Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we see starters tonight?
Historically, Marvin Lewis has done what your average coach does with his starters in preseason. Game 1, starters play a series or two and sit. Game 2, starters play the first QTR. Game 3, starters play the first half and the first series of the 2nd half. Game 4, starters play a series or two.

With that said, this has not been a traditional preseason. Game 1 was the usual. But game 2 the starters played almost the first half due to their crappy level of play. Game 3, Dalton played only a series, but I think the rest of the starters only played the first half.

So, does Lewis go back to usual with only a series for the starters? Does he go full on conservative and not even play the starters? Does he try to give Dalton a little more work and give him a couple series?

Thoughts? And what would YOU do in this situation?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I hope not. Keem em' healthy!
Reply/Quote
Marvin said in the pregame (Bears game) interview that the old preseason status quo is over because games are 4 days a week and his team is playing without a lot of break. I doubt the starters are even in for a series.
Reply/Quote
Play the 2nd and 3rd units the entire game, let the starters rest a little and get ready to go into the games that matter at full health.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 12:53 PM)M.W. Wrote: Marvin said in the pregame (Bears game) interview that the old preseason status quo is over because games are 4 days a week and his team is playing without a lot of break. I doubt the starters are even in for a series.

We may see the full starters for a series to make up for Dalton missing last game, then they'll probably keep a few in mostly on the line so they can get a last look at some of those receivers that are in competition for their jobs. Like Alford and Little.

Expect to see nothing but the OC testing guys in situations. Hopefully they won't be so stupid as to test the QB sneak again. That being said I think they have already made up their minds as to who makes the final cut, but they will no doubt want one last look to be sure.
Reply/Quote
If the starters play at all it will only be for a series or two.

But would not be surprised to see many starters not even play at all.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the starters play at all it will only be for a series or two.

But would not be surprised to see many starters not even play at all.

I'm not expecting to see Dalton-Green-Hill at all. 

1st team O- and D-line will take limited snaps. LBs (Rey-AJ-Vinnie) and DBs (Pacman-Hall-Dre) sit.

Then, after the first couple series, the fun begins. Burkhead runs amok. Margus makes his case. Chris Carter leaves with a bloody pelt.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 01:33 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: I'm not expecting to see Dalton-Green-Hill at all. 

1st team O- and D-line will take limited snaps. LBs (Rey-AJ-Vinnie) and DBs (Pacman-Hall-Dre) sit.

Then, after the first couple series, the fun begins. Burkhead runs amok. Margus makes his case. Chris Carter leaves with a bloody pelt.

This I like!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I think McCarron gets a lot of reps...a whole lot of reps....If Dalton stays healthy, it may be last time we see McCarron in 2015. Dalton has started 64 straight regular season games. McCarron needs the work because in 2 years he has only played in 2 preseason games. Dalton may play a series so he doesn't get rusty going into Oakland, but get him out and get McCarron in, and let McCarron play most of the game because he needs the work to catch and be ready if needed this season. You can't worry about McCarron getting injured, he is the back-up and needs to get in much more game time tonight. This isn't college and he needs to learn the NFL on the field. I see not much upside to playing the QB headed to the reserve squad. Play McCarron from the 1st quarter replacing Dalton, into the 4th quarter and replaced by the 3rd stringer late in the fame. McCarron could play 3/4 of the game that way, and he could use more reps, he really could.

Bengals return to Indy where they lost in play-offs in January of this year. I hope it reminds them of how 2014 season ended and ticks them off and makes them hungry and ready for 2015.

Get this game over so the total focus can be on going to Oakland next weekend.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 12:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Historically, Marvin Lewis has done what your average coach does with his starters in preseason. Game 1, starters play a series or two and sit. Game 2, starters play the first QTR. Game 3, starters play the first half and the first series of the 2nd half. Game 4, starters play a series or two.

With that said, this has not been a traditional preseason. Game 1 was the usual. But game 2 the starters played almost the first half due to their crappy level of play. Game 3, Dalton played only a series, but I think the rest of the starters only played the first half.

So, does Lewis go back to usual with only a series for the starters? Does he go full on conservative and not even play the starters? Does he try to give Dalton a little more work and give him a couple series?

I doubt we see all the starters they probly sit dalton to not risk anything Maybe the first string OL for a series. Or at least Bodine to get more reps.

Marvin jones needs reps But AJ Probly sits.

On Defense. if they are already maknig the team sit'em unless they havent had many reps yet and let everyone fight for the depth spots. and let the young guys get reps the more reps the better.
Reply/Quote
I remember being at Game 4 Preseason last year, and no starters played at all. I have a feeling that will be the case again, but we'll see tonight.
[Image: ferris-quote.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No AJ and no Hill because they don't need it.

I might play Dalton a series or two just to get him back into rhythm after leaving so early last week.

On defense, there's no real need unless Atkins wants a series or two just to keep the flow going into next week, so let the young guys make their case.
Reply/Quote
We may see a couple starters in the first series or two that want/need a few more snaps but that's all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 02:11 PM)camman007 Wrote: I remember being at Game 4 Preseason last year, and no starters played at all. I have a feeling that will be the case again, but we'll see tonight.

Best thing about preseason game 4... Is you get to usually see a bunch of guys trying to get their shot in the nfl giving it all they have.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 02:11 PM)camman007 Wrote: I remember being at Game 4 Preseason last year, and no starters played at all. I have a feeling that will be the case again, but we'll see tonight.

You are correct about last year and hope that it is the same tonight.

Take a seat, starters.....we will see you in Oakland.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 12:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Historically, Marvin Lewis has done what your average coach does with his starters in preseason. Game 1, starters play a series or two and sit. Game 2, starters play the first QTR. Game 3, starters play the first half and the first series of the 2nd half. Game 4, starters play a series or two.

If it's me, no starters play at all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
If it is my decision, these are the following:

1st stringers play One series (playing one series isn't exhausting anyone for next week, 10 days away) sans the following:

QB Dalton - only because of neck injury last week (precautionary)
RB Hill - No Reason to play
WR Green - No Reason to play
LT Whitworth - no reason and allow Fisher/somebody snaps with 1st string line
DT Atkins - no reason

All 1st stringers done after first series.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Reply/Quote