Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do The Browns Want Rodgers?
Hard for me to believe that they'd give up on Mayfield when he led them to the playoffs, but that's exactly what Around The Horn was suggesting.

They'd get a Hall of Famer, but why would the Browns give up on a guy that has brought their team out of the sewer and will be their franchise for the next (possibly) 15 years for a guy that could only have three years left?

Would you do it?
Reply/Quote
Not sure Rodgers would agree to the trade. He wants to be closer to the West Coast where his fiancé is and it sounds like for trying to become the next host of Jeopardy.

Honestly, with with he is in his career he could easily do what Palmer did. Say trade me or I retire and force his way to where he wants to be or just go ahead and hang it up. Not much more for him to prove at this point.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hard for me to believe that they'd give up on Mayfield when he led them to the playoffs, but that's exactly what Around The Horn was suggesting.

They'd get a Hall of Famer, but why would the Browns give up on a guy that has brought their team out of the sewer and will be their franchise for the next (possibly) 15 years for a guy that could only have three years left?

Would you do it?

I absolutely would. Good chance Rodgers would win them a Super Bowl (This is assuming I can get him to stay more than a year). Baker Mayfield is a mediocre QB surrounded by elite talent. The moment he hits any kind of roadblock he collapses. Sure you might have a halfway decent QB for the next 15 years, but Rodgers probably gives you a legit shot at a title or two.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:28 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I absolutely would. Good chance Rodgers would win them a Super Bowl (This is assuming I can get him to stay more than a year). Baker Mayfield is a mediocre QB surrounded by elite talent. The moment he hits any kind of roadblock he collapses. Sure you might have a halfway decent QB for the next 15 years, but Rodgers probably gives you a legit shot at a title or two.

Good point but then does all the talent leave after that when Rodgers retires?

I guess it's the question of whether you want a chance at a title for the next two years or fifteen years of being good but never being able to get over the hump?

It kind of reminds me of Dalton's time here...........
Reply/Quote
NO

Baker has managed to do what none of the Bengals QB's have done since 1990, why trade for a malcontent Baker can grow and Rodgers is toward the end.

Why mess with a good thing when the team is doing well and coaches are Great and the front office is adding key players you stay loyal to those who got you there.

Would the Bengals trade Joe Burrow for Rodgers?

(05-04-2021, 10:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hard for me to believe that they'd give up on Mayfield when he led them to the playoffs, but that's exactly what Around The Horn was suggesting.

Would you do it?
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:50 PM)Vambo Wrote: Would the Bengals trade Joe Burrow for Rodgers?

No because Burrow has the abilities to be an all-time great, whereas Mayfield will never be anything more than average.

The Bengals would be throwing away the possibility of an elite future for one year of MAYBE being good, whereas the Browns would be trading away average talent that can be found a lot of places for one or two (maybe more) elite years.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No because Burrow has the abilities to be an all-time great, whereas Mayfield will never be anything more than average.

The Bengals would be throwing away the possibility of an elite future for one year of MAYBE being good, whereas the Browns would be trading away average talent that can be found a lot of places for one or two (maybe more) elite years.

Or the possibility of not being an elite,

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:50 PM)Vambo Wrote: NO

Baker has managed to do what none of the Bengals QB's have done since 1990, why trade for a malcontent Baker can grow and Rodgers is toward the end.

Why mess with a good thing when the team is doing well and coaches are Great and the front office is adding key players you stay loyal to those who got you there.

Would the Bengals trade Joe Burrow for Rodgers?

For one Joe Burrow is better than Baker. Second it's gonna take more than Baker to get the Packers to trade Rogers. The Browns probably wouldn't even have to part with Mayfield in the deal... I'm sure he'd whine about his demotion though. Third... I think the Browns are in the Super Bowl with Rogers under C. I'd trade Burrow for Aaron Rogers if we were close like the Browns are... We're not.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 08:23 PM)jason Wrote:
For one Joe Burrow is better than Baker.
Second it's gonna take more than Baker to get the Packers to trade Rogers. The Browns probably wouldn't even have to part with Mayfield in the deal... I'm sure he'd whine about his demotion though. Third... I think the Browns are in the Super Bowl with Rogers under C. I'd trade Burrow for Aaron Rogers if we were close like the Browns are... We're not.

Baker has set the rookie TD record in the NFL...has Burrow?

Baker has won a playoff game in the NFL...has Burrow?

At this point Burrow is nothing more than potential, he hasn't proven anything in the NFL.

And probably won't be for another 10 years

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 06:03 PM)Vambo Wrote:
Baker has set the rookie TD record in the NFL...has Burrow?

Baker has won a playoff game in the NFL...has Burrow?

At this point Burrow is nothing more than potential, he hasn't proven anything in the NFL.

And probably won't be for another 10 years
PFF Quarterback Rankings: All 32 starters ahead of the 2021 NFL season

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-all-32-starters-ahead-of-the-2021-nfl-season

10. Baker Mayfield, Cleveland Browns

Give Coach of the Year Kevin Stefanski a ton of credit for how he helped set up his quarterback for success. The Browns protected Mayfield early in the season, but when Stefanski opened up the playbook, Baker excelled. He was the second-highest-graded quarterback in the league from Week 7 through the playoffs. He also ranked in the top five from a clean pocket, on standard dropbacks and on early downs for the entire season — all of which are important and stable metrics.

Considering the offensive weapons Mayfield has around him and his offensive line's league-leading 84.4 pass-blocking grade last year, expect him to pick up where he left off for the 2021 season.

18. Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals

Burrow had the fifth-best passing grade (92.5) when targeting throws 10-19 yards downfield, but he ranked 32nd out of 36 qualifying quarterbacks on 20-plus yard throws. He had a passer rating of just 50.8 on those 20-plus yard passes. But the good news is that deep passing can fluctuate from year to year.

The Bengals added some key weapons outside with the addition of Burrow’s former teammate Ja’Marr Chase, who should help with the downfield attack. We still need to see Burrow fully healthy, and the Bengals need to do a better job of protecting him. He showed a lot of promise as a rookie based on the number of snaps he took and the volume of the playbook he was executing.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
While it’s true Burrow hasn’t accomplished anything at the NFL level yet, and Mayfield has, I think it’s pretty clear Burrow’s ceiling is much higher (I would hope even the biggest Browns homer would admit that). Burrow has the potential to be a top 5 QB. PFF predicted he’ll be the 2nd best in the league (after Mahomes) within 5 years. Burrow would absolutely FEAST with Cleveland’s OL and running game. Like, it would literally be ridiculous. Baker otoh I guarantee wouldn’t have been as good as Burrow was last year with a terrible OL, no running game, and Zac Taylor calling plays.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: While it’s true Burrow hasn’t accomplished anything at the NFL level yet, and Mayfield has, I think it’s pretty clear Burrow’s ceiling is much higher (I would hope even the biggest Browns homer would admit that). Burrow has the potential to be a top 5 QB. PFF predicted he’ll be the 2nd best in the league (after Mahomes) within 5 years. Burrow would absolutely FEAST with Cleveland’s OL and running game. Like, it would literally be ridiculous. Baker otoh I guarantee wouldn’t have been as good as Burrow was last year with a terrible OL, no running game, and Zac Taylor calling plays.

Shhhh... PFF preseason rankings, something about a lot of the playbook, and rookie TD record.

Ain't a GM in the league that takes Mayfield over Joe Burrow.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: While it’s true Burrow hasn’t accomplished anything at the NFL level yet, and Mayfield has, I think it’s pretty clear Burrow’s ceiling is much higher (I would hope even the biggest Browns homer would admit that). Burrow has the potential to be a top 5 QB. PFF predicted he’ll be the 2nd best in the league (after Mahomes) within 5 years. Burrow would absolutely FEAST with Cleveland’s OL and running game. Like, it would literally be ridiculous. Baker otoh I guarantee wouldn’t have been as good as Burrow was last year with a terrible OL, no running game, and Zac Taylor calling plays.

Burrow is not as good as Baker right now I could say Baker has the potential to be the Super Bowl MVP but until he does it it's just wishful thinking.

Burrow may not make it a full season with Cincy's Oline.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2021, 08:53 PM)Vambo Wrote: Burrow is not as good as Baker right now I could say Baker has the potential to be the Super Bowl MVP but until he does it it's just wishful thinking.

Burrow may not make it a full season with Cincy's Oline.

Burrow is absolutely already better. Mayfield’s best completion % is 63.8, and he throws a ton of picks when everything around him isn’t perfect. Meanwhile, Burrow was balling out behind a patchwork OL, completed 65.3 % of his passes, had a 1.2 int %, and was in the OROY race until he got hurt. Despite OL issues, and terrible coaching. Like Jason already said, there’s not a GM in the league that would take Baker over Burrow.

And the Bengals OL is much improved (Riley Reiff, Jackson Carman, Frank Pollack). The biggest problems (Bobby Hart, Michael Jordan, Alex Redmond, Jim Turner) are gone or buried on the depth chart. But we’re certainly used to such lazy takes, so I’m not surprised you’re resting your hopes on Burrow going down again. I’d be afraid of him too if I was a fan of another AFC North team...

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2021, 11:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow is absolutely already better. Mayfield’s best completion % is 63.8, and he throws a ton of picks when everything around him isn’t perfect. Meanwhile, Burrow was balling out behind a patchwork OL, completed 65.3 % of his passes, had a 1.2 int %, and was in the OROY race until he got hurt. Despite OL issues, and terrible coaching. Like Jason already said, there’s not a GM in the league that would take Baker over Burrow.

And the Bengals OL is much improved (Riley Reiff, Jackson Carman, Frank Pollack). The biggest problems (Bobby Hart, Michael Jordan, Alex Redmond, Jim Turner) are gone or buried on the depth chart. But we’re certainly used to such lazy takes, so I’m not surprised you’re resting your hopes on Burrow going down again. I’d be afraid of him too if I was a fan of another AFC North team...

Mayfield finished his rookie campaign with 3,725 yards, 27 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions. He had a quarterback rating of 93.7.

Baker lost OROY to Barkley by a thing margin...Baker didn't start the entire season.

A lot of GM's passed on Tom Brady too...

24. Cincinnati Bengals

One of the biggest stories of the offseason was how the Bengals were going to rebuild their offensive line. Since then, they’ve taken a few steps in the right direction.
Left tackle Jonah Williams is the team's best lineman, producing a 70.1 overall grade last year — good for 45th among tackles. He had the 12th-best pass-blocking grade on true pass sets, a great indication of future pass-blocking success, though he ranked just 72nd out of 84 qualifiers in run-blocking grade (53.4).
Cincinnati signed Riley Reiff to a one-year contract to play right tackle, and he should be an upgrade over what the Bengals have had there in recent years. Reiff has earned grades of 69.9 or better in all but one of his nine NFL seasons, and he’s a good fit for the Bengals zone-heavy rushing attack.
Perhaps the most intriguing lineman is second-rounder Jackson Carman, who represents the “other” piece to the decision to draft wideout Ja’Marr Chase with the fifth overall pick. Carman will likely start at right guard after playing left tackle for three years at Clemson. He was a solid college player, grading between 73.0 and 79.2 in all three seasons, and his size and power should play well at guard. The Bengals will also eye starting Carman at right tackle in 2022.
Trey Hopkins returns at center after grading out at 63.8 last season, the 19th-best mark among centers. He’s settled into that grading range over the past three years, so it certainly could be worse. Left guard is a battle between Xavier Su’a-Filo, Quinton Spain and Michael Jordan. Spain has the best grading profile of the trio, though he’s a few years removed from his best work and has graded in the 50.0s in his two years with the Bengals. Either way, left guard looks like a weakness again for Cincinnati.
The Bengals also added tackle D’Ante Smith and center Trey Hill in the fourth and sixth rounds, respectively. It wasn't exactly the offensive line overhaul Bengals fans expected, but they're players who could pay dividends in a few years.

Overall, Cincinnati has moved in the right direction on the offensive line, but they need better play from the interior trio.

Affraid of Burrow Hilarious  good one...he hasn't done anything to be afraid of.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 02:09 PM)Vambo Wrote: Affraid of Burrow Hilarious  good one...he hasn't done anything to be afraid of.

I guess that’s why the Browns took a CB in the 1st round when they already have Ward...because they’re so worried about Lamar’s arm and the corpse of Big Ben, right?

Anyway, you can pretend all you want that teams in the North aren’t afraid of Burrow (especially after adding Chase), but I can promise you one thing....

[Image: ywb.gif]

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 06:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I guess that’s why the Browns took a CB in the 1st round when they already have Ward...because they’re so worried about Lamar’s arm and the corpse of Big Ben, right?

Anyway, you can pretend all you want that teams in the North aren’t afraid of Burrow (especially after adding Chase), but I can promise you one thing....

[Image: ywb.gif]

Hilarious Until burrow actually does something!

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote