Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you believe in magic...and curses?
(01-08-2021, 09:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not necessarily, MB has put together some damn fine teams. Palmer and Dalton both would probably have taken us to the Super Bowl, each in one respective year, if it were not for them getting injured. 

Yeah, but the numbers also show Mike has seven winning seasons out of 30. Consequently, his management and leadership failures have been the rule and not the exception. His winning percentage over that time is also terrible.

Mike and Carl Lindner/Castellini share the some penchant for penny pinching. They have zero Playoff/Playoff series wins between them. Old Marge stayed out of the way and won a title. Her gutting of the minor league program hurt the team’s ability to develop more talent, but they had a good nucleus and two good managers. Sadly, the 90 Reds are the only title we’ve seen in the past 30 years.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 09:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not necessarily, MB has put together some damn fine teams. Palmer and Dalton both would probably have taken us to the Super Bowl, each in one respective year, if it were not for them getting injured. 

That is true. However, all of those damn fine teams were done with Marvin and he's gone. Now we're back to MB and we saw his 90's. Now it's the 2020's and we're back to his 90's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
There's no such thing as curses.

This is such a thing as Mike Brown not knowing how to go all in on a championship run.

Mr. Half Measure is the reason for all the Bengals woes since 1991.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It's entertaining to talk about curses and blame it on Bo, but the reality is pretty simply that the org has been poorly run since MB took over, and he's never taken big steps in mitigating the shortcomings of the FO comprised of family.

In the Reds' case, it's an issue of being a small market team, and running that in a way to compete is a challenge. It can be done, but it's not easy. Seems they get good pitching but have no offense or get the bats but never the pitching. Constant seesaw, and hard to maintain a balanced roster with a limited payroll.

I don't Cincy sports are cursed, I think there are very logical explanations for the issues of each team. But there has definitely been a long stretch of pain. I only get back to the city every couple of years to visit family at this point and it's great to see how downtown has undergone a revitalization. If the Reds and Bengals can field championship caliber teams, the city would be rocking with energy. It's a very passionate fanbase but it's hard to remain engaged for people who have other priorities in life. I'd love to see things flip, I think the city and fans deserve it.

All that said, if Bo came to town and buried a hatchet under the tile at Fountain Square, that would be both hilarious and awesome.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That is true. However, all of those damn fine teams were done with Marvin and he's gone. Now we're back to MB and we saw his 90's. Now it's the 2020's and we're back to his 90's.

Didn't it take 3 years for Marvin to get us to the playoffs?  

It just so happens ZT's third year is about to happen.... 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:06 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Didn't it take 3 years for Marvin to get us to the playoffs?  

Yes, after taking a 2-14 team and making back to back 8-8 seasons before the third season of 11-5. 
Reply/Quote
I understand the Bengals poor management and the Reds smaller market meaning we will be bad in general. However, we have not had that season where things just fall into place or we get a lucky bounce. Call it the "blind squirrel finding a nut" season as someone mentioned earlier for at least one of the city's teams. Heck, for how bad the Browns have been, at least Cleveland has a NBA title and an AL baseball pennant recently.

Even when we seem to have a good team, every single luck-based factor seems to go against us. It is always Palmer's knee, Kenyon's leg, Dalton's thumb, Cueto's side, Hill's fumble,etc.. If water finds its level, we should see a wave of good fortune right???
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:34 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: I understand the Bengals poor management and the Reds smaller market meaning we will be bad in general.  However, we have not had that season where things just fall into place or we get a lucky bounce.  Call it the "blind squirrel finding a nut" season as someone mentioned earlier for at least one of the city's teams.  Heck, for how bad the Browns have been, at least Cleveland has a NBA title and an AL baseball pennant recently.

Even when we seem to have a good team, every single luck-based factor seems to go against us.  It is always Palmer's knee, Kenyon's leg, Dalton's thumb, Cueto's side, Hill's fumble,etc..  If water finds its level, we should see a wave of good fortune right???

Law of averages should have the city due for some winning for sure.  But you've got to put yourself in the position to be lucky, and not just once every several years.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:06 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Didn't it take 3 years for Marvin to get us to the playoffs?  

Marvin took a previously 2-14 team and had 16 wins in his first two years. Taylor took a 6 win team and managed only 6 wins in the next two years.

I can see the difference between the two. Can you?

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 11:59 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: Harrleson, He admits he Cursed us

Yes, and again, that's why I included his pic.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Most of the games we have lost we have deserved to lose.

The only time I really considered a curse or bad luck was after the last two games of the '06 season. Back-to-back losses due to a missed XP and a missed chip shot 37 yd FG kept us out of the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
I also believe Auden Tate was cursed this year for wearing #19 during the Covid-19 pandemic.

No other possible explanation for an unstoppable red zone threat having zero tds.
Reply/Quote