Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do fans realize Rams offense was run first?
You have to look at it like this...TJ Hockenson an inline TE-Y went top 10. Hes a great blocker that produced as an underneath receiver in a pro system. Noah Fant is your prototypical receiving TE with amazing athleticism but he also has some blocking experience in a pro system.

Drew Sample went at the bottom of the second as a great blocker in the run and pass in a pro system and showed some upside as an underneath receiver through the draft process...At the top of the 3rd you have Josh Oliver that is a receiving TE but needs to show he can become a move blocker.

It's does your offense need that blocker with upside or that receiver as upside.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1st thing: If you read scouting reports about the vast majority of the top-end TEs in this draft, you'll find that most of them were not great blockers. Most were just guys that excelled in the passing game. Hockenson was an exception, but he's a top 10 player and not a realistic option.

If they wanted a blocking TE as a major priority, then Sample was probably the guy to get, particularly if they felt that other teams were also looking for a player with that skill set. Maybe they jumped the gun, maybe not. I expect a second rounder to contribute immediately on a roster as weak as ours, so we should find out soon. I miss having Reggie Kelly on the team. I like the idea of having a blocking TE that can get you a catch when called upon. Hopefully Sample is that guy.

2nd thing: Let's just agree to stop with the Rams comparisons. The Rams did a lot of stuff that turned out to be successful. We aren't doing the vast majority of these things. We don't have an all-time great DC. We don't upgrade significantly in FA. At best, we may be able to copy some schematic themes. Otherwise, we aren't working within that blueprint.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:31 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Sample could have been drafted in round 5 or 6 it was a stupid pick for a second rounder.  Rest of draft was good but let’s not act like that was a good value pick.

You don't know that.  Sample was going to be picked wherever the team of need found value in him.

Besides, if he eventually becomes a solid NFL starter what does it matter where he was picked?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote