Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do We Need a Center?
Hopkins has been solid for sure, but his injury could be an issue. He's a big man, and he will have to work hard to get back to 100%. Price on the other hand was terrible at G, but when he got time playing C he looked way better in my eyes. I would still look to upgrade. In fact I'm with whoever said an upgrade at all OL positions with the exception of Williams. That would be fine by me. But it may end up that Billy Price playing under Pollack finally lives up to his draft status and becomes a very good C. Its possible.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 11:41 AM)spazz70 Wrote: The thing is in that thread you were defending a 4th unproven Center.  So, did the Bodine experience change you thoughts about this or were you just really high on Bodine?

I was not saying Bodine was good.  I was just saying it was too early to write him off.  And even though he did not work out that did not change my mind about judging a player based just on his rookie season.  There are way too many examples of very good NFL players who did not look good their rookie season.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 01:02 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hopkins is decent, maybe even above average at times, but hasn’t been a world beater by any means. Tearing his leg up late in the season means he most likely won’t be 100% until a few weeks into the season.

Is now a good time to replace him with a veteran center? I saw there is a chance the Pack releases Corey Linsley who I believe played very well in recent years... maybe there are other guys available too.. I honestly haven’t looked into it much.

What do you guys think? Are we in the market for a center? I hope so.

Thank you GCB. Been thinking of starting a thread about getting a Center for awhile now, just didn't get around to it.

I mentioned Alex Mack as he is older and would be cheap but Linsley would definitely be ideal. Nice thread man.

Price has been a bust so far, I don't trust him manning the spot while Trey Hop is out.
Reply/Quote
We have so many holes on the roster it dosen't make sense to me to invest more resources at a position were ok at. I'd rather upgrade at both guard spots and RT then center. Hopkins is only 28, playing on a good contract and is a solid player when healthy. Price is a 1st round pick in his 4th year he can hold the fort down until Hopkins returns. Upgrade the guard position and Jordan can be Price's backup until Hopkins comes back he played center at Ohio Sate.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 11:42 AM)lone bengal Wrote: We have so many holes on the roster it dosen't make sense to me to invest more resources at a position were ok at. I'd rather upgrade at both guard spots and RT then center. Hopkins is only 28, playing on a good contract and is a solid player when healthy. Price is a 1st round pick in his 4th year he can hold the fort down until Hopkins returns. Upgrade the guard position and Jordan can be Price's backup until Hopkins comes back he played center at Ohio Sate.

It is possible to upgrade the guard position and still get a serviceable center as well. You said it yourself, solid when healthy... he ain’t healthy. Price is a liability out there.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 12:55 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It is possible to upgrade the guard position and still get a serviceable center as well. You said it yourself, solid when healthy... he ain’t healthy. Price is a liability out there.
It's possible to do both I just put it low on the priority list.  Lawson and Jackson are both free agents , plus Hubbard and Bates contracts are coming up. We need to upgrade the guard positions, RT and we only have Wayne's and Phillp's under contract at CB, plus if we cut Geno we have a need at pass rushing DT and need a WR with speed. Price is a train wreck at guard lol but I think he can be ok at center until Hopkins returns. Not saying anyone's wrong this is just my personal preference. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2021, 10:08 AM)Synric Wrote:
Honestly I would like to see what Hopkins looks like with solid Guard play next to him but would look to add a center in the draft for G/C competition.

This.  I don't think he gets near the credit given the revolving door that was next to him at Guard (both).  The scheme has changed a few times, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire when Pollack was last here as his offensive line coach (PFF rating of 60.0 in 2018).  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 10:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  I don't think he gets near the credit given the revolving door that was next to him at Guard (both).  The scheme has changed a few times, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire when Pollack was last here as his offensive line coach (PFF rating of 60.0 in 2018).  

Didn't see that Lindsay Patterson post until now. That is great news if Trey Hop will be ready by camp.

Makes my concern over Center much less concerning. Hopkins IS a top Center in pass protection, he just needs to get better
in the running game and I think like you say with better Guard play on both sides of him he should improve big time.
Reply/Quote