Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do we have our backup QB?
(12-13-2020, 08:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The one on 4th and 7 that he chucked 8 yards out the back of the endzone was telling.

Total lack of awareness. Even if he throws a pick, it's still just 1st and 10 going the other way. Gotta give your receiver a chance.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 08:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Total lack of awareness. Even if he throws a pick, it's still just 1st and 10 going the other way. Gotta give your receiver a chance.

Almost like this team is unprepared or something...

Unwatchable too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 09:01 PM)jason Wrote: Almost like this team is unprepared or something...

Unwatchable too.

Yep. Fumbles on 3 straight drives, by 3 different players is almost impossible. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Lance throwing some serious shade lol

Reply/Quote
The difference between Ryan Finley and Jake Dolegala is that one had NFL level arm talent and the other one did not. Not surprisingly, the Bengals decided to keep the one without NFL arm talent. The only conceivable way a guy like Finley makes sense as a backup is if you have him solely to help Burrow prepare each week. The Packers have done that over the years with unquestioned starters at QB. Problem is, Finley is also young, so he’s not bringing a wealth of experience to the QB room.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 10:12 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The difference between Ryan Finley  and Jake Dolegala Is that one has NFL level of talent and the other one did not. Not surprisingly, the Bengals decided to keep the one without NFL arm talent.

I wish that they would give Jake a call..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 08:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Total lack of awareness. Even if he throws a pick, it's still just 1st and 10 going the other way. Gotta give your receiver a chance.

(12-13-2020, 10:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wish that they would give Jake a call..

He’s worth a flier. Prototypical size and arm. A good developmental stash that might turn into something decent that would return a draft pick. Zero upside with Thinley. It was a dumb pick then, and hasn’t improved since then.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And the kickoff return td boosts our ppg!
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:26 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Disregard if this has been discussed already. Allen looks like a pretty decent backup. I realize that the Cowboys defense isn't good but Allen has looked good in his games. He's not JB but he's also not Ryan Finley (thank God). I'm thinking that we shouldn't have to invest in a backup in the off season as Allen looks competent enough to backup JB. What say you?

That was what, 6th rated pass d in the league? I thought he had a nice, game manager type game today. That's what you want. He looked much more poised and comfortable, took some nice checkdowns, had a few good intermediate balls, and showed he could run a little. I'd like to see more, but he has definitely progressed in 2 weeks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:49 PM)Benton Wrote: According to sportrac, there's several vets who will be free agents. Not even gonna mention them as I don't want to derail the thread into "what!? You'd sign *******! He's garbage!"

But there's vets and a couple guys who had some flashes on bad teams. I'd grab one of them and keep allen as a third.

Probably the best option, but..... Bengals. 

Reply/Quote
What a difference a couple of weeks make. When I started this thread a couple of weeks ago most everyone was poo pooing Allen as the Bengals backup. But after having a career game against the Texans most want to keep him. FWIW Mo Egger and Tony Pike both said after that game that they weren't ready to award him the backup role yet. They needed to see more. As for me I think he'd be a fine backup which would save us having to draft a QB or spend money for a veteran.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 12:00 AM)BengalRed Wrote: What a difference a couple of weeks make. When I started this thread a couple of weeks ago most everyone was poo pooing Allen as the Bengals backup. But after having a career game against the Texans most want to keep him. FWIW Mo Egger and Tony Pike both said after that game that they weren't ready to award him the backup role yet. They needed to see more. As for me I think he'd be a fine backup which would save us having to draft a QB or spend money for a veteran.

I believe I read where Allen said they emphasized to him to take what's there, and if nothing is there to throw it away rather than risking an interception or sack. He's played much better since then. I think he can fill the #2 position.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:26 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Disregard if this has been discussed already. Allen looks like a pretty decent backup. I realize that the Cowboys defense isn't good but Allen has looked good in his games. He's not JB but he's also not Ryan Finley (thank God). I'm thinking that we shouldn't have to invest in a backup in the off season as Allen looks competent enough to backup JB. What say you?

well how many years do we have allen inked for?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 07:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The real question is wtf was Ryan Finley doing as QB2 coming into the season? ZT should fired for that alone.

Idk if Allen is the answer, but he’s a million x better than that other scrub. He showed a lot of heart today when he was basically playing on one leg. Had a couple nice throws, too.

Yes, this is the real question.

I know Taylor drafted Finley and even traded up for him but this smells of poor judgment shows that Taylor cannot judge QB 
play well nor will admit a mistake and start the better player. Finley is the worst pick we have had in Taylor's time here IMO.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 12:00 AM)BengalRed Wrote: What a difference a couple of weeks make. When I started this thread a couple of weeks ago most everyone was poo pooing Allen as the Bengals backup. But after having a career game against the Texans most want to keep him. FWIW Mo Egger and Tony Pike both said after that game that they weren't ready to award him the backup role yet. They needed to see more. As for me I think he'd be a fine backup which would save us having to draft a QB or spend money for a veteran.

Well, I thought he looked decent after a shaky start, and after reading in here, I thought my eyes were fooling me...lol.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, this is the real question.

I know Taylor drafted Finley and even traded up for him but this smells of poor judgment shows that Taylor cannot judge QB 
play well nor will admit a mistake and start the better player. Finley is the worst pick we have had in Taylor's time here IMO.

It's been floating around on Twitter that Duke Tobin made that call....

As for why Finley was the 2 with Allen here, I have no idea, can only speculate.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 03:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well how many years do we have allen inked for?

He's only inked for one more game.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 03:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well how many years do we have allen inked for?

He signed a one year contract this season, so we would have to resign him. Which I suppose would invalidate my theory that we wouldn't have to sign a veteran. But he surly wouldn't cost as much as a seasoned veteran. Let's hope he has a crappy game against the Ratbirds. LOL.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:27 PM)BengalRed Wrote:  But he surly wouldn't cost as much as a seasoned veteran. 

All of these guys are making less than $2 million this year.

Blake Bortles
Cam Newton
Jameis Winstead
Brian Hoyer
Robert Griffin III
Joe Flacco
Mike Glennon
Chad Henne
Matt Schaub (Yes, I swear to god, Matt Schaub has played this year)
Reply/Quote