Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need a safety net for Eifert?
(01-06-2017, 09:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And...in the 3rd or 4th round, I give you Cole Hikutini.......

That highlight reel doesn't have very many contested catches. Regardless, he has good measurables and seems to have decent hands so I would be pretty happy with the pick in the later rounds.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 03:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I wouldn't say a safety net at TE for Eifert. But I am all for getting a red zone target safety net though whether it's tight end or receiver.
If Hunt could be taught to catch the ball, he would be an "interesting" target in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 06:56 PM)kevin Wrote: If you are asking if we should draft a TE early, I would say heck no, using heck instead of the H word I first thought.....We have used a lot of recent drafts on CB for Joseph, Hall, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson and TE in Gresham and Eifert. ...Looking at the first round there are linebackers this year that have not been there in recent drafts.  We have needed to draft a linebacker and now, this year, Alabama has not one but two good ones experts have as early first round.  We need to take advantage of this rare opportunity to get a quality linebacker, this draft while there are a couple. ........I would hope Eifert isn't that fragile of a TE. Look, even Gronk had injuries at TE of late. I thought Uzomah filled in well. It's not his fault Nugent became so awful. ..........I say no top round CB or TE because we have overlooked other positions in recent drafts.  Mostly linebacker.  You have to go back a ways to Rivers and Maualuga and it shows on the field.  Harrison, Hawk and Dansby were old player band aids due to lack of draft talent at linebacker.  This year when there is top talent, we dare not blow it by passing on linebacker. We also need O line help, but I'm thinking second round there. 
This makes perfect sense. I hope they pick a great LB fairly early - one that is not made of glass.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am liking Roberts more than Hikutini after that bowl game where he did nothing.

Sometimes i think if one guy says a guy has the dropsies people just run with it unfortunately. Thanks for the info on Uzi.

Yeah, pretty much the whole Cardinal team laid down....
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 08:03 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Okay after trying to decipher this wall of posts with lots of random periods in it this is what I got.

Why are we comparing CBs to TEs? 5 CBs in Marvins tenure compared to 2 isn't comparable.

Both Gronk and Eifert are fragile and that's why they brought in Bennet. If it's good enough for the Pats I think it would be a good idea here too.

Uzomah drops too many passes. Maybe he will get better but we saw what it was like without Eifert and it wasn't pretty. I'm not sure how Nugent fits into the equation but sure go blame him for Uzomah's stone hands.

Drafting Rivers didn't help our linebackers and Maulauga has been a mere role player for the team. So those aren't shining examples on why we need to take a linebacker that early in the draft.

You know we actually can use 2 TEs at the same time right? Considering how bad we were in the redzone this year that would be a great help for us.
We need Linebacker and O Line in the draft, not TE.  We are too weak in other areas to draft a top pick TE.   If we draft a top pick TE, we could be looking at a 4 win season.  We have major weaknesses at other positions. Huge major weaknesses. Just because Pollack got injured and Rivers didn't pan out does not mean you never ever again draft a top LB. Either of these Bama LBs would be an upgrade for Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 05:45 PM)Derrick Wrote: This makes perfect sense. I hope they pick a great LB fairly early - one that is not made of glass.

Thank You....You had no problem understanding my post.  The only people that did are those hell bent on drafting a TE early.  If we were solid at all positions I could see drafting a TE to go with Eifert, but we are not solid across the board at all positions, far from it. ....Watch the College Championship Game of Clemson vs Alabama because our top draft pick should be in this game. One of the two top Alabama linebackers or the Clemson WR. I'm hoping for one of the Bama Linebackers. That would be a huge upgrade at LB where we need help desperately.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 08:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, pretty much the whole Cardinal team laid down....

First time i got to see them this year. It was very underwhelming.

You wouldn't of thought their QB won the Heisman from that game.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: First time i got to see them this year. It was very underwhelming.

You wouldn't of thought their QB won the Heisman from that game.

It was their worst game of the year....not sure what Petrino had them doing during the break, but it obviously was not preparing. You should have watched the games where they were hanging 60-70 point on their opponents....
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 03:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It was their worst game of the year....not sure what Petrino had them doing during the break, but it obviously was not preparing. You should have watched the games where they were hanging 60-70 point on their opponents....

Yeah, all i saw was their highlights.

Lamar Jackson is a great athlete no question but his pocket passing sure didn't look too good.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, all i saw was their highlights.

Lamar Jackson is a great athlete no question but his pocket passing sure didn't look too good.

It sucked at the beginning of the season. Petrino ran plays in practice before the season started and every time Jackson took off running Petrino blew the call dead and made him go back and throw it. He's getting better, but his first instinct is to run....
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 05:10 PM)treee Wrote: That highlight reel doesn't have very many contested catches. Regardless, he has good measurables and seems to have decent hands so I would be pretty happy with the pick in the later rounds.  

I think what that shows besides how good his hands are is how good he is at getting separation. (something this team sorely needs). I'm not in the camp that is sold on drafting a TE, as I see other glaring needs, but like I said, if this kid is there in the 4th round, he is a steal.
Reply/Quote
Get a developmental TE in the fifth or sixth, someone like Ceej, who needs to work on their craft but fine-tune something.

Or, with the depth of the draft, you can maybe get someone better at that point. But we absolutely do not need one in the first 4 rounds.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, all i saw was their highlights.

That OL was trash for cardinals at end of year.  No one would have looked good.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 09:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It sucked at the beginning of the season. Petrino ran plays in practice before the season started and every time Jackson took off running Petrino blew the call dead and made him go back and throw it. He's getting better, but his first instinct is to run....

He definately needs to work on his pocket presence.

Damn, did you see Aaron Rodgers last night? That dude is the most impressive QB in the pocket i have ever witnessed.

That one TD to Devontay Adams was INSANE! He held onto the ball for like 12 seconds bouncing around in the pocket
before he tossed that perfect ball to Adams, frickin impressive. Plus his O-line looks really good this year, i am seeing an
upset in Dallas in the making.

(01-09-2017, 10:25 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Get a developmental TE in the fifth or sixth, someone like Ceej, who needs to work on their craft but fine-tune something.

Or, with the depth of the draft, you can maybe get someone better at that point. But we absolutely do not need one in the first 4 rounds.

So deep at TE we could get someone special late.

Just wish we had a better TE coach to coach them up.

(01-09-2017, 10:49 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: That OL was trash for cardinals at end of year.  No one would have looked good.

Definately played a huge part but i saw maybe one good throw from Lamar in that bowl game, like one good pass.

Was not impressed.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 01:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He definately needs to work on his pocket presence.

Damn, did you see Aaron Rodgers last night? That dude is the most impressive QB in the pocket i have ever witnessed.

That one TD to Devontay Adams was INSANE! He held onto the ball for like 12 seconds bouncing around in the pocket
before he tossed that perfect ball to Adams, frickin impressive. Plus his O-line looks really good this year, i am seeing an

Definately played a huge part but i saw maybe one good throw from Lamar in that bowl game, like one good pass.

Was not impressed.

Hikutini's stock dropped, after that bowl game.  CBS now has Roberts rated higher.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I doubt the team is ready to part ways with Kroft or Uzomah.  I really like what I've seen from Uzomah.

same here, Uzomah could turn into something promising. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 01:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hikutini's stock dropped, after that bowl game.  CBS now has Roberts rated higher.

Should. He had atleast one drop in that game and as far as i know, no catches.

I like your guy Roberts much better.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:29 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Obviously he's a top 3 TE when healthy but if we are going to keep him around I think we need a 2nd capable TE much like Martelus Bennet for the Pats. I'm not convinced Kroft or Uzomah are can play that role.

Yes. He's really not all that great outside of the red zone, and can't stay on the field. 
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
If they draft another TE, some dead weight is gonna have to go... Eifert, Uzomah, Kroft, and for all intents and purposes Hewitt.. How many TEs does one team need?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 01:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He definately needs to work on his pocket presence.

Was not impressed.
Man, Aaron Rogers is playing great at the moment. When the Packers won the Super Bowl, they had something like 17 guys on IR... Rogers basically carried them. He's been playing like that again for maybe 2 months now. Dallas beat them earlier, but I wouldn't be surprised if GB upsets them either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote