Poll: Do you text while you drive?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Do You Text And Drive?
When I'm out on the corner waving and blowing kisses to cars, I see so many people texting and driving and it bugs me so much because you're saying that sending a text message is more important than the people's lives who are in cars around them.

"I'm only looking down for less than a second."

You have less time than that to react if someone breaks in front of you or anything else that requires you to react.

Think of how childish that is that sending a meaningless text is more important than making sure you don't wreck into someone, potentially harm them, damage their car, and potentially harm anyone that trusted you to drive them.

Statistics are showing just how dangerous it is:

Quote:-Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
-1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
-Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.

1 in 4, and I'm sure the number is actually higher from people lying when they get into wrecks.

It makes you 6 times more likely to wreck than drunk driving. Think about that: you tell your kids or friends not to drink and drive and how stupid it is, but you do something 6 times more likely to be in a wreck if you text and drive.

Be honest, do you text and drive?
Reply/Quote
No. Never.

I don't even answer calls.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
If I'm being honest? In rare cases I have. But I mostly use android auto to send voice-to-text messages.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
only rarely if needed... I usually try and wait till a stop light or stop in traffic before trying to text. even my wife knows i wont respond if driving

I used to be able to text while driving when phones had actual buttons lol... but now you gotta look

But on the same token i see people not only texting on their phones but watching TV and movies on them while driving. also seen reading newspapers... (i was baffled)
Reply/Quote
I might try to squeeze out a one or few word response at a stop light, but while actually driving? Forget it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 02:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I might try to squeeze out a one or few word response at a stop light, but while actually driving? Forget it.

Same here. If moving, it would be the end of me and probably others. Not a good idea.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 02:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: only rarely if needed...  I usually try and wait till a stop light or stop in traffic before trying to text.  even my wife knows i wont respond if driving

I used to be able to text while driving when phones had actual buttons lol... but now you gotta look

My first state-issued phone a couple years ago was a flip one. Hadn't used a flip phone in well over 10 years. Trying to send texts was brutal and I couldn't help but marvel that there was once a time that I could text just as fast using the number pad. Thank god they got me an iPhone last year LOL 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 02:49 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Same here. If moving, it would be the end of me and probably others. Not a good idea.

I used to not thing much of it, until I became a surveyor.  Having to survey in town or along highways is seriously dangerous.  I'm going to estimate that at any given time 4 out of 10 drivers will have a cell phone in their hand while driving, and that's not counting the ones who are busy messing with their built in touch screens in their vehicles.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 01:43 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: No. Never.

I don't even answer calls.
The friend I hang out with about every day used to text non-stop while we he was driving me in my crippled van, which worried me but he always just blew it off when I'd tell him to stop. My van doesn't have a lock to hold my power wheelchair in, so if he wrecks while I'm sitting in my wheelchair, I'm probably out the front windshield or at least up against the dashboard.

One night a few months ago, he was texting someone, which only looks down at his phone for a second at a time, but I was watching his eyes in the rearview mirror while also keeping an eye on the road. As soon as he looked down, the car in front of us braked and I yelled in panic mode. Luckily, he hit the brakes and we ended up missing them by a foot, but my communication device was thrown off my lap and hit the dashboard and my wheelchair slid up and I was thrown up against the seat.

I told him I'm not riding with him anymore if he texts and he has gotten better about it.

I appreciate you not doing it.
(02-22-2024, 02:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: only rarely if needed...  I usually try and wait till a stop light or stop in traffic before trying to text.  even my wife knows i wont respond if driving

But on the same token i see people not only texting on their phones but watching TV and movies on them while driving.  also seen reading newspapers...  (i was baffled)
Rock On
(02-22-2024, 02:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I might try to squeeze out a one or few word response at a stop light, but while actually driving?  Forget it.
You're a good man. People are so stupid these days. They can't a minute until they're at a stop sign or traffic light or, better yet, wait five or ten minutes until they get where they're going.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 02:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I might try to rub one out at a stop light

Fixed it for ya.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 06:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Fixed it for ya.  Ninja

Kids, do you know what it means when HarleyDog grabs onto your leg and rubs up and down??  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 07:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Kids, do you know what it means when HarleyDog grabs onto your leg and rubs up and down??  Ninja

you have treats in your pocket? lol
Reply/Quote
Nope. My phone never leaves my pocket when driving. I can do everything needed via voice with Carplay and I don't even like doing that unless I have to.

I got behind some guy the other day that wasn't texting but I could clearly see he was holding his phone and talking. He was driving way under the speed limit and could barley stay in the proper lane. Unfortunately it was on a road where I couldn't pass him because I didn't want to be anywhere near him. So I kept a safe distance and figured if he crashed at least my dash cam would have the evidence.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Never, that is as bad as drunk driving. Have to think about everyone around you. You are driving a weapon for heck sake.

I worked for a guy who always texted while driving and had to tell him off about it, he was risking his life, mine and everyone on the road.

Just insane. The dumb phones now a days really make human beings look bad honestly. Bunch of zombies.

I use my phone to do business and read up on my Bengals but that is about it and make sure I am never driving when I text.

Wish everyone would do the same.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2024, 10:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Never, that is as bad as drunk driving. Have to think about everyone around you. You are driving a weapon for heck sake.

I worked for a guy who always texted while driving and had to tell him off about it, he was risking his life, mine and everyone on the road.

Just insane. The dumb phones now a days really make human beings look bad honestly. Bunch of zombies.

I use my phone to do business and read up on my Bengals but that is about it and make sure I am never driving when I text.

Wish everyone would do the same.

I agree with everything and I appreciate that you don't text and drive. 

The friend I told the story about drove me to my presentations up in Cincinnati today (Anderson) and didn't text at all, which I appreciated. I guess he figured it's better than losing a friend over, even if he still does it on his own (I hope he doesn't).

I agree about making people into zombies and I also think that's why suicide rates are so high because kids and adults never develop any true personal skills so they always feel alone and they just see the glamour of ads and happy posts on social media and think their life sucks. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2024, 11:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree with everything and I appreciate that you don't text and drive. 

The friend I told the story about drove me to my presentations up in Cincinnati today (Anderson) and didn't text at all, which I appreciated. I guess he figured it's better than losing a friend over, even if he still does it on his own (I hope he doesn't).

I agree about making people into zombies and I also think that's why suicide rates are so high because kids and adults never develop any true personal skills so they always feel alone and they just see the glamour of ads and happy posts on social media and think their life sucks. 

Yep, not a coincidence the people that cannot live without their phones usually have mental problems...

And they are all around us lol

Scary ha ha Freakout
Reply/Quote