Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we live in a Rape Culture?
(05-11-2016, 09:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: Meanwhile page after page of men creating scenarios to "excuse" rape and we told a few men aren't an example of "rape culture".

I admit, I haven't read this whole thread, so can you please just post the different examples of men excusing rape? Since it's apparently a lot, you don't have to list ALL of them. Just 8 or 10 would suffice.

Thanks.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-12-2016, 01:40 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I admit, I haven't read this whole thread, so can you please just post the different examples of men excusing rape? Since it's apparently a lot, you don't have to list ALL of them. Just 8 or 10 would suffice.

Thanks.

Not "excusing" rape.

Making excuses / scenarios where it might not be rape because....no rape culture.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Do-we-live-in-a-Rape-Culture?pid=216045#pid216045

That's just one guy.

I think.

Mellow
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-12-2016, 01:40 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I admit, I haven't read this whole thread, so can you please just post the different examples of men excusing rape? Since it's apparently a lot, you don't have to list ALL of them. Just 8 or 10 would suffice.

Thanks.

Dear lord there will be the longest post in the history of the board with about 50 quotes lol 
(05-12-2016, 01:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: Not "excusing" rape.

Making excuses / scenarios where it might not be rape because....no rape culture.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Do-we-live-in-a-Rape-Culture?pid=216045#pid216045

That's just one guy.

I think.

Mellow

So they are not excusing rape, just making scenarios to excuse rape?

*Insert confused smiley face*
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-12-2016, 03:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So they are not excusing rape, just making scenarios to excuse rape?

*Insert confused smiley face*

Well it should be easy, but then....

No one has said "rape is good" "if rape happens that's ok".  They just keep trying to create scenarios where a rape could happen and saying that it couldn't.  Like if a woman is dressed like a hooker she should be suspect in claiming she was raped.  Or she is probably just ashamed and wants I guess something for having sex.  Or she might be drunk but not "drunk enough".

Which is why on the first page I said:

(05-05-2016, 07:44 AM)GMDino Wrote:  Mellow 

Our legal system takes it very seriously.

"Rape culture" refers to men still thinking a woman is "asking for it" when she dresses the "wrong" way or is too drunk to say no clearly.

ThumbsUp

Hint:  Click on the smiley face to insert them.
(05-12-2016, 04:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well it should be easy, but then....

No one has said "rape is good" "if rape happens that's ok".  They just keep trying to create scenarios where a rape could happen and saying that it couldn't.  Like if a woman is dressed like a hooker she should be suspect in claiming she was raped.  Or she is probably just ashamed and wants I guess something for having sex.  Or she might be drunk but not "drunk enough".

ThumbsUp

That's how I read your interpretation of Phil's post, but I think bfine, like myself, read Phil's post as saying "show me where someone excused when someone is or isn't raped" not "show me where someone said all rape is ok". 

Since I read your post and was able to understand how you read Phil's post (which was different from how I read his post), I didn't question your comment as you still provided what he was asking for.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

ThumbsUp

If anyone said they excuse rape simply because of the way a woman dressed then they are wrong and their mentality is about 60 years behind the times.

The issue is: I said yes, but I wouldn't have if I were sober. If you think that alone is grounds for rape then you are not for equal rights.

(05-12-2016, 05:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If anyone said they excuse rape simply because of the way a woman dressed then they are wrong and their mentality is about 60 years behind the times.

The issue is: I said yes, but I wouldn't have if I were sober. If you think that alone is grounds for rape then you are not for equal rights.

Mellow

What was the original question again?
(05-12-2016, 05:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

What was the original question again?

I really don't know what you are asking here; I simply responded to you evidence of a "rape culture"'. As I said anyone that thinks it is OK (or an excuse) to rape a woman because of the way she was dressed is being absurd (I think you have indicated that there are those in this thread that have done so, or else you are stretching a little bit). Likewise anyone that says a woman can say yes to sex and then come back and say I was raped because if I had been sober I would have said no; as solely the grounds for rape (as I have seen a couple in this thread do) are saying they are against equal rights. 

I am unsure of the "original question" or its bearing on the current discussion. 

As I have further said: Anyone that says we live in a rape culture is ignorant of what a rape culture truly is. 

(05-12-2016, 06:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I have further said: Anyone that says we live in a rape culture is ignorant of what a rape culture truly is. 

The conversation in this thread has gone all over the place. Even though I disagree with some people here about it being okay to take advantage of a drunk woman I have to say that we do not live in a "rape culture".
(05-12-2016, 01:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: Not "excusing" rape.

That's just one guy.

I think.

Mellow

Except that none of those are making excuses for rape. None of the scenarios involved someone being raped. So, obviously no rape culture, but maybe if you keep on saying something false over and over again it might become true. I never seen something come true just by constantly saying it is, but you can keep trying.

And yes, it's just one person.

ThumbsUp

Yes, rape could happen if they don't give consent, but they do give consent in the scenarios. So it doesn't mean that they were raped. Rape could happen every single time someone has sex, but that doesn't mean that there's a rape culture.
(05-12-2016, 06:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The conversation in this thread has gone all over the place. Even though I disagree with some people here about it being okay to take advantage of a drunk woman I have to say that we do not live in a "rape culture".

Who says it's ok to take advantage of anyone? It's not morally right to take advantage of anyone, but taking advantage of people isn't a crime. In fact it happens constantly, and not just when people have sex. People are just saying that taking advantage of someone is rape when it's not rape.
(05-05-2016, 07:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Our legal system takes it very seriously.

"Rape culture" refers to men still thinking a woman is "asking for it" when she dresses the "wrong" way

in other words, acting like muslim men.
(05-12-2016, 05:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If anyone said they excuse rape simply because of the way a woman dressed then they are wrong and their mentality is about 60 years behind the times.

Case in point..Islamic Imams.
(05-13-2016, 12:18 AM)Vlad Wrote: in other words, acting like muslim men.

(05-13-2016, 12:20 AM)Vlad Wrote: Case in point..Islamic Imams.

Mellow

(05-12-2016, 11:55 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Who says it's ok to take advantage of anyone? It's not morally right to take advantage of anyone, but taking advantage of people isn't a crime. In fact it happens constantly, and not just when people have sex. People are just saying that taking advantage of someone is rape when it's not rape.
(05-12-2016, 11:55 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Who says it's ok to take advantage of anyone?

People are just saying that taking advantage of someone is rape when it's not rape.

In my opinion if you admit that you took advantage of a drunk woman to have sex then you are admitting to rape.  This is where we disagree.
(05-13-2016, 09:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In my opinion if you admit that you took advantage of a drunk woman to have sex then you are admitting to rape.  This is where we disagree.

ThumbsUp
(05-13-2016, 09:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In my opinion if you admit that you took advantage of a drunk woman to have sex then you are admitting to rape.  This is where we disagree.

The courts would disagree with you. If they gave consent it's not rape. Some people believe that lying to someone to have sex is taking advantage of someone and is rape. Which isn't rape either. If they give consent it's not rape. If they're passed out or incapacitated then they can't give consent. The court system agrees with me too, and no one else has been able to provide evidence to contradict that.
(05-13-2016, 09:50 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The courts would disagree with you. If they gave consent it's not rape. Some people believe that lying to someone to have sex is taking advantage of someone and is rape. Which isn't rape either. If they give consent it's not rape. If they're passed out or incapacitated then they can't give consent. The court system agrees with me too, and no one else has been able to provide evidence to contradict that.

If a rape culture exists, it will guide the laws through its views. Laws are based on culture and society. I've pointed this out before, and this is what you're missing in your argument. Society guides law. If society and culture has been for years that drunk consent equals consent, then that is what guides the law. For years things like suggestive dress could be used to excuse rape, and society changed their mind on that (or is in the process of doing so, given some of the comments in the thread). Society is changing its attitude on drunken consent. But more importantly, the idea that taking advantage of a drunk person to sleep with them is not rape legally does not refute the idea of a rape culture, it in fact is evidence in favor of one existing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR