Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we trust Zac Taylor with the first overall QB?
Assuming things keep up, we're going to get the first pick and we're going to take a quarterback. With all that said and done, is Zac Taylor the right guy to potentially build the QB up to where he's at minimum a middle of the road starter like Stafford or Ryan? Because so far what I've seen this year is regression from everyone. No one that was on the roster is playing better this season than last season, and so far none of the rookies have shown they'd be starters anywhere else in the league.

I know it's only been a year but player development concerns me, and I'm not too sure how a Quarterbacks Coach for one year in the NFL is gonna spearhead the growth and development of our players going forward and most importantly, the next possible overall pick at the most critical position in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Yeah - The obvious answer is no.

He is a TERRIBLE offensive coordinator...and he was supposedly hired for his offensive mind.

His elite skill seems to be telling people at press conferences that the team is still buying into what he's selling. (And I see some fans repeat that now and then.) Well gee...New Dey is still alive because millionaire athletes aren't just standing there on the field! We're putting in effort and 0-11.
Reply/Quote
The playbook as been extremely limited due to lack of run game, offensive line issues, and no speed at WR.

Fact is when you start the season with your #1 playmaker injured, best linemen retired, and 3rd string LT, and then an early injury to the only WR with any speed it isnt going to be pretty.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 11:45 PM)Synric Wrote: The playbook as been extremely limited due to lack of run game, offensive line issues, and no speed at WR.

The interesting thing about the run game is that the past 3 games it's been better. So it is possible to run with the personnel we have, it was more a scheme issue. It still needs upgraded.

They don't even try to go deep because it takes some time to throw.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 11:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The interesting thing about the run game is that the past 3 games it's been better. So it is possible to run with the personnel we have, it was more a scheme issue. It still needs upgraded.

They don't even try to go deep because it takes some time to throw.

It's not scheme its straight up run blocking. Trying to blame it on scheme takes away from how bad Andre Smtih Bobby Hart and Michael Jordan were early this season. Billy Price hasn't been an upgrade and John Miller is the definition of average.

Run blocking has been the biggest issue on the entire team.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This. I think anyone with two functioning eyes would take Burrow but I'm not sure.

This team wasn't very good last year. I think we can all admit it but all those issues we had, have actually gotten INCREASINGLY WORSE. Lack of offensive production. Defense giving up more big plays. Obviously the team has taken a major step back under ZT. So, not sure I feel entirely comfortable under him.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 12:28 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: This. I think anyone with two functioning eyes would take Burrow but I'm not sure.

This team wasn't very good last year. I think we can all admit it but all those issues we had, have actually gotten INCREASINGLY WORSE. Lack of offensive production. Defense giving up more big plays. Obviously the team has taken a major step back under ZT. So, not sure I feel entirely comfortable under him.

A con of firing him is that the coaches do so much scouting here that you basically lose most of your scouting 2 years in a row.

Interestingly, the Bengals seem to be sending their scouts to things more than I can recall in past years. I'm reading the tea leaves, but this could mean that they're atleast open to firing this staff.
Reply/Quote
With comments about how college teams are years ahead of pro teams, I don't think that you do.  What a goofy thing to have come out of someone's mouth.  There was that and there was the belief that Ryan Finley could do better than UDFA or vet-minimum type of guys.  That was easily some of the worst QB play that I've ever seen in the pros.  He went stretches of plays where he'd hit a defender right in the hands with the ball.  A 5 yard out route should not look so impossible to throw accurately.  I don't think that ZT should have earned anyone's trust with evaluating or grooming QB talent.
Reply/Quote
Hard to say. The Bengals, despite their issues n personnel acquisition, have done a decent job over the last 17 seasons with the quarterback position.

The difference this year is that any 1st overall pick quarterback will inherit this horrendous group up front. Carson had a really good group when he came in, and it was solidified a year later with Bobbie Williams. Dalton had bookend tackles in Whit and Dre, with Boling developing along with him and the drafting of Zeitler in 12. Both were near-great lines in the making when those guys arrived.

The guys we have up front now are bags of shit with the exception of Hopkins. Price has proven himself to be awful over and over. Jordan is a backup. Miller is a below average jobber that is replacement level. Hart is a shit show that needs to be gone ASAP. He was a stopgap that the dumbass front office tried to get cute with and pass off as a viable starter. No sane person thought that was a good idea, and obviously it wasn't.

With any luck, Jonah won't be half the garbage-ass shitbag that Price has been. Even if he's an all-pro, you still have 3 spots that need addressed before you get Joe Burrow turned into hamburger next September. That is, unless this lazy collection of inbreds we call management is dumb enough to let Cordy Glenn get paid nearly 10 mil next season to play hookey and sabotage the group.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown and Zac Taylor both played quarterback in college and it’s the only position on the field they think they understand. It’s all they have in common. Mike loves a big arm quarterback and I’m sick of the Front Office ignoring the other position groups on the field — especially on defense. It’s the weirdest phobia I’ve ever seen in sports. Did Zac really think putting in Ryan Finley would magically fix a horrific offense? How does that help the run game? Going 0-8 and only changing the quarterback is the definition of incompetence.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 06:43 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: I'm not too sure how a Quarterbacks Coach for one year in the NFL is gonna spearhead the growth and development of our players going forward and most importantly, the next possible overall pick at the most critical position in the NFL.

