tom Brady never happened they'd be steeler fans. Love my buds but damn they are a bunch of front-running, low self-esteemed, small-d***ed wusses  Smirk
Reply/Quote