Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do We Need More Mixon?
(10-25-2021, 12:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  Didn't you play DB?  If a team only threw the ball 20% of the time did you let your assigned receiver get more separation just because you thought they might not throw the ball?

HORRIBLE COMPARISON AND SHOWS YOUR LACK OF FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE.

A defensive back has completely different assignments.

However, since you brought it up, I played safety usually, and I'd play the run more and wouldn't back pedal as much at the snap in running situations or if it appeared to be a running down.

(10-25-2021, 12:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because sometimes they catch a defense in a blitz.

That is pretty basic football knowledge.  Surprised you did not know that.

Then why would they get by the defensive lineman, too?

Screens are what you're thinking of that typically only work in a blitz.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: HORRIBLE COMPARISON AND SHOWS YOUR LACK OF FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE.

A defensive back has completely different assignments.

Defensive linemen and LBs have assignments just like DBs.  And they have to play the run even if a team is not runnig every play.

(10-25-2021, 12:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: However, since you brought it up, I played safety usually, and I'd play the run more and wouldn't back pedal as much at the snap in running situations or if it appeared to be a running down.

So let me get this straight.  As a safety you did not make a read on a receiver or the QB or another offensive player when the ball was snapped?  Instead you just started backpeddling on "passing downs" and stood flatfooted on "running downs"?

Yeah, you should definitely be the one telling an NFL coach how to scheme.

LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Then why would they get by the defensive lineman, too?

Uh, maybe because the defensive linemen are being blocked?

Draws are most successful when LBs are out of position due to blitzing.  But you still have to block the D-linemen.
Reply/Quote
I'll tell you what we need more of...

[Image: Needs-More-Cowbell.jpg?v=637649837041670000]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Defensive linemen and LBs have assignments just like DBs.  And they have to play the run even if a team is not runnig every play.

Wow. You're digging yourself deeper and deeper here.

Why do you think some defensive linemen don't play passing plays? Sam Adams, for example.  

Why do you think some linemen only play passing downs?  

Look at defensive ends and see how they rush further upfield in a pass rush on passing downs.

They don't play the run as much if a team doesn't run the ball as much.

(10-25-2021, 01:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So let me get this straight.  As a safety you did not make a read on a receiver or the QB or another offensive player when the ball was snapped?  Instead you just started backpeddling on "passing downs" and stood flatfooted on "running downs"?

Yeah, you should definitely be the one telling an NFL coach how to scheme.

LOL
You read the quarterback, but, especially in the 90s when it wasn't as pass-heavy, on running downs, you didn't backpedal as fast or as deep at the snap.

You're digging yourself deeper trying to act like I don't know what I'm talking about.  

I'm much, MUCH smarter than you in this aspect.

(10-25-2021, 01:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, maybe because the defensive linemen are being blocked?

Draws are most successful when LBs are out of position due to blitzing.  But you still have to block the D-linemen.

If the linemen weren't in pass rushing mode, they'd be able to stop draws a lot easier but they're rushing upfield and trying to get around the offensive linemen, as opposed to pushing them back or just trying to get penetration to occupy a gap.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:30 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm much, MUCH smarter than you in this aspect.

No you are not.

Everyone is agreeing with (EasyPeasy, KillerGoose, RFaulk34).  Faulk even posted links to statistical proof that you are wrong.  

Just saying you are smart proves nothing.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No you are not.

Everyone is agreeing with (EasyPeasy, KillerGoose, RFaulk34).  Faulk even posted links to statistical proof that you are wrong.  

Just saying you are smart proves nothing.
Yes, I am.

That was the play action aspect, not the fact that we need to establish the run.

Faulk said that defenses respect the run because the threat of the run exists, but if teams know we're not going to run, then the threat isn't there.

Yes, we had a few big runs, but we didn't run enough to keep their pass rush at bay.

Why do you think the Patriots lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl after going undefeated in the regular season? It's because they didn't respect the Pats' run game and just teed-off in the pass rush.
Reply/Quote
Children please
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 06:09 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was upset that we didn't use Mixon more early, especially with how much they were blitzing and how often Burrow was getting him.

Mixon's a playmaker, but he also can help neutralize the pass rush and keep them in check, especially with our line struggling to protect Burrow.  

I'm not saying that we need to come out and run the ball into the dirt, but we only ran him once on the first drive twice the second drive, and none the third drive.

We won, but Burrow got killed. We need to establish the run game, especially with runners like Mixon and then also Perine.

It will get cold in Cincinnati, making it harder to throw, and we'll also need to control the game more when there other team's offense is clicking better than the Ravens were today.

Think Taylor sees it or am I wrong?
You are wrong. 

Baltimore most of the game had EVERYBODY on the D LINE in the 1985 Bears Defense to stuff the run and clobber Burrow.   

However as game went on, Burrow escaped the pass rush to find tight end Uzomah wide open for a long touchdown pass. 

Then Burrow escaped the rush again and hit tight end Uzomah for another wide open long touchdown pass 

Then Burrow escaped again and flipped the ball to Chase, and once Chase avoided a tackle, a long touchdown pass run. 

So Baltimore OVER PLAYED THE RUN and THE QUARTERBACK RUSH.  Baltimore many times had 11 men on the Line of scrimmage like the old 1985 Bears.  This is why Mixon was shut down most of the game.  That Defense would have beat most teams.  Bengals burned it for 3 long touchdown passes, because once you get past those 11 defenders all on the line to stuff Mixon and Burrow, there is nobody back to tackle Uzomah or Chase. 

Then late in 4th quarter the Ravens changed Defenses, and dropped more players in pass coverage, and that's when Mixon and Perine scored.  

You take what the Defense gives you, and Ravens most of the game had the entire Defense up to stop the run and also clobber Burrow.  However putting EVERYBODY on the D Line was how Ravens got burned.  Oh, yes, they stuffed Mixon most of the game and laid a lot of shots on Burrow, but those 3 times Burrow escaped and hit the open man killed the Ravens, because Ravens had NOBODY back to tackle once Uzomah and Chase were past 11 on the line.   That is the danger of playing The 1985 Bears Defense and putting all 11 Defenders up on the D Line.  I saw Joe Paterno at Penn State Over Play the Run many times also.  If you can get the ball to a receiver, over all those defenders up on the line, it just kills that Defense.  

So Coach Taylor and Joe Burrow did it PERFECT.....and THAT is how you beat that type Defense the Ravens were in to stuff Mixon and clobber Burrow. 

Now had The Bengals ran Mixon all day into Ravens in that Defense of everybody up to stuff the run and clobber Burrow, The Ravens would have won 40 to 0......When a team goes into The 1985 Bears Defense, you can not run. The ONLY way to beat it is to go Dan Marino, and THAT is what Bengals did.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 03:40 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Faulk said that defenses respect the run because the threat of the run exists, but if teams know we're not going to run, then the threat isn't there.

So if the Bengals ever play a game where we never run the ball once I will agree with you.

Until then you are just wrong.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 11:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So if the Bengals ever play a game where we never run the ball once I will agree with you.

Until then you are just wrong.

Ha. You really don’t understand football.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Ha. You really don’t understand football.

Every game I have watched we have ran the football multiple times.  So since you are the expert tell me exactly how and when a team can tell we are not going to run the football.

I am not talking about empty backfield plays.  I want to know when a team can ignore the possibility of a run when they play the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 01:03 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'll tell you what we need more of...

GOOD ONE..I WAS JUST THINKING THIS AND I SCROLLED DOWN AND GOT A GREAT LAUGH TODAY
THANK YOU

[Image: Needs-More-Cowbell.jpg?v=637649837041670000]
Reply/Quote
So, in the pre-game, Kurt Warner and Michael Irvin were talking about the Cowboys "triplets" and comparing them to the Bengals.

Irvin says he and Smith would always talk and say, if the were shutting down the pass - smith would make them regret it. If they were shutting down the run, Irvin would take advantage.

That's all that was happening. We have options - use the one that's working.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every game I have watched we have ran the football multiple times.  So since you are the expert tell me exactly how and when a team can tell we are not going to run the football.

I am not talking about empty backfield plays.  I want to know when a team can ignore the possibility of a run when they play the Bengals.

They can’t ignore the possibility of a run but their coordinators call defenses that don’t have to account as much for the possibility of and then the defenders also didn’t have to worry about the run, which is why Burrow got hit a lot and had a lot of pressure in his face.
Reply/Quote
Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 12:47 PM)Canada_guy Wrote: So, in the pre-game, Kurt Warner and Michael Irvin were talking about the Cowboys "triplets" and comparing them to the Bengals.

Irvin says he and Smith would always talk and say, if the were shutting down the pass - smith would make them regret it. If they were shutting down the run, Irvin would take advantage.

That's all that was happening. We have options - use the one that's working.

yep and Michael Irvin was saying how this Bengals team reminds him of the dynasty he played on too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote