Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need Offensive Lineman In The 2023 Draft
(09-26-2022, 05:12 PM)Housh Wrote: Yea lol

We probably gonna need a LT and LG

Still not sold on our RT either.  Now, do we need them in the draft?  Maybe not.  With this window, proven vets might be the best move.  Especially at LT.  Maybe we can offer up Boyd in trade to pry a proven one away from their current squad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tiger
We'll need T/G/C/ RB/LB
In any order that provides best player available.
Reply/Quote
I'm now onboard with the OP. Draft OL and then find bargain skill players in the later rounds. If Burrow can be kept upright and have a clean pocket, then I'll take my chances he can make some late round WRs/RBs/TEs look like amazing players.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:04 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm now onboard with the OP. Draft OL and then find bargain skill players in the later rounds. If Burrow can be kept upright and have a clean pocket, then I'll take my chances he can make some late round WRs/RBs/TEs look like amazing players.

Do you actually trust this staff to select (and especially groom) a proper OL in the draft?
I don't.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2022, 02:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Do you actually trust this staff to select (and especially groom) a proper OL in the draft?
I don't.

Fair question and no, not really.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2022, 02:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Do you actually trust this staff to select (and especially groom) a proper OL in the draft?
I don't.

Jonah is the only good OL that Duke has drafted with Zac and Co. After that, it's Zeitler. You'd think Duke would rip up his evaluation plan and try something new.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 01:23 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Jonah is the only good OL that Duke has drafted with Zac and Co. After that, it's Zeitler. You'd think Duke would rip up his evaluation plan and try something new.

Cordell Volson is looking like a great pick in the mid rounds.

This thread changed after the last couple games where we went to a Power Gap scheme and should stick with it.

Fits the new players we added and Volson clearly. Jonah is hurt right now and playing through it and is our worse OL right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 10:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cordell Volson is looking like a great pick in the mid rounds.

This thread changed after the last couple games where we went to a Power Gap scheme and should stick with it.

Fits the new players we added and Volson clearly. Jonah is hurt right now and playing through it and is our worse OL right now.

...He's still playing below average for a starting OG...

Does that mean I'm looking to replace him with another draft pick? No.
But if a stud OL falls to Bengals in Rd 1 that I feel would immediately be an upgrade? I'd consider adding that player.

There are still two months (longer if playoffs), so Volson might develop into a solid starter by season's end. He's not there yet though, IMO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 10:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cordell Volson is looking like a great pick in the mid rounds.

Which is far too common with him.

He's decent but far from a franchise LT and certainly can be upgraded. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 12:39 AM)puddycat Wrote: The positions that translate best to the NFL are safety, TE, LB, and then OT.  If a TE with 1st round talent "falls" I would be interested, same with a rush LB.  If we draft an OT, draft an LT to play LT or a RT to play RT.  We don't need an extended learning curve on a 4 yr rookie deal. I think it'd easier to draft a pass-blocking OT in round since athletic project OTs get moved up.

legit EDGE rusher and a good starter/backup caliber OT seem to be priorities if picking now. Not knowing how free agency goes and the injuries healing on offseason that may change alot
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 05:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: ...He's still playing below average for a starting OG...

Does that mean I'm looking to replace him with another draft pick? No.
But if a stud OL falls to Bengals in Rd 1 that I feel would immediately be an upgrade? I'd consider adding that player.

There are still two months (longer if playoffs), so Volson might develop into a solid starter by season's end. He's not there yet though, IMO.

Yes especially considering I've heard in several places it's a light Offensive Tackle draft class.

It's a heavy WR and defensive back class though which is good for the Bengals. I really like AT Perry as a Tee Higgins replacement and he's a possible late 3rd... maybe. Air Raid offense will drop him in the draft.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
To answer the OP: No.

We could pick one, surely. But all our OL guys are under contract next year except for Scharping (who is ourmost experienced reserve).

Jonah has been getting better the further he gets from that dislocated kneecap. Volson is improving. As is the line in general. It makes no cap sense to cut any OL player. The only reserve whose contract + dead cap hit minus replacement guy saves us any $$ is Scharping, and he's a FA. Carman is neutral if the rolacement is around $600k.
Reply/Quote
As others have said, it is not a particularly strong OT class, so I doubt a premiere LT is sitting around in the mid-20s or later. A premier RT or IOL guy might be, however. But again, I do not think it is a particularly well regarded draft class for high end OL players.

If we move on from Bates, that $$ plus the cap increase should allow us to bring back the majority of Hurst, Perine, Pratt, Bell, and Apple, IF those deals are reasonable. If one of those guys is too expensive or gets away, I'd expect we draft a replacement.

Hopefully we'll be in BPA mode come April.
Reply/Quote
If nothing else we need depth for our OL.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 03:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: As others have said, it is not a particularly strong OT class, so I doubt a premiere LT is sitting around in the mid-20s or later. A premier RT or IOL guy might be, however. But again, I do not think it is a particularly well regarded draft class for high end OL players.

If we move on from Bates, that $$ plus the cap increase should allow us to bring back the majority of Hurst, Perine, Pratt, Bell, and Apple, IF those deals are reasonable. If one of those guys is too expensive or gets away, I'd expect we draft a replacement.

Hopefully we'll be in BPA mode come April.

I think it's safe and reasonable to budget for $25 mill to spend between Hurst, Bell, and Pratt.
Each one will probably be valued in the $7-10 mill APY range.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
After listening to latest live room on the Athletic, Dehner and Morrison mentioned that we shouldn't be surprised to see the team take an OT to potentially replace Jonah. They made it sound like the team isn't happy with Jonah's development and that a new contract won't be discussed until after next season.

I was surprised to hear that. I figured Zac and Co. were fans of him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 02:45 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: After listening to latest live room on the Athletic, Dehner and Morrison mentioned that we shouldn't be surprised to see the team take an OT to potentially replace Jonah. They made it sound like the team isn't happy with Jonah's development and that a new contract won't be discussed until after next season.

I was surprised to hear that. I figured Zac and Co. were fans of him.

We already picked up his option for next year. Which is over $12 mil. 

However, if I was listing the $10 mil plus guys on the team I think are overpaid, Jonah would be top of the list along with Mixon, BJ Hill, and Boyd (sadly). 

But it is gonna be powerfully hard to land a better LT than Jonah picking 25th all the time. RT, yep. LT? Nope. Unless it is a REALLY deep class. It does happen sometimes, look at Whit. 
Reply/Quote
Any veteran All-pro (or near All-pro) free agent OL in 2023? I'm thinking we need at least an anchor somewhere in there.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:32 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Any veteran All-pro (or near All-pro) free agent OL in 2023? I'm thinking we need at least an anchor somewhere in there.

There's a couple of names that'll be out there, but nobody that would be a major improvement over Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, probably in the 2nd round we should start looking at O-Lineman. In the 1st we should be looking at a pass catcher
whether that be a stud TE like Michael Mayer or Brock Bowers or a WR for the future once Boyd or Tee or both leave.

Everyone knows I love Mater and think that he'd improve the protection for Burrow by giving him a safety net, as well as improving Chase's game by keeping safeties from doubling him.

Because of how poor we've been at drafting linemen, I'd rather just sign free agent linemen who are proven so we don't risk a bust in the first or even a guy that doesn't live up to expectations and sets us back for another four or five years.

We KNOW what we'd be getting with Mayer and how much that will improve our team.
Reply/Quote