I hope, hope, HOPE we don't go QB in the first round. However, if we do, I'm confident with not only ZT, but the rest of the QB experience around him to assist in the selection. Doesn't matter tho, because without an OL, the new, unexperienced QB will be dead by 2021. RIP whoever you may be if they choose you. Let's save a life and hope for another direction. If not?

[Image: tumblr_nhynymZVex1tdo66yo2_r1_500.gif]

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 01:33 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Brown and Zac Taylor both played quarterback in college and it’s the only position on the field they think they understand. It’s all they have in common. Mike loves a big arm quarterback and I’m sick of the Front Office ignoring the other position groups on the field — especially on defense. It’s the weirdest phobia I’ve ever seen in sports. Did Zac really think putting in Ryan Finley would magically fix a horrific offense? How does that help the run game? Going 0-8 and only changing the quarterback is the definition of incompetence.

I’ve pointed out to you several times now (you keep ignoring it) that we HAVE NOT ignored the defensive side of the ball.

Dennard 1st round
Kirkpatrick 1st round
WJ3 1st round
Atkins 4th round
Dunlap 2nd round
Bates 2nd round
Hubbard 3rd round
Pratt 3rd round
Lawson 4th round
Vigil 3rd round
Billings 4th round
Hunt 2nd round
Williams 3rd round

And with the exception of Geno and Dunlap that’s just the Dalton era...

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 01:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve pointed out to you several times now (you keep ignoring it) that we HAVE NOT ignored the defensive side of the ball.

Dennard 1st round
Kirkpatrick 1st round
WJ3 1st round
Atkins 4th round
Dunlap 2nd round
Bates 2nd round
Hubbard 3rd round
Pratt 3rd round
Lawson 4th round
Vigil 3rd round
Billings 4th round
Hunt 2nd round
Williams 3rd round

And with the exception of Geno and Dunlap that’s just the Dalton era...

Outside of Atkins, Dunlap, and Hubbard, have any of those players you mentioned upgraded the defense?
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 02:04 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Outside of Atkins, Dunlap, and Hubbard, have any of those players you mentioned upgraded the defense?

Yes. Billings and Lawson are good players. Some of the younger guys like WJ3 and Bates have at least shown potential of being good. We’ve gotten some good years out of Shawn Williams and Dre.

And that wasn’t your point anyway. You claimed they’ve ignored other position groups for years, “especially on defense.” They haven’t.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 02:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes. Billings and Lawson are good players. Some of the younger guys like WJ3 and Bates have at least shown potential of being good. We’ve gotten some good years out of Shawn Williams and Dre.

And that wasn’t your point anyway. You claimed they’ve ignored other position groups for years, “especially on defense.” They haven’t.

I truly want to be wrong about this. I hope you are correct.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 06:43 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Assuming things keep up, we're going to get the first pick and we're going to take a quarterback. With all that said and done, is Zac Taylor the right guy to potentially build the QB up to where he's at minimum a middle of the road starter like Stafford or Ryan? Because so far what I've seen this year is regression from everyone. No one that was on the roster is playing better this season than last season, and so far none of the rookies have shown they'd be starters anywhere else in the league.

I know it's only been a year but player development concerns me, and I'm not too sure how a Quarterbacks Coach for one year in the NFL is gonna spearhead the growth and development of our players going forward and most importantly, the next possible overall pick at the most critical position in the NFL.

I have my doubts. I hope he proves me wrong.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 01:33 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Brown and Zac Taylor both played quarterback in college and it’s the only position on the field they think they understand.  It’s all they have in common.  Mike loves a big arm quarterback and I’m sick of the Front Office ignoring the other position groups on the field — especially on defense.  It’s the weirdest phobia I’ve ever seen in sports.  Did Zac really think putting in Ryan Finley would magically fix a horrific offense?  How does that help the run game?  Going 0-8 and only changing the quarterback is the definition of incompetence.

I agree 100%, Ryan Finley was sent out there to fail. There's no run game and no line, how is he supposed to move the football? It's the main reason why Dalton hasn't been any good this year so why ZT would think a mid-round rookie would look any better is baffling.
Reply/Quote
Jared Goff seems to have taken a step backward without Zac as his coach

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 01:43 PM)pally Wrote: Jared Goff seems to have taken a step backward without Zac as his coach

Or the rest of the league has just figured McVay’s offense out...

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 01:09 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: With comments about how college teams are years ahead of pro teams, I don't think that you do.  What a goofy thing to have come out of someone's mouth.  There was that and there was the belief that Ryan Finley could do better than UDFA or vet-minimum type of guys.  That was easily some of the worst QB play that I've ever seen in the pros.  He went stretches of plays where he'd hit a defender right in the hands with the ball.  A 5 yard out route should not look so impossible to throw accurately.  I don't think that ZT should have earned anyone's trust with evaluating or grooming QB talent.

I honestly don't know why he was even considered a HC candidate in the first place?

This guy has leapfrogged many other coordinators and coaches that have more experience.

Just a terrible choice and has not flashed any sign of a great football mind as was claimed.

The thing I'm most pissed about is how the ownership has floundered.

It's not a re-build.  It's not a win-now.  What the F is it?

[Image: th?id=OIP.1SKpuiAZyLlwL69rm6-eRAHaE8&pid...=239&h=160] [Image: th?id=OIP.VyQXZ-Tqnv0uToknI_FAsQHaE8&pid...=261&h=175]  [Image: th?id=OIP.ELoMvGdfj6kioqMhD1bFDwHaGV&pid...=189&h=163]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote