Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you believe in Jeremy Hill?
Some honest thoughts here from Ken Zampese, Marvin Lewis and Jeremy. Good stuff, I think.
He knows what's on the line.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/04/do-you-believe-in-cincinnati-bengals-running-back-jeremy-hill/540768001/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
No.

Granted, it's a contract year. Players have been known to suddenly perform much better during those.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm not ready to write off Jeremy Hill as a productive back in the NFL. The injury aside, something else change in his style. He went from coming like a cannonball, straight to the second and third level of the defense, to attempting to juke and move in the backfield. He's just not that type of runner. If he's healthy, I really thing that we'll see the same J Hill we did in his rookie season.

If not just for personal pride, but to show his worth to the rest of the league. Seems pretty obvious to me that he won't be getting a large second contract with the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not ready to write off Jeremy Hill as a productive back in the NFL.  The injury aside, something else change in his style.  He went from coming like a cannonball, straight to the second and third level of the defense, to attempting to juke and move in the backfield.  He's just not that type of runner.  If he's healthy, I really thing that we'll see the same J Hill we did in his rookie season.

If not just for personal pride, but to show his worth to the rest of the league.  Seems pretty obvious to me that he won't be getting a large second contract with the Bengals.

I think a large portion of that is/was a lack of faith in the line.  Just like a QB can get happy feet from getting hit too much, I think a back can get happy feet from getting hit in the backfield too often, all in anticipation of having to evade a defender that hasn't penetrated the line yet.
Reply/Quote
Nice article Jim, Thanks

But in a word - no, I don't believe. I hope he proves me wrong !
Reply/Quote
I think Hill is having a childhood moment here (you know, when your defeated by big brother and run to drink Gatorade and think it gave you the power to conquer the world, only to be trampled on again)? Ok, maybe that's an analogy only I will understand. But really, i don't trust Hill. He's mentally weak. His jukin and jivin in the backfield only lead to his demise. He was productive until then, but he wanted to have flare, "whooooooooo!" (Some of you older folk will get that comparison).

So let's go to the fumble. Hill says he's going to get more serious. He's going to stay focused. Well, he also said he wasn't going to celebrate after a touchdown. His production pretty much sucked badly out of the gate. By week 5 or 6, he started celebrating, lost focus, and was a douchebag again. Kid loves fame when he's productive. However, when he starts swimming in it, his production sinks faster than a cylinder block to the ocean floor. This is how I will always remember him:

[Image: cinfum.0.gif&key=64da4cf2583f9458ff8254b...ee9d917a7a]

Give the ball to Mixon and Bernard. Pay Hill to ride the bench and let's have a SB season. If you involve him into it, prepare to be one and done in the postseason, if we even make it that far.

My suggestion, if you want the best out of him? Don't play him for at least 3 games. Make him feel like he has to earn it. He will come out like a lion again. If he doesn't, we were better off. If he does? Well then, know we truly have an arsenal.

Reply/Quote
I've said all-along that I don't believe, and, even though that article is more of a fluff piece and designed to get you excited, it does make me feel good.

However, then I think back to all the dancing he did in the backfield and how he wasn't hitting the holes hard last season.

If we didn't have Mixon, I might at least hope that Hill can bring it again, but I think giving him the ball at all slows Mixon's production and development, and makes our offense less-explosive.

I feel like one of Marvin's flaws is that like he lets guys like Hill have one more year to prove himself instead of moving on (being loyal to a fault), and I feel like it could cause us to lose some games.
Reply/Quote
I believe The Bengals were not very good last year.

I believe jobs should be EARNED in Training Camp, Preseason and During The Season.

I believe Mixon has not gained one yard in the NFL yet.

I believe fan is short for fanatic

I believe fans are often wrong.

I believe practice hard, play hard, may the best men earn jobs, may the Bengals come together as a TEAM.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I've suspected for the past 2 years that Hill had been injured. If he's healthy again, I think he could recapture some of his 2014 form.

But Mixon will be better.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 02:39 AM)MaineBengal Wrote: I've suspected for the past 2 years that Hill had been injured. If he's healthy again, I think he could recapture some of his 2014 form.

So, your saying his shoulder told his feet to dance in the backfield?

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 05:53 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: So, your saying his shoulder told his feet to dance in the backfield?

IMHO, Hill has been watching too much tape of Le'veon Bell dancing around.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 05:53 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: So, your saying his shoulder told his feet to dance in the backfield?

Don't put words in my mouth.

But if your shoulder is hurting, would you want to smash it into the line into multiple 300 pound men who want to bring you down? Even if it's not a conscious choice, it's gotta be part of the equation.

Recovering mental form after an injury is an important step... part of trusting your body to do what it is supposed to.
Reply/Quote
Hill doesn't break tackles anymore. That's just the truth of it. So much as touch his feet, and he falls down.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 01:36 PM)MaineBengal Wrote: Don't put words in my mouth.

First of all. Your a guy. I have no interest in putting anything in your mouth.

Quote:But if your shoulder is hurting, would you want to smash it into the line into multiple 300 pound men who want to bring you down? Even if it's not a conscious choice, it's gotta be part of the equation.

If it effects your play, you tell the coach and let Burkhead produce. Not all about your individual stats!

Quote:Recovering mental form after an injury is an important step... part of trusting your body to do what it is supposed to.

Trusting your body to break out John Travolta moves behind the LOS has nothing to do with trusting your body. It has everything to do with showboating and then looking like a Girl Scout when touched by the defense. I swear, take away his Cleveland stats, and this joke is back to wearing Converse!

Reply/Quote
Yes.. and he has looked good today ... we can;t have too much talent in the backfield, a position so prone to injury ( interesting point about Hill and shoulder last year)... I believe the running game will be improved this year and take pressure off our pass protection , when you can run the ball, it helps play action and keeps you out of 3rd and longs...
Reply/Quote
Nah. I don't. 

I don't think he has the vision to be a good back when his line isn't opening holes for him. Also, i don't think he has a smart enough coaching staff to notice which plays he excels with and which ones he doesn't. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I believe that he makes the team better and is a capable goal line/short yardage back in the NFL. Do I believe that he's better than Mixon or Geo at this point? Not until I see it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 06:28 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Some honest thoughts here from Ken Zampese, Marvin Lewis and Jeremy. Good stuff, I think.
He knows what's on the line.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/04/do-you-believe-in-cincinnati-bengals-running-back-jeremy-hill/540768001/

Jeremy Hill is a solid NFL starting back. I love the idea of keeping running backs fresh all 16 games. Hill takes a lot of punishment due to his running style so the idea he can take fewer hits and have more time to recover excites me. Add in Gio as a 3rd back with Mixon leading the way, this team could be special at running back in 2017. I will never root against a player and hope he does not perform, the more players contributing, the better our team.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 08:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jeremy Hill is a solid NFL starting back. I love the idea of keeping running backs fresh all 16 games. Hill takes a lot of punishment due to his running style so the idea he can take fewer hits and have more time to recover excites me. Add in Gio as a 3rd back with Mixon leading the way, this team could be special at running back in 2017. I will never root against a player and hope he does not perform, the more players contributing, the better our team.

I can agree as long as Mixon is leading the way.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 02:39 AM)MaineBengal Wrote: I've suspected for the past 2 years that Hill had been injured. If he's healthy again, I think he could recapture some of his 2014 form.

That's the hope.  And I agree, I think he's been hurt, which changes things.   The bigger concern has been his vision and his contact balance - especially when tripped.  He seems to go down a little easy.   But I think he will recapture some of his 2014 form - and he looked pretty darn good at the time.  Hopefully the mental part of things will come along.  That's actually my biggest concern.

And yes, Mixon will be better.  But it will be good to have Hill too.
Reply/Quote