Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do the Bengals Finally Have Their Defensive Coordinator?
I'm not convinced yet, lets see this over the course of 17 games, I haven't been a fan of Lou, I hope he proves me wrong!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I'm happy to see the defense actually playing well, especially against the run.
The return of Tupou and Reader along with the additions of Ogunjobi and Hill have really made a difference.
It just sucks that it's taken Anarumo into his 3rd season to get the defense to this point.

I'm getting closer to saying I was wrong about Anarumo after the abomination he's put out there the previous two seasons, but I'm not ready to say I'm wrong yet because there are still 14 games left to play.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 09:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm happy to see the defense actually playing well, especially against the run.
The return of Tupou and Reader along with the additions of Ogunjobi and Hill have really made a difference.
It just sucks that it's taken Anarumo into his 3rd season to get the defense to this point.

I'm getting closer to saying I was wrong about Anarumo after the abomination he's put out there the previous two seasons, but I'm not ready to say I'm wrong yet because there are still 14 games left to play.

I've said this all along, and even the guys on NFL radio agree, no Defensive Co-Ordinator could have had a successful season last year with all the injuries we had on defense. You have to just write last year off. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 10:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I've said this all along, and even the guys on NFL radio agree, no Defensive Co-Ordinator could have had a successful season last year with all the injuries we had on defense. You have to just write last year off. 

I can understand last year, but 2019 was horrid too.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 10:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I can understand last year, but 2019 was horrid too.

Yes it was, but he was trying to play his system with Marvin's players. They didn't fit. He should have known that, and probably did, so he should have done something different, but at some point he has to implement his system.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes it was, but he was trying to play his system with Marvin's players. They didn't fit. He should have known that, and probably did, so he should have done something different, but at some point he has to implement his system.

That and it was his first time as a DC ever. It'd be like benching Trevor Lawrence because he keeps throwing iNTs and the Jags keep losing. Give him a chance and he might turn into a decent or good or great or elite QB. It looks like Lou is turning into a good DC. Here's hoping he turns into a great one!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 09:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm happy to see the defense actually playing well, especially against the run.

Also Hendrickson is proving to be well worth the $$$. Three games and in two of them we have seen the left side of the opposing OL holding like crazy to keep him back. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: Also Hendrickson is proving to be well worth the $$$. Three games and in two of them we have seen the left side of the opposing OL holding like crazy to keep him back. 

I didn't include Hendrickson because he was basically a replacement for Lawson, who was about the only effective pass rushing DL last year.
But yes, Hendrickson has been solid as well. The DTs have just been that much better compared to last season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: Also Hendrickson is proving to be well worth the $$$. Three games and in two of them we have seen the left side of the opposing OL holding like crazy to keep him back. 

(09-28-2021, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't include Hendrickson because he was basically a replacement for Lawson, who was about the only effective pass rushing DL last year.
But yes, Hendrickson has been solid as well. The DTs have just been that much better compared to last season.

I think Hendrickson was the right choice for the above mentions, but MOST importantly because of the history of injuries. Lawson played great last year but he was out more than in with injuries and he is out for the whole year in New York. Some guys are just prone to constantly being injured. Hendrickson doesn't have that history, and hopefully will remain healthy for us the entire season.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes it was, but he was trying to play his system with Marvin's players. They didn't fit. He should have known that, and probably did, so he should have done something different, but at some point he has to implement his system.

His first year he was not only installing his system but deciding which players fit his system and which players did not.
His second year still installing his system but hampered by tons of injuries. In a way it was a good year for him to evaluate team depth.
This year he is really humming along but will still need to fine tune positions of need like CB.

I would love for Cincinnati's Sauce Gardner to fall to us in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The good news is Lou Anarumo is the real deal. The bad news is he’ll be poached by another team and get a head coach offer he can’t refuse.

Lol...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
They’ve given him what he’s wanted and invested a ton of money on that side of the ball and finally it’s looking promising.
Reply/Quote
Best I recall, there were questions about Carlos' work ethic when he was drafted. I think Geno was just hurt worse than we were led to believe. He's still a FA. Geno is a lunch pail kinda guy, I think had he not been injured, he would've done fine in Lou's defense.

As for Lou, he has definitely improved his unit. I know, excuses, but this defense was decimated by injury/opt outs last year. This year, it's mostly healthy and we're actually seeing his vision for it. I'm not ready to anoint him as the next Buddy Ryan, but he sure seems to be better than we initially thought. If he can finish in the top half of the league by season's end, that's a helluva turnaround from being among the worst ever.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we can get Ricardo Allen back and Waynes actually dressing this might also make QB's hold onto the ball longer as well
resulting in more sacks. Think Hendrickson will start getting more sacks as the year goes on. He was held a lot in the Pitt 
game and it wasn't called. Hendrickson is really disruptive, think good ole Mike Hilton will also add a few sacks and had a 
very good game against his old team. Cam Sample also is starting to come around and Kareem will be back soon.

Saw Hodge also might of got a pressure against Pitt.

You right Nate, they were horse collaring Trey on a few plays I saw that they didn't call. Guy's relentless.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:33 PM)samhain Wrote: IDK about all that.  He's done his job in getting his guys in there by his third year, and he's done wonders drafting linebackers, if he's the one making that decision.  

My only question about Lou is whether or not he can develop young talent to build a defense (outside of linebacker, of course).  His two premier DTs were free agents and one of them was incredibly expensive.  His top DE was another very expensive outside free agent.  His corners, if healthy are  also both outside guys that the team gave big money, as is his nickel corner.  His strong safety is another guy that came from another team as a relatively finished product, albeit being less expensive.  

I've never seen this team give a coordinator the kind of leeway they gave Lou in terms of stockpiling expensive outside free agents to build a defense.  This comes right after Marvin having to dumpster dive for criminals and first round busts for almost 2 decades, with the exception of the semi-annual washed up strong side linebacker veteran.  Most coordinators would kill for the kind of haul Lou got and I'd venture that most would do reasonably well with the players they got to hand pick as proven NFL commodities to fit their system.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did it.  it was the right thing to do if the team was determined to spend all early round picks on offense for 3 years, which they have.  I'm just not sure that other organizations are going to look at Lou and think he's the one to build a team when his best example of success comes after 2 years of loading up on high-end pre-developed talent.  

That's a good point....I don't think they'd be lining up just yet.

Like you said though, they've been largely spending the draft capital on offense, so in order to turn around the defense quickly, they pretty much had to add FAs. The guys leftover were either ageing, or not very good.

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:59 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: After that Athletic article came out about Marvin, it seems like the lackluster additions were Marvin's choices.

Well now, that makes things interesting....

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 01:20 PM)GodFather Wrote: I think Hendrickson was the right choice for the above mentions, but MOST importantly because of the history of injuries. Lawson played great last year but he was out more than in with injuries and he is out for the whole year in New York. Some guys are just prone to constantly being injured. Hendrickson doesn't have that history, and hopefully will remain healthy for us the entire season.

Did you.....did you just jinx us? Nervous

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 06:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Did you.....did you just jinx us? Nervous

Noooooooooooooooooooo LOL
Reply/Quote
Yeah, he’s been a pleasant surprise, but now we’re worried he’s going to get a HC position? Now?

I live for hyperbole and general message board atrophy, but this one is a few parsecs past whimsy.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
They mentioned in commentary during the game that we had spent around $240m on the defence in the last 2 years so I would expect to see a big improvement.
Saying that though I am really enjoying watching the defence again this season instead of jumping behind the sofa every time the opposition plays a run play
Reply/Quote