Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we want this staff near a #1 pick?
(11-24-2019, 08:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was hopeful they could groom a QB properly until I saw how poorly Ryan Finley has performed. I get it's probably too early to judge him but there's nothing so far that gives optimism this staff can groom a QB.

That’s why you get an experienced quarterback in free agency instead of drafting one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 07:00 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Does the #1 pick want to be near this staff?

I'm guessing HELL NO in big bright shining lights with sirens blaring.

Elway and Eli prove you can avoid it. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 10:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s why you get an experienced quarterback in free agency instead of drafting one.

But they already have Andy Dalton  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 09:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No it's not. The point of this thread is to find another way of belittling the coaching staff. they are 0-12, we get it. It's like all these threads are started to try and convince fans we are losing, like we don't know that? We have good QB coaching talent on this team. You can't blame that on a QB with this bad of an OL. Geez, did you see Hart today? He was a turnstile. Finley is not busting it up like we would have loved to have seen, but heck, many were yelling 1st round pick before he was even starting. 

There are small improvements being made IMO. Yes, I said small. But at least we are starting to see some. Cant tank a coach on his first year. Plus, I blame a lot of this on Marvin and also the fact ZT got a very late start because of postseason. As for the point of the thread, we don't need a QB in the first round anyway. We have to fix the OL and the D. 

This is Marvin's fault? How so?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 09:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No it's not. The point of this thread is to find another way of belittling the coaching staff. they are 0-12, we get it. It's like all these threads are started to try and convince fans we are losing, like we don't know that? We have good QB coaching talent on this team. You can't blame that on a QB with this bad of an OL. Geez, did you see Hart today? He was a turnstile. Finley is not busting it up like we would have loved to have seen, but heck, many were yelling 1st round pick before he was even starting. 

There are small improvements being made IMO. Yes, I said small. But at least we are starting to see some. Cant tank a coach on his first year. Plus, I blame a lot of this on Marvin and also the fact ZT got a very late start because of postseason. As for the point of the thread, we don't need a QB in the first round anyway. We have to fix the OL and the D. 

I think when you have a roster where basically everyone looks worse...that it's valid to ask if this is the right staff to develop a #1 pick.

We saw Dalton get worse under Taylor. We see Taylor traded up to draft Finley and now Finley looks like a terrible QB.

IF we get Burrow, do we roll the dice with a new staff?

We're 0-11. Teams that are intentionally trying to lose for draft picks are better than us.

And not needing a QB? Who would the QB be? When Finley had time and Erickson broke wide open he threw it out of bounds. He did that to Tate in I believe the Raiders game too. Finley missed guys by a wide margin.

Yeah the line is bad...but when these QB's get time...they don't get the job done. When the line is fixed...it will just look like the QB's are terrible then.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 07:48 PM)jason Wrote: You see him and Dalton chillin' and chatting on the bench? He gone...

Zac Taylor makes AJ Green's ankle swell.

Tiger He may want to be gone.

But then there's that F word: Franchise Tag... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 10:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh...maybe.  I thought ZT was supposed to revive Dalton's career with that QB-whispering.

This was my hopes as well. He looked like he got rid of some bad habits at beginning, but progressively got worse. I don’t blame the coaches tho where Dalton is concerned. 

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 11:11 PM)jason Wrote: This is Marvin's fault? How so?

Keeping players past their prime is one reason. Marvin knew this OL was bad also and did little to improve it. But TBF, We don’t know who to blame for the rapid decline since MB has his hands in all this.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 02:47 AM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger He may want to be gone.

But then there's that F word: Franchise Tag... 

Bengals week 4 2020 injury report... AJ Green doubtful ankle.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They seem to make guys much worse:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

no...   Defense is coming around so far if the staff is the same that's who I give the #1 pick to.....

But would prefer to drop everyone and start again... a #1 pick is something that can attract a coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 08:26 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Keeping players past their prime is one reason. Marvin knew this OL was bad also and did little to improve it. But TBF, We don’t know who to blame for the rapid decline since MB has his hands in all this.

did marvin have that power...  It seemed he lost some after 2015  and it was all down hill from there.
Reply/Quote

Can't blame ML for the poor play or the lack of play any more. The ML excuse train left the station as soon as he was let go by the organization. ZT is now the HC and he had spring camp and training camp to get this team ready. From what I have seen this team was properly prepared for 1 game this season. The coaches job is to prepare the team for each game and from what I have seen there was only one game this season the team was prepared to play, game 1. That is on the current coaching staff, not ML or Mike Brown. It is ZT and his coaching staff that is to blame for the team's failure. 

The only bright spot from what I have seen is the special teams; that is it. And that is the lone experienced coach that is in charge of a unit within the team. All the other coaches are doing it for the first time and it has been on display each week. 

Failure thus far is a result of the HC, OC and DC all lacking experience. Hard to built a winning team when you main play callers all lack experience doing just that, game planning and calling plays to help the team get into winning situations. 

For some reason they did a great job against the Seahawks and since that game they have lost their way. 
Reply/Quote
The defense plays well enough to win IF we could just get opponents to play 4th String QB, sit #1 WR, #1 RB, and Pro Bowl Center every week.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 11:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: did marvin have that power...  It seemed he lost some after 2015  and it was all down hill from there.

Speculation was after management selected Ross against his wishes that he totally stepped back from Personnel.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 11:55 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Can't blame ML for the poor play or the lack of play any more. The ML excuse train left the station as soon as he was let go by the organization. ZT is now the HC and he had spring camp and training camp to get this team ready. From what I have seen this team was properly prepared for 1 game this season. The coaches job is to prepare the team for each game and from what I have seen there was only one game this season the team was prepared to play, game 1. That is on the current coaching staff, not ML or Mike Brown. It is ZT and his coaching staff that is to blame for the team's failure. 

The only bright spot from what I have seen is the special teams; that is it. And that is the lone experienced coach that is in charge of a unit within the team. All the other coaches are doing it for the first time and it has been on display each week. 

Failure thus far is a result of the HC, OC and DC all lacking experience. Hard to built a winning team when you main play callers all lack experience doing just that, game planning and calling plays to help the team get into winning situations. 

For some reason they did a great job against the Seahawks and since that game they have lost their way. 

Precisely. I get not making the playoffs this year. To me, saying the roster isn't playoff caliber is one thing.

We can't win 1 single game.

The Browns when they went 0-16 gutted their entire roster. We legit are trying to win this year. THAT'S how bad this is.
Reply/Quote

No shit. Can we get one of them "All Things Zac Taylor" subforums Harley? Just how many variations of "Zac Taylor Sucks" threads do we need? 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 11:11 PM)jason Wrote: This is Marvin's fault? How so?

Well....Marvin only won one of the last 9 himself....and the team has been circling the drain since the 2015 meltdown if we're being honest....

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 12:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well....Marvin only won one of the last 9 himself....and the team has been circling the drain since the 2015 meltdown if we're being honest....

Was it ML who made the lowball offers to players that left in FA? Was it ML that hand picked the OL that failed? He made mid season decision with a OC and DC because well they hurt the team. Overall the Bengals need an experience HC that brings in an experience OC and DC. 

I'm all for the team rebuilding the coaching staff again. ZT isn't the answer IMO. I hope he proves me wrong next year, but right now I don't think he and the coaching staff he has is the answer. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They seem to make guys much worse:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This thread is off the rails. The last time the Bengals had a top 5 pick they grabbed AJ Green. A. Smith was almost 20 years ago. He was also a consensus can't miss pick by scouts and GM's around the league.

I will take our chances. Those who say it has to be a QB, I disagree. Young is a beast at 6'6" and 330, quick and fast. He is a game changer. Think of a rotation of Dunlap, Young, Lawson and Hubbard. Also, Young is not only a beast pass rusher, he plays the run very well. The more I look at this, I think we should grab Young to start our rebuild as Dunlap is also aging.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 11:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think when you have a roster where basically everyone looks worse...that it's valid to ask if this is the right staff to develop a #1 pick.

We saw Dalton get worse under Taylor. We see Taylor traded up to draft Finley and now Finley looks like a terrible QB.

IF we get Burrow, do we roll the dice with a new staff?

We're 0-11. Teams that are intentionally trying to lose for draft picks are better than us.

And not needing a QB? Who would the QB be? When Finley had time and Erickson broke wide open he threw it out of bounds. He did that to Tate in I believe the Raiders game too. Finley missed guys by a wide margin.

Yeah the line is bad...but when these QB's get time...they don't get the job done. When the line is fixed...it will just look like the QB's are terrible then.

Last season Dalton played behind Glenn/Boling/Hopkins(Price)/Redmond/Hart.

This season it was Jerry(Smith)/Jordan(Price)/Hopkins/Miller/Hart

Last season he had AJ to start the season and the run game was clicking.

Once Green and others got injured, Glenn missed time, etc....Dalton struggled too.

With the offense exponentially worse personnel wise than it was last year, exactly how did you expect Dalton to NOT struggle?

Taylor is not doing well to say the least, but lately I'm seeing you make stuff up out of thin air to pile on (like saying AZ oline is worse than ours when Football Outsiders says AZ is 22nd and we're 31st or 30th)....why? Why the need to just make stuff up? You're better than that bro.

Finley is mediocre with below average arm strength. Our WRs are blanketed most plays, he doesn't have the arm to throw them open, nor the time to let things develop down the field on most plays due to lousy protection. Naturally, a rookie with these limitations is going to struggle with these problems surrounding him. It's like some people have never played the sport. 

It's also time to see how Dolegala plays.

Reply/Quote