Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you agree or disagree with this guys opioion?
From letters to the editor - toledo blade - 4/27/05

Natural forces shape the workplace

Columnist Thomas Sowell seems to have no trouble understanding how natural economic forces shape the financial marketplace. Why then does he resort to bizarre conspiracy theories to explain things that are clearly the result of natural social forces shaping the workplace?

He is alarmed that, in the universities, "it is not at all uncommon to find a whole academic department - sociology for example - without a single Republican."

Does he imagine that there are long lines of neo-con applicants outside the dean's office being hit on the head and carried away by liberal trolls who live in the basement?

People who choose to spend their lives studying the problems of society - poverty, discrimination, class mobility, community health, and the like - tend to see the Democratic Party as more aligned with their interests than the Republican Party.

If I were to visit a businessmen's club with a $5,000 initiation fee I would not be surprised if I didn't find a single Democrat. Such people tend to see the Republican Party as more aligned with their interests.

Earlier columns have expressed fears over reports that a majority of workers in the news media are Democrats. Isn't this clearly because people who spend their lives observing at first hand, reporting, and analyzing the facts of political life tend to become convinced that the Democratic philosophy is the preferable one?

But, no! Mr. Sowell would have it that the "liberal media" have been taken over by a sinister left-wing conspiracy.

It's really quite simple: People who spend their lives helping others tend to be Democrats. People who spend their lives helping themselves tend to be Republicans.

Mr. Sowell can rest easy. The things he hears going bump in the night are just the neighbors downstairs coming home from the 3-to-11 shift.

D M

Lambertville
Because I'm bored, I'm going to answer without reading, then read it, and then defend my choice. I am saying yes I agree.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Damn.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(12-17-2018, 01:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Damn.

lol, this is why you're one of my favorite posters.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I'd amend it to: People who believe we have an obligation to help each other tend to be Democrats. People who believe we have an obligation to help ourselves tend to be Republicans.

The original makes it sound like Republicans are selfish, and I do not believe that blanket statement is factual. I think the concept of personal responsibility plays a huge role.

Sometimes Republicans ignore roadblocks in the way for others. Sometimes Democrats see more options available to help than really exist.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-17-2018, 03:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'd amend it to: People who believe we have an obligation to help each other tend to be Democrats. People who believe we have an obligation to help ourselves tend to be Republicans.

The original makes it sound like Republicans are selfish, and I do not believe that blanket statement is factual. I think the concept of personal responsibility plays a huge role.

Sometimes Republicans ignore roadblocks in the way for others. Sometimes Democrats see more options available to help than really exist.

I agree more with the Bolded that the OP's post.

I help several families outside of my own annually and they are mainly children of single moms.
That is the segment that I wish to help the most. The kids can't help it if their dads have abandoned them. And I am fully for going after those dads. I also do not believe in helping mothers that do not know who the father is, they know in most cases. Use DNA testing and confirm. The fathers should not be allowed to get away that easy.
(12-17-2018, 03:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'd amend it to: People who believe we have an obligation to help each other tend to be Democrats. People who believe we have an obligation to help ourselves tend to be Republicans.

Republicans use that tough love bullshit as an excuse to be selfish.  It reminds me of when Judge Smails said, "I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."